Squad Barometer - Forwards Select 2

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Jul 5, 2017.

?

Forwards - Select 2

Poll closed Jul 5, 2018.
  1. Werner

29 vote(s)
    93.5%
  2. Stindl

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Gomez

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  4. Wagner

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. Kruse

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Volland

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. Selke

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Platte

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I stated I added their ages that match end of the season because if they move they will be that age. Besides Glatzel turns 25 in Jan 8, that's basically a month from now.

point is none of this lot will ever be relevant besides not being good enough and being old players playing in 2BL.

1BL the harder league has a ton of younger strikers whether Germans or not while 2BL is filled with old guys. No one ever said old guys can't play anymore but doesn't mean they are young. No player 30+ or nearing that is young and that list is pretty old. A soon to be 25 year old is the youngest in top 10.

2BL isn't always easy to score, some games are freaking slow paced and parking the bus too. Other games, strikers only get a few chances all game long. It doesn't help that a lot of teams waste possession, bad crosses, tons of missed passed, very inefficient. Pretty much why most these players aren't good enough for 1BL. Everytime I watch any match you can clearly see that majority are doubtful to ever make 1BL. In fact it feels like best shoot for most of these guys is like FD, get promotion to 1BL.

2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Arp because Lasogga who is preferred, being more experienced/older has forced him to being played as LW. I'm sure to him it's all about getting playing time, but ultimately he's not a winger nor should be developed as one. So can't blame him if he's not as efficient coming from the wings. Still being a winger will force him to take players on which will improve his game a lot more. Force him to be more of a provider, crosses, combination with others etc.

Serra is doing his job as a targetman and between goals/assists this season he's not lacking in production. And like you keep saying role isn't only to score goals, win duals, be a pain to defenders, draw defenders etc.

3. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Strikers in general are trending towards older ones

In World Cup, the better CFs were Mandzukic, Cavani, Dyzuba

I think the intersting thing is the cycle of strikers. Coaches always prefer 24-32 year olds in that position nowadays

Not only in Bundesliga but also other leagues . Especially for teams that play with one CF (4231 or 433 or 343) they prefer someone more experienced and physically stronger/bigger to play CF.

And before they turn 32, strikers won’t be considered to be replaced. So the cycle for strikers have been delayed

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I did notice that trend and it sucks for followers of German football because the 98-onwards striker have potential and it sucks to have to see older has been strikers take precedence over players with potential.

5. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Few years back , I only saw 1998 strikers in Eggestein, Serra And Daferner have potential to play in top divisions. I still think I m pretty much correct

1999 I predicted 4: Florian Kruger, David Otto, Torben Musel and Wintzheimer

2000 I predicted Arp, Herrmann, Hottmann, Malone. (Burkardt I saw him as AM or winger)

2001 - Dajaku but he isn’t really a CF . Maybe Makanda but he wasn’t eligible back then

2002- Woltemade, Pakia, Adeyemi, Thielmann, Asllani, Borkowski , Kramny

2003 - too early to tell but Gedikli has to be one.

So there aren’t as many options in 2BL

I think before 2002, like some of the 1997-2001 strikers might make it to 1BL but they aren’t that talented. Just don’t see much talent

There were some issue with the development of natural striker in Germany (well maybe worldwide other than Argentina) . After 2001... situation is better

6. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Waldschmidt establishing himself as a starter and scoring (from a penalty) for Freiburg is good to see.

Meanwhile the 94's continue to look like a tragic age group. Höler not able to make the most of his chances and missed several important sitters. Also another 2BL to 1BL player.

After the discussion of Yesil, Ducksch earlier. Quaschner is also one that has faded.

7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Made this post a while ago. Gonna update it for the future generation once we get past the current 5 for Germany of: Werner, Selke, Füllkrug, Petersen, Stindl.

In 4 years for the 2022 WC, we could be looking at options like: Waldschmidt, Knöll, Teuchert, J.Eggestein, Serra, D.Otto, Krüger and Arp emerge into the senior NT scene.

From observations around Europe, I find France continuing to be rather formidable in their players. Their next generation looking like: Mbappe, Haller, Plea, Martial, M. Dembele, Augustin and Edouard

While Holland also has several young forwards and wingers beginning to emerge within the Eredivisie such as Lammers, Boadu, Venema, Bergwijn and Malen

Ger90 repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    there could be more though between Daferner/Nieland/Kruger/Musel.
    not going to include any 00-onwards outside of Arp. Let's see what happens to the 00 strikers after their last eligible U19 season is over.More than one already made their pro debuts or at least played in RL.

9. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Wonder how the logjam situation among Freiburg and their reserve squad will work out. Daferner started the season well in RL but then missed about 5 games for undisclosed reason possibly injury, and still working to get back into form. Although among him, Nieland and Pieringer there's 3 potential pro players in the reserves. While in the seniors even with Niederlechner injured, there's still Petersen, Waldschmidt, Hoeler, and Kleindienst so not necessarily a shortage in type of striker options either.

Ger90 repped this.
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Niederlechner seems currently fit but yeah their 5 strikers doesn't leave room for 1BL chances.

but according to TM, all 3 of Daferner/Nieland/Pieringer have 2019 expiring contracts. Also interesting that Kleindienst also has a 2019 contract (also played the least this season from the 5) while Niederlechner is up until 2020. If one or both leave that could be a chance for one players to move up. If not than they should leave the club in Summer. Daferner for one needs to leave if he has no 1st team chances it's about time he starts to play pro level.

11. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well good news is that Daferner does seem rated by Freiburg.

I don't have access of Bild plus but from what I could find looks like
    "Promising: the brothers Keven (21) and Nico Schlotterbeck (18) and Sturm-Jewel Christoph Daferner (20)."
    https://www.bild.de/bild-plus/sport...nft-58612556,view=conversionToLogin.bild.html

does make one think Nieland should try his luck in 2BL in the Summer if the focus is on Daferner in terms of future 1st team prospects.

Epitome990 repped this.
  13. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Petersen n Selke? Petersen is old n lacks class, Selke doesn’t even start for Hertha n scoring one goal thus far

Not option for now I guess

If Germany are playing 3-4-3, I wonder where Havertz will position himself in this team . We have many options at 8, he has not much defence n it’s a waste to pull him away from final third

He isn’t a 6 either

Would like to see Havertz being tried out at front 3. Not nexcessarily CF, but he has to play as one of the three forwards /SS

Kimmich and Kroos is most likely scenario.. Goretzka, Neuhaus, Gundogan, Emre Can, Maxi Eggestein, Demirbay, Hofmann and co are some of the other options at “8” . Dahoud needs time tho

At “6” , our options are limited tho. Kimmich(?), Emre Can, Demme And Khedira. Well Lars Bender too if u wanna include him. But that’s it

——RWB—Kimmich—-Neuhaus—-Max
    ———Gnabry—-Havertz—-Sane

I actually think it’s an interesting set up

14. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jonathan Burkardt is pretty much 1st team bounded,

Maybe him n Arp have best chance to breakout in the 2000 crop. Herrmann, Hottmann, Malone, Ihorst and Akono are some others 2000ers

2001 maybe only Jastremski worths mentioning now. Others have they their issues... I m particularly disappointed at Dautaj who isn’t injured

2002 we have 8 talented kids: Nick Woltemade, Karim Adeyemi, Ware Pakia, Jan Thielmann, Dennis Borkowski, Fisnik Asllani, Maurice Kramny , Sven Kronemayer. David Hummel has two serious injuries in last two season so it’s tough for him . Out of these all, I think we will be very lucky if 2-3 eventually Pan out

15. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fisnik Asllani may choose Kosovo for now but he said it’s still open

He plays for smaller club n wasn’t rated by anyone before this Season(after his growth spurt). DFB didn’t approach him at first, Kosovo did. Now he also does trial for DFB but since he has joined Kosovo before he wanna takes his decision later of when he wanna switch back to Germany.

Because he only wanna make one change

16. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Asllani has done two trials with DFB now... if they think he’s good (Michael Feichtenbeiner is also a nice coach) , then based on their judgement they should pick him if they think he’s good enough or have a future with Germany

If they think he doesn’t offer much other than scoring then that’s another story

But I think Asllani shouldn’t rush to make any decision for now. He needs time to consider since he was provisionally capped by Kosovo before his breakout

But he seems happy with DFB

17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    best German prospects are Reese, Y.Otto, lyoha, Amenyido, Lohkemper, Putaro, Kyeremateng .

all world class prospects!:p

but seriously kind of embarrassing that these guys were even called up by Germany at any level. Who can forget lyoha/Reese star strikers of the 97 at the U20 WC, Amenyido star striker of the 98 for the U19 Euros, Y.Otto along with Wintzheimer being our star strikers for the 99 age group. Even U20 still focuses too much on Y.Otto and Wintzheimer at the expense of everyone else.

18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think he's provisionally cap tied. Can't see anywhere were he played a competitive game for Kosovo. In fact competitive games only started in Oct 2018. Friendlies don't count.

even checking Kosovo's 3 U17 Euro qualifiers on UEFA.com and Asllani wasn't in the squad.

he does seem to have played for them but might have been friendlies.

19. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perhaps he just didn’t want to switch too often at this stage. But he was also in our trial, so we have to see how he progress

I think we should try him, as well as Mo. Kramny (injured)

Best way is to promote Ware Pakia to the 2001 group n we free up a space in 2002. The rotation won’t be too much during qualifiers I think

Dennis Borkowski is also a very good player

20. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To be fair, Wintzheimer was good in U19, and I think he is one of the top 4 finishers in 1999. Nieland didn’t do too well in last two seasons and Musel is not a good finisher.

Wintzheimer played for Bayern Munich and he scored a lot. He should be selected imo, even he’s a pure poacher but he can be used at this stage

I think they should choose Otto, Kruger n Wintzheimer at that time. Logical choice. But I thought Otto n Kruger were regular nominees as well?

In u19 Euro last year, Don’t forget Serra, Jojo n Daferner were all seriously injured. We didn’t have options during that time. Of coz they could’ve started Warschewski but I think the outcome Would be the same. Can’t think if any good striker in 1998 otherwise , don’t think Stark, Skenderovic n Kaffeebitz could save us anyway.

Any complain on Frank Kramer? I think he isn’t bad actually. Just that he was unlucky with all these injuries.

1997 in U20 WC? Teuchert was injured ... n other strikers were more or less pretty poor. Knöll played but didn’t impress. Owusu n Tietz were struggling at that time...but I would’ve chosen Owusu anyway

There was no option since your star strikers were injured all at a time.

Haters gonna hate but I did understand DFB. I think the options were limited

Don’t wanna complain too much about Yari Otto, I don’t rate him but when I watched him play he usually perform....

21. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the fact is, we failed to produce many good strikers from 1997-1998

1998 - Jojo, Serra, Daferner were injured...............who did we have?

Warschewski, Amenyido, Stark, Skenderovic.........will these people really make a difference?

1997? When Teuchert was injured, we are left with:

Owusu, Iyoha, Putaro, Arweiler, Knoll (who did better last season), Tietz, Bunjaki, KAder........

I would still choose Owusu, at least he offers some dominance in one area..........better than nothing

1999, i rate Otto n Kruger the highest. But i think Wintzheimer, Musel n Nieland are more or less same level. Wintzheimer better in finishing but really depends on what type do u prefer.

So i dont get what to complain here.

If there is anyone to blame, its the clubs which failed to produce good quality strikers nowadays.

Only 2-3 good strikers in each age group, for Germany thats bad.

22. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For Asllani, he really just breaks out in U17 this season. He didnt show too much promise before this season so DFB didnt choose him before, but Kosovo did approach him first.

Actually his breakouts came after his growth spurt, where he has dominance in physique.

Not sure if he is a one season wonder, we can cap him now coz from his IG he seems happy to have trained with DFB.

But what matters at the end is the 2nd change. the provisional one doesnt matter much. HE can always switch for at least one last time

23. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not sure how Nieland didn't do that well in the last 2 season. Last 2 seasons,
    his 1st U19 season he had 19 goals and 3 assists in 24 games
    his 2nd U19 season he had 10 goals and 7 assists in 18 games. Was the most productive player on the team last season based on minutes played, what more do you want?

On top of that last season Wolfsburg U19 were playing Y.Otto as CF while Nieland played more AM. His 1st season he was CF but not as much his 2nd season. Both Wolfsburg and NT coaches prefer Y.Otto over every other striker including D.Otto and Kruger.Which is a joke tbh.

I never said Wintzheimer shouldn't be selected, my point is that he and Y.Otto were our "star strikers" for the 99 group.

as for 97-98, lyoha, Reese and Amenyido the point is they are shit. Reese can't even score to save his life, such an embarrassing striker. Your judging Knoll when he played like 10 minutes per game while Reese and his buddy lyoha started every game and were soooo bad You think the other 97-98 are pretty poor can't be any more poorer than these 3. Fast forward to the present and look at the pro careers of all 3. Just as embarrassing as it is back then.

so Owusu and Tietz were struggling back then, so what did Reese do in 2016-2017 besides scoring in RL and doing nothing for 500 minutes in 2BL?

the reality is lyoha and Reese were just picked not on ability but because they were playing in 2BL at the time. Even if they were terrible and weren't doing anything.Basically players who play at a higher level do get the edge sometimes.

25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    anyways the whole point of my initial post was that these players being NT players was an embarrassment. And the results and performances speak for themselves.

I still root for them to do well and perform but I have seen nothing in terms of improvement from that lot. Would be surprising if any of them get anywhere near the senior NT.

it's even more telling that lyoha, Reese, Putaro, Lohkemper none of these have ever even played German U21.

Y.Otto and Amenyido still have next cycle but seems doubtful they will make any U21, especially Amenyido.