Spy Novels

Discussion in 'Books' started by Excape Goat, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Any great recommendation?

I read most of the older writers such as Tom Clancy, Frederick Forsyth, etc. I found something missing after the end of the Cold War. I have not read much since the late 1990's.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try Alan Furst's early stuff, starting with Night Soldiers.

His later stuff doesn't hold up (seems like he's mailing it in), but Night Soldiers, Dark Star, the Polish Officer and a couple of others are worth a look.

Excape Goat repped this.
  3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I personally couldn't stand Tom Clancy (a prick in real life whose absurd rationalities and poison heartlessness fed his hubristic and nasty fictions).

Robert Ludlum's books take a bit of getting used to but are good for the genre/game. Martin Cruz Smith's series of books concerning the cynical russian investiagtor protagonist Arkady Renko are very good.

If you haven';t read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre, then get on it.....

Half-way back tot eh start, I highly recommend a spy novel by Alistair MacLean set in Hungary and Germany in the 1950's called The Last Frontier
    And if you want to go all the way back to the very start of it ..... Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent is really greaat

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm a big fan of the Quiller novels by Adam Hall. Lots of internal dialogue and manly action.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I echo the recommendation on the Renko novels. And with the KGB a strong secondary "character" in the books, they are spy novels and police procedurals.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I came across this guy's list in the Guardian and read a few that I otherwise would not have.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/jun/26/classic-spy-novels-top-10

I just finished The 39 Steps two days ago. And Maugham's Ashenden stories, based on his experiences, I liked quite a bit. And I've liked Graham Greene's "entertainments" more than he would wish I did.

7. AJSW

AJSW Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For those interested in current authors publishing about spies in the present mostly terrorist context of today, try Charles Cumming and Alex Berenson. Cumming is very good -- British author. He has also written some historical spy stuff like the Trinity Six which I enjoyed. Berenson writes from an American perspective. His main character is John Wells -- a bit too amazing which causes realism to suffer at times but quite enjoyable. He has some stand alone stuff also.

Good quality page turners.

8. Los Santos

Los Santos New Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you tried any Len Deighton?

9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I did many years ago.... probably read the in the 1980's. I do not remember my opinion of him.

10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read The Good Spy: The Life and Death of Robert Ames a while back. While non-fiction, it read for me much like fiction. Ames was arguably a kind of American T.E. Lawrence who worked behind the scenes to try to reduce America's blind acceptance of Israel's narrative in the Middle East and over time could well have found a way to create peace there, until his untimely death in the bombing of the US Embassy in Beirut.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18373198-the-good-spy?from_search=true