Spurs vs. Southampton, PL, Sept. 28th, 10 am ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Everyone is available except Lo Celso and Sessegnon. While we haven't won an away game in England since January, Saints have won 4 straight away in all competitions. While we were going out of the cup at Colchester, they smashed their bitterest rivals, Portsmouth, away by 4-0. I could go on, but it's too depressing.

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I know it‘s no one’s fault, but for all the talk of how successful our summer was in practical terms it’s not far from last season.

soccernutter repped this.
  3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Well, we signed players where we needed help, the problem has been with some of the players we already have not performing to their usual level.

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    adjusting to the prem can take time - even for players we got in early (Ndombele), let alone the later ones, who have to adjust to their new team/surroundings, as well. occasionally they'll hit the ground running, but particularly for ball-playing mids, the pace can take time to come to terms with. hell, it took four months before I realized Modric wasn't crap.

whatever, though. I'm just along for the ride ... as ever.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is just me, or is anybody else not all that excited to watch Spurs right now.

BalanceUT repped this.
  6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It's tough to get excited when your team has won only 4 of the last 17 or 2 of the last 11 in all competitions.

7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Ndombele, Winks and Sissoko all starting - so far this year, starting all three has led to zero offensive threat.

8. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Did they just troll VAR?

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Honestly, who didn’t see Aurier getting a red card after the yellow. Would have been interesting to see the odds.

10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I come to this thread after having not watched the match because of other plans... and it ends here, with no indication of game outcome. The team should get our attention, but it's not happening.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Here is my recap:
    - Southampton start well, Lloris forced to save early
    - We settle and start to dominate possession
    - We score in the 24th min as Eriksen's cross falls to Son who tees up Ndombele
    - Aurier trolls VAR in the goal celebration
    - 1 minute later Aurier gets booked by the ref for 1) an idiotic challenge and 2) revenge for trolling VAR
    - 5 minutes later the linesman misses a ball that was 2 feet in touch, while Winks is having a go at said linesman, Saints play through and Aurier pulls down Bertrand and gets sent off just 30 mins in
    - 39 minutes and Lloris tries to Cruyff turn Ings on the goal line, ball dribbles in 1-1
    - 43 minutes, Spurs break, Son to Eriksen to Son to Eriksen to Kane, 2-1
    - 2nd half, Spurs play like most teams play against them, everyone behind the ball, 25% possession, Lloris makes 2 superb saves on James Ward-Prowse and Yashida
    - Full-time, Spurs win, never in doubt, season back on track, right?

12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In some ways it was the reverse of what we've seen over the past year. You had one mid table team that had more of the ball but couldn't find a way through, bar a brain fart from the opposing keeper. You had another mid table team go a man down, park the bus and steal a winner.

We've been the former on so many occasions so I suppose it's refreshing to be the latter. You can also say that defending for most of the game is good practice for Bayern.