Spurs vs. Newcastle, PL, Aug. 25, 11:30 am ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    That was dire. The end of our title campaign before the end of August.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    whatever point he's trying to make by benching Eriksen and Vertonghen, it's not working.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wasn't able to watch but was following text updates. 2 shots on target the whole game? Really???

A reminder that football in the end is 11 v. 11. We are light years from the kind of consistency title winners need. Kind of puts all the transfer season hype into context. As if a single player could change that.

4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I’m prone to overreaction, but feels a bit like the wheels are coming off the bus. Almost as if getting the stadium done and making the CL final there was no plan for “what’s next”.

I’m sure I’ll regret saying that later this season as I usually do.

5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Though Eriksen wasn’t that much of a difference today. Had a few moments, but looked equally bereft of ideas in breaking down Newcastle’s defense.

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't remember any. if so, they were soft and right at the keeper. Kane was AWOL, with the exception of the sitter he whiffed on at the end.

I'd say that it reeked of AVB, but his teams didn't concede soft goals.

7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    When I saw predictions of 4-0, I knew we would struggle - but man, was that bad. Soooo sluggish. I thought Sissoko and Alderweireld had pretty good games, but other than that... Terrible luck for Walker-Peters, getting injured when he had the chance to nail down the RB spot.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    our last 15 League matches have resulted in:

4 wins
    5 draws
    6 losses.

the CL run distracted us from some very poor form. had VAR not saved us in the QF at the Etihad and Arsenal not been staggeringly shite down the stretch, we'd be in full-blown crisis mode right now.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I *heart* Newcastle.

10. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't understand some of Poch's lineup choices. Against a team you knew was going to play a low block, why not start Lo Celso and Eriksen over Winks and Sissoko? Furthermore, why isn't Vertonghen playing?

You can't even argue that he's punishing players who want to leave the club by benching them because Rose and Alderweireld have started every match.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winks, yes. But Sissoko bring the muscle in the middle that Spurs lack. I think it should have been Eriksen over Winks...or Lamela.
    I can't argue against Lo Celso not being match fit. Give him a two or three more weeks.

12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    After reading some of Poch's post-match comments, I think I understand the Eriksen situation more.

It sounds like he has no clue what his squad will look like after the rest of Europ closes their windows. He doesn't want to lean on Eriksen because he could be gone in a week but he can't afford to not play him because the squad is devoid of creativity.

soccernutter repped this.
  13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch a lot of this due to scheduling conflict. It appeared to me as if Newcastle was just extremely well-prepared for what Spurs would throw at them and executed excellently while we couldn't figure out how to pick the lock. It was almost as if we were too careful in trying rather than just going for it.

This is a bad loss. Home, against a team we should beat 9 out of 10 and draw the one other. I hope these are not points we need down the line.

On the other hand, we did steal a point last week. All in all, though, I'd rather have lost last week and won this week, not only because it nets more points, but because it doesn't confound expectations.

Phillyspur and soccernutter repped this.
  14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    So we paid £1 billion for a new stadium, the chairman went out and got the players the manager asked for and then Poch picks a weakened side in an important game? As soon as I saw Eriksen and Vertonghen on the bench, I could see this result coming. Sanchez is so poor, every week he gets done like a schoolboy. And now the gaffer is having a moan about the transfer window. I can't wait to see what he moans about after the window closes.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Actually, it's worse: 4 wins, 3 draws, 8 defeats, including defeats to Burnley, Southampton, West Ham, Bournemouth and Newcastle.

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yeah, it keeps getting worse. :D

the more I've thought about Spurs over the last 24 hours, the more I think we've got real, substantive problems.

but what's interesting - and maybe even slightly fascinating - is that I don't seem to mind. I was very dissatisfied with yesterday's performance/result immediately following the match. the more I think that the golden age of Pochettino might be behind us - and I do - the less losing to Newcastle bothers me. I realize that this probably sounds all kinds of reactionary and alarmist, but it's really not. I'm not presuming it to be, just acknowledging its possibility. and i'm calm.

BalanceUT and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pook, I worried about you.

BalanceUT repped this.
  18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised if Poch is gone by the end of the season. His tortured artist act over the past few months has been a big downer for me. For years he has been able to fly under the radar while some of the other top 6 sides have had managerial meltdowns, but with the new stadium and the record signings, he is facing expectation pressures for the first time, something he has never had to deal with previously. You can see it at his pressers, he is becoming more and more defensive and aloof with the journos as the poor results start to pile up. Really, if you look at our season so far, we played 20 good minutes againts a tiring Villa side and have been rubbish the rest of the time.

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm glad you've put it behind you. ;)

soccernutter repped this.
  20. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    One of the more concerning things to consider is the spine of our current team predates Pochettino. Lloris, Vertonghen, Eriksen and Kane. His first two seasons’ signings were quite successful and improved the team considerably, but the last unambiguously good signings came from his second season with Toby and Son. Every single signing since then has at best been had one good season (Trippier, Moura, Sissoko) and either poor to mediocre preceding or subsequent seasons. Jury’s out on Moura of course same with the new boys though I’m cautiously optimistic.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree about most of this, I think Trippier had an unusually good season. I really don't think he is that good, and I think Athletico will get punished for signing him.
    Son, I think, was a gamble that turned out better than expected. IIRC, most of us here figured Son was purchased in part to market Spurs to S Korea. To me, Son has succeed far beyond expectations.
    Moura just seemed to take a bit to become part of the team. Not unexpected, joining at mid seasons. He seems like the real deal to me.
    And Sissoko has also really seemed to have taken a step up in consistency. Yes, his shooting is horrendous, but apart from that, he has, springily to me, become a solid part of the team.

Two players which I think also deserve a mention are Dele and Lamela.
    Dele has moments of brilliance, but seems to have lost his way in terms of consistency. When he is on, he is brilliant, but there seem to be issues off field which started this lack of consistency, and I wonder if they are still present.
    In terms of Lamela, I'm sure we all know he is the last of the Bale signings. While he was valuable at the start, and continued after the Bale signings were sold, he no longer seems to be an important part of the Spurs squad. This disappoints me as I liked him from the start, but he just does not seem to have improved much, and Spurs have improved around him. Unless he shows himself this season, I hope this is his last with Spurs.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Well, some good news at least - we got Colchester away in the 3rd round draw of the League Cup.

24. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    [QUOTE=" ... I'm sure we all know he is the last of the Bale signings....[/QUOTE]

wasn't eriksen also part of the magnificent 7?

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't eriksen also part of the magnificent 7?[/QUOTE]
    Could be. I thought he came in after.