Spurs v Ajax - CL semifinal / Leg 1 - 30 April

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The naive summer transfer window from Poch and Levy has come back to haunt us at the business end of the season.

BalanceUT and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  2. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was rooting for you guys.
    If Son was in this match, I believe it would be a 1-1 draw.

Spurs come alive in the second half.

I know Kane probably won't be back in time for next week. But Son will definately be in. So there always hope.

Still rooting for you guys to go through. Don't like this Ajax team.

Hope Vertonghen is okay.

Count Chocula and Phillyspur repped this.
  3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Without Sissoko, I think it would have been 10-0. Amazing season for him. My son, the soccer genius in the family predicted Spurs would be OK, so long as Trippier didn't start. Good prognostication, there. Still in with a decent chance, just need a goal.

Meanwhile, please start Foyth for Trippier vs Bournemouth.

4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yeah I suspect £30-50m on a player or two is looking a bargain right now.

It’s depressingly akin to the season when Leicester won the league. A bit more ambition from Levy or Poch and it might have been us. Though to be fair, I don’t think there are many a summer or winter signing the would have made us competitive with Barcelona.

5. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good game guys, the game really turned after the Sissoko sub and you guys made it very difficult. Hope Vertonghen is alright and will be in the Arena for the return match.

Onto the next game, I think its gonna be explosive!

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you people know me. I do not do optimism.

but we will win this tie.

that is all.

SpursGlory, BalanceUT and mekarshalev repped this.
  7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Barcelona? I would be happy if we could beat Bournemouth.

Funkfoot and BalanceUT repped this.
  8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Our last 14 games in all comps: 5 wins, 1 draw and 8 defeats.

How are we 3rd in the league and in the CL semis?

BalanceUT repped this.
  9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No disrespect to you guys, but we're gonna destroy you back in Amsterdam

pookspur repped this.
  10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you'll find anyone arguing with you.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You know what, I so apologize for trolling your forum.

I got away in the moment.

Seriously. My apologies!!

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The tie is not over by any means. Ajax did not get the 2nd away goal that would have put real pressure on Spurs. However, Spurs had to tip their strategy hand in terms of the only formation that will trouble Ajax and ten Hag has a week to figure that one out. Certainly having Son back will help your team out but your MF is the real weak spot. Ajax capitalized on this in both the Real Madrid and Juventus ties where they just shut down the opposing MFs.

Both teams have matches this weekend and Tottenham need a win to make sure of CL football next season as they will close out any chance of falling behind Arsenal. Ajax have the Beker (Dutch FA Cup) match against Willem II on Sunday to keep their hopes of a treble alive (I never thought I would see this happen again!).

Hope Jan Vertonghen is OK, he was always one of my favorites when he captained Ajax.

13. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What an embarrassing performance. Not one player played better than their counterparts. Llorente failed to do the one thing he's good at - win headers. Trippier and Rose failed to deliver anything of quality. Lucas tried to win the game by himself and failed. Ajax did everything better away from home.

Sanchez in particular should be ashamed. Somehow, he's the second most expensive sale in Dutch football history and yet his replacements were miles better than him.

It speaks volumes when Poch's final two subs were fullbacks while Ajax were able to roll Huntelaar off the bench.

14. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well, I guess it’S not just black and white, I haven’t see he game but I read some comments and obviously we had a shitty game. But having seen the stats only, it’s really 50:50 so I think we have all the chances still.
    1:0 away in 1st leg could be quite tricky as Ajax saw themselves being on the positive side.
    I believe with some luck and a lot of hard work we can overcome it.
    Hopefully we’ll have Son and others will come back as well.
    COYS!

15. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0... Could've been worse, we took over in the 2nd half, just unlucky to convert any of the half chances. Far from over yet and I think Son will have a major say in the 2nd leg. Plus any goal after an equalizer counts as two for us and we've done well on the road.

It looked impossible against Dortmund and Barca but we came through against all odds to get here. Individual performances will need to be far better (Trippier, Dele, Llorente etc.) Want to see a loud Spurs section there and let the SON shine! COYS!!!

Count Chocula repped this.
  16. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trippier needs to be massively better to justify a spot on the squad. we already know he is defensively suspect, but he needs to do much much better on passing and crossing which is supposed to be his strength.

Dele, to me, just hasn't seemed himself since he broke his hand.

Kane has been a big loss of course, that's obvious. and not having Son available meant the top 2 goal threats were missing.

but Dele, Sissoko, (and now Vertonghen) all have to play with injury as well. that's 2 players on the pitch at less than 100%, and 3 more key players out, 2 of those being Spurs top goal scoring threats... I am not really surprised at all Spurs lost this match. my hope going into the match was that they could somehow sneak a win like the 1st Man City match, or at least grind out a draw. losing 0-1 was the next best result possible, and so, while disappointing, its not a devastating result.

the odds are surely against em, but there is still a fair chance

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    y'know, I popped over to your forum a couple days ago. I was gonna do one of those "you've been brilliant thus far. Here's to a good tie"-type things. then I saw all of your 'Tottenham SHITspurs' stuff - not to mention that thread's distinct aroma of Feijenoord - and I gave it a pass.

so, yeah, it's clear what you think of Spurs. and yes, you should probably keep it in your own forum. but while you're here, i'll take a second to point out that on our way up to the Etihad, everyone was saying quite the same …"no disrespect, but we'll destroy you back in Manchester."

well, it's yet to be played.

18. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Disappointment the over-riding feeling after that. 30 minutes awful, the rest actually pretty decent but the damage was done in terms of giving Ajax something to defend.

If I had to put a number on it, i'd say we're at about 15-20% chance. Next week - come out of the traps quickly, one early goal and it's on. We're down to bare bones, but add Son to give a bit more attacking edge and it's still possible.

19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Those were Heineken induced posts.
    Trust me, I know I'm an idiot :(

You guys have a good team.

If you get a quick away goal back in Amsterdam, Ajax might be in trouble.

I too hope Vertonghen is okay.

Cheers!!

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    #120 Golara, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Piss off you Dutch tw*t. Enjoy this season because all your good players are going to be sold in the summer. Your club and national teams have been shite for a long time now. Have some of that, asswipe:

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    fair shout. beer-fueled posting can be perilous. most of us have been there.

at any rate, as posted earlier, none of us has doubts to Ajax's abilities. we were shit through the first 40 minutes, but in all honestly, it may have been after - when we started to play - that Ajax were most impressive. they really saw it out effectively, managing the game in a way that most don't associate with their run to the semis (and perhaps beyond).

but it's still there to play for. I won't try to diminish your confidence - I'm sure it can't be done. but you're wasting you time if you try to diminish mine. the only ones that can do that are Spurs, themselves.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    now, now … he's being nice.

excess Heineken, though. :D:D:D Perilous.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Ajax should have put the tie to bed in the opening 30 minutes. So that means we don't have to go there worrying about having to win by 2 goals or anything like that, we just have to win. 1-0 would take it to extra time, but anything else and we go through on the away goals.

24. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll say one thing...whoever was responsible for Vertongen returning to the pitch should be fired, they could have killed him.

Golara, TimB4Last and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ugh, that still hurts to this day :(