Spurs Transfer News 2017 - There is a Disturbance in the Force

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by soccernutter, Jan 10, 2017.

1. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Messi will retire after WC2018. Who the hell wants to be the first Argentine NT manager in the post Messi era? Hiding to nothing.

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    One argument for keeping Janssen: Son. Took him a season to properly adjust to the Premiere League.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also seems like part of the team. Everybody seemed happy that Janssen scored, that he had been working hard to get in the right positions and show desire and want to be part of the team, not just score. And after last week, he seemed to have recognized that he didn't need to panic at surprise. And this week he scored.

4. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    took Lamela a season as well. I still don't think Lamela is as good offensively as he was billed to be, but he was very valuable as a harassing midfielder.

to me, Spurs biggest holes is finding that extra defender to cover for Toby or Jan injuries, and a backup AM for Eriksen should he ever go down injured.

BalanceUT and soccernutter repped this.
  5. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carter Vickers may be that guy, he did show well when he got a run out this season, perhaps a couple years too early though.

I think we are desperately missing that world class CM. Dembele is incredibly underrated and Wanyama/Dier are fantastic but none of them are the caliber of a Modric. We could use a world class winger as well, our depth clearly was not up to par for Champions League and we need that depth for next season.

6. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i totally see Messi playing another world cup, he doesn't seem like the retire from nat team early kinda guy (unless of course he ends up winning this one then best to retire at the top

7. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Seems that Barcelona is gearing up to throw silly money after Eriksen ... Rumour around here (Denmark) is that they've contacted Laudrup in the hopes that he can facilitate discussions

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/barcelona-set-raid-spurs-midfielder-10277158

It should also be noted that Dier and Walker are rumored to have a bit.

This assumes that Spur are still a selling club. Not sure that is the case anymore, specially now that the stadium is being build (and not just in the planning stages).

9. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    The counter argument is that the silly money is big enough to facilitate the stadium building without going into anywhere as severe of an near-decade of slim spending to pay off the building project, such as Arsenal excused themselves with up though the mid-late 00s and early 10s

10. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Is Walker genuinely looking to leave WHL or is he just angling for a new contract?

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on evidence, I'd say he is looking to leave.

12. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    That’s a shame. Can’t just be the fact he was benched for Chelsea & Arsenal can it?

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that his fitness level is not where he thinks it is.

14. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I thought he was poor against Palace, but wasn’t sure if that was a result of sulking about being left out against Chelsea or the reason he was left out against Chelsea – or none of the above.

For my money Trippier’s been starting on merit, and if trophies are important to these players the squad will necessarily have starters at most positions.

15. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is impressive, across the board. Next step is to translate that into either a run in the CL or an EPL title.

17. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Is trippier that good?

Also maybe look into Cedric Soares from Soton.

18. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Couldn’t be arsed to start a new thread. With Sanchez going to United I’d like to see Levy make a bid for Rashford. He’s going to wither at Old Trafford.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I think Riad Mahrez would be a good addition. I look at the number of times we have counter-attacking opportunities in games and how many times the moves bog down because we are too slow on the ball. Mahrez has the ability to accelerate and glide past defenders, something we lack.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume a wage issue.

I agree with Golara - I'd rather have Mahrez.

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It looks like something is in the works for Lucas Moura of PSG. The 25 year old Brazilian right mid would be a massive improvement on Sissoko and give us much-needed pace in attack. Stay tuned...

BalanceUT repped this.
  22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Don't hold your breath on this one, after initial reports on both sides of the Channel suggested a deal was imminent, the latest news has Daniel Levy up to his old tricks of last-minute haggling over the transfer fee.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference this time, though, is that Levy has shown the willingness to spend. See Aurier and Sanchez.

24. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I don't dispute his willingness to spend, it is the constant last-minute brinkmanship and haggling that have scuppered many promising deals in the past and left the manager holding the bag.

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Looks like a done deal, The Guardian and the BBC are reporting that Levy has agreed a 25 million pound fee. Fingers crossed...