Spurs Transfer News 2017 - There is a Disturbance in the Force

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by soccernutter, Jan 10, 2017.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so this for shits and giggles mostly.

It started with this:

Real Madrid plot £50 million swoop for Tottenham's Dele Alli

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/transfer...e-the-next-spurs-star-to-move-to-the-bernabeu

but, appearantly, that was not enough:

Madrid, Barcelona could go head-to-head for £70m Dele Alli transfer

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/transfer...o-head-for-70-million-euro-dele-alli-transfer

Those are both for the summer (and I have wondered when RM was going to come for Dele - a natural replacement for CR7). Spurs would be foolish to part with him for anything less than the cost of the new stadium.

Then saw this:

Manchester United and Manchester City both target Kyle Walker and Danny Rose in £60m transfer battle for Tottenham duo

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...ose-in-60m-transfer-battle-for-tottenham-duo/

Yeah, not likely as Spurs are no longer a selling club.

2. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if Spurs sell Rose I suggest nuking WHL in response

3. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Amazing what a difference good scouting can make, compared to the incompetents that signed the likes of Kaboul, Fazio and Chiriches...

Count Chocula repped this.
  5. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    fukc you suckers

6. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kyle Walker would be the only player sold if a big offer come in, in my opinion. Dele Alli has just signed a new contract and is in top form atm, Danny Rose has just signed a new contract and is a Spurs youth product.

If an offer of £60 million came in for Walker, Spurs would be mad to turn down money like that (although I can't see it myself), Kieron Trippier is a solid wing back for Spurs anyway, so he'd fall straight into his place.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see any of them being sold this season. As for Dele, I was wondering the other day where he plays. He is not a forward/striker, not an attacking midfielder, and not a traditional midfielder. Then I realized he was very similar to CR7, maybe a Gullit-type as well. I would make sense for RM to bid for Dele as he would be a replcement player for CR7. Will there be another Bale-esque bid? Maybe in the summer, when RM's transfer embargo is lifted. If there was another 100mil bid, not sure Levy would turn it down, though he should.

8. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For Spurs Alli has proven to be best just behind Kane, they worked very well together last season, and we are starting to see that form come back now...It's hard for Poch to put him there though as that is clearly the position where Eriksen feels the most comfortable playing.

But it's hard to compare Dele Alli to another player, a lot of people compare him more to a young Steven Gerrard, simply because he is often used as a box to box player and because of his size/build...but I personally think he has better attacking qualities than Gerrard had at 19/20, but doesn't have the engine and isn't as combative as Gerrard, also Alli is seems to be better in the box as where Gerrard was more of a threat outside of it. I think Alli is more like Zidane, but obviously isn't nowhere as skillful yet.

Real Madrid and Man City are the only clubs that would realistically sign Alli, I don't think United would as their priorities would be in other positions if they was to start buying big. But yeah, I think it would take a Gareth Bale type of bid for Tottenham to accept, his potential is massive...but, I think he'll stay in England. Also, he is a Liverpool supporter, so I would never rule out a Liverpool move depending on where we and they finish.

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I wonder how much of a Liverpool supporter he is though? Sounds like they had him dead to rights but he chose Spurs.

10. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well apparently it was Liverpool that didn't go in for him but he was on their radar (£5m)...it was more of a case of Spurs getting in there first and sealing the deal...

And, Liverpool now under Klopp would be much more appealing to Dele Alli than when he first signed for Spurs. Tbh Liverpool still isn't very likely, I'm not sure they'd be willing to cough up the sort of money Levy would want for him, but it's just one of a few clubs I just wouldn't rule out ;)

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly agreed, though Dele seems to be quite good at going forward out the midfield, much better than Eriksen. The biggest thing lacking from Dele is his lack of crossing, though that is not really part of his game.

I don't recall young Gerrard, though I would say that Dele has not developed the controlled combativeness that Gerrard had (later) as Spurs haven't needed him to drop too much into a defensive position. But Dele can be combative, and is certainly willing to fight other players for the ball. But more so than Eriksen.

I think the only way Levy sells anybody in the EPL is if there is an insane bid. Selling him to direct competition is a negative for Spurs. The only other team which might be able to bid for Dele is Barca, though they have shown reluctance to bid that high, though it would be interesting to see if Juve put in a 70 or 80 mil bid.

Kev THFC repped this.
  12. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swansea looking to buy Tom Carroll.

he's odd CM man out at Spurs, so i say take the money and good luck to him

Kev THFC repped this.
  13. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Signed from Leeds, if I recall?

Kev THFC repped this.
  14. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Correct, but if you sign a player at 18 or younger the player is then classed as a youth product, just as long as they've spent 3 seasons at the club by the age of 21. we had the same with Gareth Bale, he is classed as a Tottenham youth product. Harry Kane also came from the Arsenal youth academy.

Phillyspur repped this.
  15. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah yeah, that's right. Still, not the same as a proper homegrown, IMO, that came up through our youth teams, like Winks, Carroll etc. I count Kane by this unofficial rule too. He was a youth player with us much longer than he was at l'Arse.

16. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Same could be said with Rose though, Rose was only at Leeds for a season as a youth player, but spent 2 Seasons playing in Spurs under 18's...he's been at Spurs for 10-11 years.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    soccernutter and Count Chocula repped this.
  18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad it wasn't under Bradly.

19. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's a relief for me is the precious little rumor of sniping of our players or us pining for players. While we could maybe benefit from some quality depth here or there, we are not looking at any major holes in the depth chart. This is a refreshing change from years past when we felt like we had to sell to keep finances in order, had to buy to fix an obvious problem area.

soccernutter repped this.
  20. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Assume that the current 11 is our best, and it's hard to see a weak link or potential upgrade who can be bought in January.

With Lamela, Son, Janssen, Nkoudou and Sissoko the front 3 are well covered, as are the wing backs by Trippier and Davies.

Vertonghen, we have Wimmer and Davies.

Dembele - either Winks or possibly Sissoko depending on the opposition.

Lloris - Vorm.

The ones that (slightly) bother me are Alderweireld, Dier and Wanyama. As far as I can work out from the squad as it stands, Carter-Vickers is now the first choice backup for all 3 at right CB, with Dier moving to either Toby's sweeper role or to DM. CCV looks an excellent prospect and I'd be more than happy to see him play and develop in the occasional planned game, but Vertonghen yesterday is a reminder that we're only ever one slip away from a fringe player being pitched in for the rest of the season.

21. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm most worried if Kane, Toby, or Eriksen goes down

last season it woulda been Kane, Dembele or Toby

also while I think Davies is a very good replacement LB, Spurs lose quite a bit going forward if Rose isn't in there

22. mjg9

mjg9 New Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Am I alone in thinking Lamela could cover for Danny in a pinch? His work rate is excellent, I'd be very comfortable with him getting up and down the flank. I wonder if they'll work with him in that role once he returns. While I like Davies I think he's more of a classic LB than a wing back and in fact plays CB on the left side with Wales.

23. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Not for me. Lamela is still too rash in tackling, he's improved in that respect since first coming to Spurs & maybe a definitive move to a defensive role would continue his progress, but I'd rather the less attack minded Davies.

Non-sequined, but how much fun would it have been to watch Rose & Bale on the same team in their 2016 form?