Spurs @ Tranmere Rovers - FA Cup 3rd rd - 4 Jan

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Jan 4, 2019.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it's the third round of the FA Cup - a glorious day of football (tomorrow) will be. It turns out that I'm working tomorrow and off today, so I shan't whine about our game being on Friday … but really, it's the third round. Is nothing sacred?

Don't answer that. I already know.

Anyway, we head up to Prenton Park to take on Merseyside's 'other' League club, Tranmere Rovers, who currently sit 9th in the 4th division (aka League 2). I know nothing of who they have nor how they play … but it really shouldn't matter much, should it? We will undoubtedly be sitting some 'on form' players today as the fixtures have been and will continue to be coming fast and furious, and this is - on paper, at least - easily the most manageable. Which is, of course, the proverbial 'asking for trouble'.

They'll be up for it, and the longer we let them hang around, the more they'll believe, so hopefully we'll put it to bed early. The main thing (other than winning) is to keep Harry and the insurance on the bench all 90 - they'll need the rest. And of course getting a bit of shine for some players who haven't been as big a part of our recent run would be nice, as well. Oliver Skipp to start, perhaps?

come on you spurs.

2. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Here are the teams!

Tranmere: Davies, Ridehalgh, McNulty, McCullogh, Monthe, Caprice, Ellis, Gilmour, Harris, Jennings, Norwood

Subs: Passant, Bakayogo, Buxton, Sutton, Stockton, Mullin, Banks

Spurs: Gazzaniga; Aurier, Foyth, Sanchez, Davies; Walker-Peters, Skipp, Alli, Lucas; Son, Llorente.

Subs: Vorm, Alderweireld, Eyoma, Marsh, Sissoko, Eriksen, Kane

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Tranmere support are in bouyant mood before kickoff. Expecting a crowd of 14,000, the Spurs support will be in the Cowshed end. Spurs are in their blue kit. Both teams are playing 3-5-2. The pitch looks to be in good nick. Tranmere in white.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs with a back 3 of Foyth-Sanchez-Davies and wingbacks of Walker-Peters on the left and Aurier on the right. Deli is playing in a deeper role.

5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Son misses a one on one with the keeper! Poor finish. Just needed to lift it over the keeper, big chance.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    10 mins in and Spurs are dominating possession, Rovers are struggling with our movement.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    #7 Golara, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Lucas misses a good chance set up by Son. We should be 2 up, poor finishing.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    20 mins in and after our initial flurry, the game has settled down, Tranmere seeing more of the ball.

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    bumpy surface, but not awful. really low camera angle at Prenton Park; gives watching a kinda 'there' look … lower division style.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Jennings, who scored 2 spectacular volleys in the last round, has one blocked by Foyth.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Rovers with a couple decent chances.

get it on the ground and play, lads.

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    McCulloch shoots wide after beating Sanchez, Tranmere coming into the game nicely.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Someone has a trumpet in the crowd, sounds like an England WC game!

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Llorente volleys over from a corner, another chance missed.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Tranmere get a free header from a corner but Gazzaniga saves.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Tranmere pressing for the first time.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs have 78% possession.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    #18 Golara, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Aurier with a worldy! 0-1, 40 minutes. The ball was scrambled away from a Spurs corner and sat invitingly for Aurier, who cut across the ball and benefited from a slight deflection as it floated over the keeper.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Their CBs, McNulty and Monthe, look like a couple of giants.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    HT: Rovers 0, Spurs 1 (Aurier 40')

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    A deserved lead after we missed 2 really presentable chances early doors. Tranmere look a threat from set pieces, we will need to keep our concentration in the 2nd half and not let them back into the game.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I thought they closed down spaces and pressured the ball quite well. combined with the slightly uneven pitch, it made it difficult to get out of second gear. Had Aurier not got his (deflected) goal, they'd've been well worth being level at the half, to my mind - despite out clear superiority.

Aurier would've also rated lowest among ours for me without the goal. A rash tackle, gave it away a couple times, gave up an unnecessary corner, and I was thinking he was looking rather suspect. His goal's the difference, though, so fair enough.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    2nd half underway.

24. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Typical Aurier performance, just missing the foul throw and assist/penalty conceded for the Aurier Hatrick...

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Llorente 0-2, set up by a great run from Son! Son got to the by-line and pulled it back to Llorente for a tap in.