Spurs stuff

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Jun 27, 2018.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    so … I'm just out for a late night drive in my recently acquired '64 Triumph Spitfire Mk I, and I'm cruising around feeling all nostalgic, because I had a '66 Mk II when I was in high school, and I'm just taking it all in and stuff, and as I'm driving down Bluffton Road (just as I did back in '82), I look up and I see a billboard … it's for xfinity I think (or some such cable co.) … and on the billboard, big as day … is Harry Kane of Tottenham Hotspur.

I'm guessing that doesn't seem all that weird to anyone. But a Tottenham player … on a billboard in Fort Wayne, Indiana … it's surreal. Maybe it's because I'm in some kind of early 80s frame of mind or something; but it's just something I would have never dreamt of seeing in a thousand years. Like I might have looked up and seen Steve Archibald back in the day, the chances of which were - obviously - absolutely zero.

I'm telling you, it was really bizarre for me. It's like … I don't know what it's like. It's just me, isn't it?

Count Chocula and BalanceUT repped this.
  2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I had no idea where to put this, so I've created a generic thread, where you can put anything - that first post, for example - that really doesn't merit one of it's own.

3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    How about Dele in that Pepsi commercial? Son is in one, too - don't remember what, I try to avoid the commercials.

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Of course, there aren't any good American players to put up on a billboard. And Harry sees like a decent bloke.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yeah, I mean, it was only slightly odd, and all, seeing a massive Gareth Bale at Times Square; and Harry's every bit as world class, so maybe I shouldn't have been shocked. But that's a prime bit of real estate whose advertising reaches a global market. And I know that footy's become immeasurably more popular over here than in the past, so seeing Spurs in national ads - i.e., Pepsi - whilst eyebrow-raising, isn't really shocking. But driving on the south side of Fort Wayne, Indiana … on a billboard - which ain't gonna reach anybody but folks on the south side of Ft Wayne - I dunno, I guess it's a little less weird today; but last night it seemed surreal.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    People forget that up until the early 90s, Spurs were part of the football aristocracy in England and had a strong international following. I still run into people today in Canada who tell me they are Spurs fans from back in the 80s and some even go as far back as the 60s and 70s.

My cousin who lives in Tottenham tells me nowadays when she drops her daughter off at school, most of the kids are wearing Harry Kane shirts.