Spurs @ Rochdale - FA Cup 5th rd - 18 Feb

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dele about to come on for lucas, who starting to tire a bit

2. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kane to come on next for llorente

3. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    think that's the 3rd tackle wanyama has whiffed on

4. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bailed out

subs made the difference tho

and rochdale was always gonna tire out

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    RYAN MASON!

jumhed and Merck repped this.
  6. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Job done.
    Hopefully

7. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rofl

looks like a replay at wembley

once again toby misplays and heads it to a rochdale attacker

8. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I fkin never learn.

pookspur and Phillyspur repped this.
  9. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why the ******** were there only four guys back defending? Stupidity all around.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dock their wages. A disgrace. Except Lucas.

Though I lost any sympathy for Rochdale when they were cynically fouling their way through the 2nd half.

Sad to say it, performances like these make me think Rose and Toby are on the way out.

11. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** it i'll say it...good for them. we thought it was over and they did not.

12. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought trippier did well. and sissoko wasn't as bad as he usually is.

midfield had no urgency to win the ball back. wanyama was awful.

and worst match of tobys career possibly

13. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    And based on their performances, at least Rose’s, on a substantial discount from the £50m bandied anout this summer

14. interacmilan

interacmilan New Member

Varzim
    Andorra
    Feb 3, 2018
  15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Poch will never learn, AGAIN he selects a sub-par team when he has more than a week before the next fixture. Play your strongest side, win the tie in the first half and then bring on your second string.

A lot of poor performances from unexpected sources (Winks, Wanyama, Alderweireld, Son). The New Soldado had another shocker, he is starting to have that same clueless look on his face that we saw with Soldado 1.0 and Janssen.

That means our league fixture away to Crystal Palace has been moved up to Sunday 25 February with a noon kickoff UK time (4 am PT and 7 am ET) and the replay has been provisionally scheduled for Wednesday 28 February at 8 pm UK time (12 pm PT and 3 pm ET).

PL managers will never learn. We keep hearing them moan about fixture congestion and replays, but they keep fielding weakened sides which set up these extra games. Now because of his poor team selection, Poch has lost a day of rest between fixtures AND ended up with an extra midweek fixture at the worst possible time.

16. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its more that the manager wants to get these guys some match time, not that he is trying to rest the first 11. they are all PL level players, they should be able to get the job done. a few of em either didn't care or took the opponent way too lightly, imo

BalanceUT repped this.
  17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    [QUOTE="Count Chocula, post: 36335341, member: 169302"they are all PL level players, they should be able to get the job done. a few of em either didn't care or took the opponent way too lightly, imo[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but we have seen this year and last that our second string is mostly rubbish. So why keep running them out there, when you know they are going to struggle? It would not have taken too much to alter the result. One of Dele, Eriksen and Lamela should have been in from the start for Sissoko and Kane for the New Soldado. By half time, we would have had the game won. But when your midfield is Winks, Wanyama and Sissoko, there is no creativity to feed the front men.

Why do clubs like Chelsea, Man U and Man City consistently win all the trophies? It's not a fluke, they don't pussy-foot around, they play strong sides and they avoid replays.

18. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm not too bothered. A family ticket at Wembley for the replay? £20

BalanceUT repped this.
  19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    £20 to watch Llorente and Sissoko give the ball away? I guess that's a fair price.

20. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I've been a Spurs fan since I could talk. I've paid a lot more to watch a lot worse.

They didn't get the job done this time, same as the last round against Wimbledon but that's fine.

I'd rather watch Jansson, who actually puts in the effort, than Llorente though.
    And Sissoko played alright today. Wanayama was far worse, and Son was the worst Spurs player on the pitch.

Winks would've been served a lot better if a misfiring Son and past-it Llorente weren't the targets of his passes.

pookspur and Phillyspur repped this.
  21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COYS!!! Oh, wait... WT actual F??? not this again. Um... gawd... the competition we should win outright and we are creatively trying to lose it.

22. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would say a shitload of cash might have something to do with it too. But I take your point.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Mourinho played Lukaku, Sanchez etc. against Huddersfield when he has a CL game in midweek. Conte played a very strong side against Hull with Barcelona in mid-week and had the tie wrapped up at half time.

We had a week off before the next game and we put out a poor side. To say it's just about the cash is too simple. It is about a winning mentality. If you play second rate sides in the one competition you have a decent chance of winning, you will get second-rate results.

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I only saw the first half, of course, but I wasn't terribly disappointed with anyone specifically, nor with the effort, really. but while there was no one out there that I thought shouldn't be, I do think there were too many changes. From what I saw, we were trying to play fairly intricate stuff between players with little actual match-time together.

loads of players who've looked quite good when integrated into 'core' of the team ended up looking rather worse than their actual performance because the unit as a whole was not coherent. it's hardly shocking - we've seen it before. and we'll likely see it again in the replay, as the fixture congestion will surely mean making numerous changes yet again.

it's frustrating, but not maddening. now, had we lost ...

Phillyspur repped this.
  25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    oh, and if Moura was as good in the 2nd half as he was in the first (all I know is that he scored), we may have ourselves a player.