Spurs Pre Season

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Vs Roma

Quick start to this, Spurs up 2-1 in the 20th after going behind in the 3rd.

Interestingly enough it appears Davies is playing centerback (preparing for life after Toby?) and Walker-Peters is playing left-back.

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    4-1 at halftime

Don’t know anything about this Roma side maybe it’s similarly comprised of reserves. Regardless Spurs reserves look very good.

3. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    4am over here lol, playing well but only pre season.

4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Same as early EPL games here on the west coast.

5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Carter Vickers looks better than he did last preseason.

6. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Dull second half.

Thought Gazzinga looked decent.

7. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Was at the stadium, full with spurs fans, nice experience and a win!
    Sorry that the squad was quite depleted but everybody played with desire.
    COYS!

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you shouldn't be (sorry, that is).

I've said it a zillion times - offseason friendlies are usually the biggest waste of time and effort there is. I mean, our effort as fans, not the players' effort, as they don't put any in. but last night we saw players who will be fighting for minutes (Eriksen excepted), and they showed that the fight has already begun.

I've seen a handful of European clubs live over here in the summer over the years … you saw more application in the first half last night than I've seen in total. It was miles better than what you'd've seen had it been the starters going through the motions.

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I thought Moura looked quite good and if Lamela stays fit all of a sudden our width problems of the past season or two don’t look so bad.

10. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    actually all the guys that didn't have good last season were looking lively and strong - moura, llorente, lamela etc.

11. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    There's been a lot written about our lack of transfer activity, but not a lot written about how much stronger we could be even without. I've put this in the pre-season thread because I think the Roma match highlights some of it quite nicely, we're talking about players we have rather than might buy.

Last season, we'd take it as written that the 3 behind Kane would be Son, Dele, Eriksen. Lucas was given time to bed in, Lamela was a non-factor - with those two there's a lot more potential variety to our attacking play, game changing subs to be used.

Similarly in defence - Rose and Alderweireld were not major parts of the defensive unit. At time of writing they're still here, plus Carter-Vickers and Foyth are another year older, wiser and closer to seeing a few more first team minutes.

Midfield - Wanyama had an off year, no question. But the year before he was brilliant, a one man wrecking crew in the middle. If he can recapture his form, Dier's versatility means that strengthens both the midfield options and the defence. Plus Harry Winks - there's an England international ready to make a step up if and when he can get fit again.

Genuinely, only worried about Dembele. He's unique but fragile - if the club thinks it's right for him to move on for health and reliability reasons then so be it, but that does leave a hole in the first team that needs filling.

soccernutter repped this.
  12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The holding midfield role is the biggest concern. Dembele looked like he was running out of petrol towards the end of the season and his dreadful performance against France in the WC semi-final was typical of his recent decline.

Wanyama has injured his knee again, and last season he looked like he never had recovered from his original injury. That leaves us with just Dier as a reliable option to shield the back 4.

Yes, Rose is still here, but probably because his poor form has dissuaded potential suitors. He looked terrible in the few cameos he made in the WC and just from watching his body language, it looks like he is not enjoying football, perhaps stemming from his personal issues off the pitch.

Poch made a big song and dance about getting the transfer business done early so that he could bed the players in before the start of the season. But it looks like that talk was just part of his contract negotiation tactics. Can't blame him, he got the deal he wanted, but with the bulk of our starting XI on the beach somewhere and no new signings, we are going to be in for a rude awakening at the start of the season.

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Levy said no deals would be done before the WC ended.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    2022?

soccernutter repped this.
  15. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Barcelona’s B team is much better than Roma’s. And Spurs’

16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Georgiu looks even better than he did last pre-season.

Nkoudo despite the goal didn’t do himself any favors.

17. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's confirmed that the kits look gash with the white shorts.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    that's the first thing I thought when they switched coverage over from the MLS game.

19. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Beat Milan 1-0 with a lot of youth players including KWP, Eyoma, Georgiou, Skipp, Marsh, Amos all starting. Carter-Vickers coming on as a late sub. GKN with the goal.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    they (Milan) squandered a hatful of chances, it has to be said.

Amos gave the ball away rather a lot last night, but you'd have to say he's looked pretty good, overall, over the three games. Skipp and Marsh seemed composed as well. But Georgiou looking the best of the young lot for my money. Can envision uses for him in the current squad that are a little tougher to find in the others.

21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, I thought Georgiou was the most impressive of the young guys last night. Sounds like MP won't hesitate to use them if needed.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.