Spurs@Newport - FA Cup

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Jan 27, 2018.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ******** me. I hope we'll have enough to cope at Rochdale.

2. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh dele...
    shoulda been 3-0

3. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eriksen has created a half dozen chances for other players in the short time he's been on

4. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kwp to come on.

rose off

5. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kwp with a nice shot that curled just wide

6. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bad giveaway by.. foyth? vorm good save 1 on 1

7. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that's that. 2-0 FT

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Lamela the MoM for me. Foyth quite good.

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yay, we're through. :rolleyes: Rochdale will be quaking in their boots.

On the positive side, minutes for Toby and Rose getting back. Winks too, though he was underwhelming. Lamela MOTM for me, he looked great in the first half. Don't expect any of the same starters except Son, for the NLD.

10. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    except for 2 bad giveaways. first one cost wanyama a booking early on. and I think it was his giveaway near the end of the match?

vorm had the worst giveaway tho, right at the end line on the side pass to rose (I think?)

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    A minimalist performance and result, but for Poch it is job done without any major scratches before the NLD. Just under 39,000 at Wembley, with a little over 7,000 making the trip from Wales and adding some atmosphere to a mostly sophorific Spurs crowd.

Good performances from Son and Lamela, and had Lamela, Llorente (twice) and Dele converted some good chances in the 2nd half, we could have inflated the scoreline. Right now Llorente has zero confidence and reminds me of another Spanish dud, Soldado.

I don't know what's happening with Rose, he was dreadful again. I am afraid his summertime "I know what I'm worth" speech hasn't done him any favours.

Credit to Newport, unlike a lot of teams that have come to Wembley and just defended en masse, they actually tried to press and with a little more composure in the final third, they could have punished our sometimes lacklustre defence.

On to Rochdale then and another cow pasture of a pitch at Spotland. The game will be televised on Sunday Feb. 18 at 4 pm UK time, 8 am Pacific, 11 am Eastern.

COYS!

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Is this an omen? The last time we had 2 Argentinians in the side, we won back to back FA Cups in 1981-82...

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    actually, the last Argentinian pair in the same Spurs side were Mauricio Taricco's two left feet.

... I just figured it'd be nice to hear from Jumhed for the first time in yonks.

jumhed and Golara repped this.
  14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Pook, don't know what the TV situation is in the US, but Wednesday's lunchtime kickoff against Swansea and ex-manager Carvalhal on the 17th will be televised here in Canada.

I think the upset is on... possible Sheffield derby in the quarters?

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    when the draw was first made, it looked perhaps a potentially more favorable tie than it might at the moment. they (Swansea) had struggled in the first leg, and had been shite, in general; but it has to be said that Carlos' arrival has made for a change there - in the League, and of course we all saw the 2nd leg result. you have to think the Owls will be up for it ... but it's a tough unit to sort.

I remember a few years back when Wednesday had a 5th round tie v a very suspect Charlton Athletic to set up an a Steel City Quarterfinal. They shit the bed. The first half-hour was some of the worst professional football I've ever seen.

Still, given Swansea's current League position, you have to wonder if a Cup tie can be a priority for them. If Jos sends out anything less than a full-strength Wednesday side, I'll be hugely disappointed. Should they get through, a quarterfinal at Hillsborough v United or any big club (not that United qualify) would be brilliant; and you're quite correct in implying an interest on my part.

I've been pricing airfares for that week, and (as of now) it's quite do-able for under $800. Spurs (home or away) or United (@Hillsborough) in the quarters, and I'll be thinking very seriously.

16. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Taricco is the sex.

17. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Saying 'Taricco' is like my Bat signal

Phillyspur and pookspur repped this.
  18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    hey up, Jum.

we're genuinely good now. don't be a stranger.

jumhed repped this.
  19. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I feel like my work here is mostly done, guiding us through the dark times of Graham, Hoddle, Pleat, Gross, Ardiles and the other geniuses who have taken charge of our beloved Spurs over the years.

20. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like to think it is my references to that Portsmouth semifinal.

jumhed repped this.
  21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you been out to Wembley this season, Jum?

22. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeah man. Few times. Not bad.
    Can't not go while we're playing so well.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I've only been once - for Madrid - which was obviously excellent in myriad ways. but the combination of no decent pubs around and it being a nightmare to get out of made for a less than savory matchday experience.

I mean, it's not exactly easy getting to and from the Lane, either, but at least there's a plenty of places to neck a pint in between Seven Sisters and the ground.

it's great that we didn't end up going to MKDons, or something like that. but I'll be pleased when the whole Wembley thing is over.

24. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The pub thing doesn't bother me much as I'm going to the games with my two youngest who are 10 and 13.
    Really looking forward to having WHL back. It's looking pretty sweet so far.

Phillyspur repped this.