Spurs at World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Phillyspur, May 21, 2018.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That fact had not escaped my notice.
    That's what we were saying in our house.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It just shows that Poch is not just a great producer of players for England but for other countries too! No wonder RM were so keen to sign him.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    My only concern is that some of our players are going to be knackered for the start of the season.

5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Revealed this morning Vardy strained his groin in the game and needed an injection.

Count Chocula repped this.
  6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With Vertonghen's somewhat fluky goal against Japan we now have 4 scorers, first time ever. And Kane is now 2 clear for the golden boot. Still, he's just a one World cup wonder.

7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way to read that and not wince.

8. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol @ Maradona

I wonder if he gets the irony of his statement claiming the Colombians match was stolen from them

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With 9 players remaining across 3 nations, there are more Spurs players left than from any other club. It's guaranteed at least one of our boys will play in the final.

BalanceUT repped this.
  10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Belgium vs England yields the largest number of Spurs, right?

11. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The world cup final has already happened, hundreds of times. Spurs training sessions, attack vs defence.

England Belgium, bring it on.

BalanceUT repped this.
  12. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sure. The likely starters for each team, based on their use in the games so far: Vertonghen and Alderwiereld for Belgium;
    Trippier, Alli and Kane for England;
    Lloris for France.

I think all the others have seen minutes as subs (Dembele, Rose, Dier). I'm biased but I think Rose could do a better job than Ashley Young. Don't expect major changes now from Southgate though.

Not a big fan of Roberto Martinez, though I'd like to see Belgium make a final.

13. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    griezman or mbappe gonna have to hat trick the final to catch kane for golden boot

and that's if kane doesn't score at all from here on out

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    keep in mind that there's a consolation match. I don't know who's scored what for Belgium or Croatia, so maybe you're statement's still true; but the semifinal losers will still have one to play - and against a very unmotivated defense, at that.

Count Chocula repped this.
  15. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah, you are right, I forgot the consolation match

lukaku still needs 2 in that one then

16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I was surprised how poorly Dembele played. He was like bizarro Dembele, all the things he usually excels at he did very badly.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Belgium looked like Bizarro Belgium and Roberto Martinez looked like the Roberto Martinez, Everton edition. I think that ex-Arsenal weasel Thierry Henry e-mailed the Belgium game plan over to his old buddy Deschamps. France seemed to let them play the opening 20 minutes and then swatted them aside. If they had a proper #9 they would have won 3 or 4 nil.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    A game of Spurs past and present (I am still amazed that Corluka is still playing). Modric was superb, while our current players (Trippier excepted) disappeared once again in a semi-final.

I love what Southgate did with the side, but I always felt he was asking for trouble by playing Kyle Walker in a back 3, once again it was him who switched off on both goals, allowing his man to score. You could see as soon as the 2nd half started, the Croats targeted him at every opportunity.

And now it looks like Trippier has picked up a bad injury. We could be in for a very difficult start to the season.

19. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tbh England was more than too happy to boot the ball long after their goal. and kane wasn't winning many of them, in fact he looked spent in the 2nd half. sterling was the lone attacker that looked dangerous today, and he was the one taken off

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Sterling had a dreadful WC, ran around a lot, but didn't really do anything. Rashford must wonder what he needs to do to get a game, anywhere.

21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Spurs-heavy England team did better than any in a very long time. Sad to lose a game that they had in hand today, But, it was a good World Cup for England, and these Spurs players are largely responsible.

22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Keeping Trippier and letting Walker go was definitely the right thing to do. I don't think our guys have anything to be ashamed of.

23. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another scorer in Trippier makes it 5 different Spurs, smashing the previous best of 3. But I'm seriously worried now about injuries to him and Kane who had a quiet last 2 games.

24. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Now that I have seen the Croatia equalizer again, Dele didn't do a great job trying to close down the cross. These are the fine details that are the difference between winning and coming up short in big games.

25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yup. that and being able to put a shot on goal.

BalanceUT and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.