Spurs 0-1 Man Utd, PL, Jan. 13

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    A game of two halves, really. We were rubbish in the first and excellent in the 2nd, as a string of excellent David De Gea saves denied us getting at least a point.

Our usual failings in big games were there for all to see: conceding sloppy goals, poor finishing and the manager getting his tactics wrong. Once again, a Trippier gaffe led to the first goal; not for the first time this season Lloris got his angles wrong and a lack of ruthlessness in front of goal proved to be our downfall. Not to mention the bizarre tactics in the first half when we were way too open and showed no discipline. We are going to struggle if Sissoko and Winks are our midfield 2. Against the weaker teams, they are ok, but against the better teams, who have clever attackers, they get found out positionally.

So the priority now is to make sure we don't blow our top 4 status. With our mounting injury list in central midfield and Son off to the Asian Cup, we are going to need reinforcements to continue fighting on 4 fronts. However, I am not overly confident Uncle Danny and the board will deliver, with the stadium fiasco dragging on into March.

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    The news cycles are all about Solskjaer out managed Pochettino. I wish Ole a massive amount of success for the rest of the season. I want it to be incredibly difficult for the ManU board to fire him.

Chelsea second-leg, massive injury list, team looks a bit tired. Our season could be decided over the next month.

3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Dier should be coming back soon, right?

I thought the team played well yesterday. With an average GK, we would have got 3 or 4.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    And now we have concerns about Kane who injured his left ankle at the end of the game.

5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Looks like Kane will miss at least a month. With Son away and Moura injured, a promising season could go up in flames very quickly. I had a bad feeling our shocking lack of activity in the summer would come back to bite us and here it is.

BalanceUT repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the match tracker (BBC) and the highlights, if de Gea had not been on fire, that would not be the headline. From all accounts, Spurs took ManU's defense to task apart from the man in goal in the second half.

Not often do others wish mangers of Man U well, but I second this.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I don't, because the way they're playing and our mounting injury list, they could easily catch us in the table.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Top 4 might still be a possibility, but yeah Levy’s transfer gamble may finally come back to bite him in the ass.

BalanceUT repped this.
  10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    A scary stat: Kane and Son have combined to score 22 of our 46 goals in the PL this season.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs are weighing up a loan move for Barcelona forward Malcom, 21, with uncertainty over striker Harry Kane's fitness.

Funkfoot repped this.
  12. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just here to say feck.

13. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A winger? Not sure I understand where he would fit.

..........Llorente......Lucas
    Dele............Eriksen.........Malcom?
    ....................Winks

That's a rather unbalanced front six.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Clearly he would have to play in the middle with a name like that...

BalanceUT repped this.
  15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Golara did that... they really did that.

Phillyspur repped this.
  16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    be reyt. Lamela will save us. in what role, I don't know. but he'll step up. I can feel it in me water.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    He could go with Llorente up top and an attacking midfield 3 of Eriksen, Moura and Lamela, with Dele in a deeper role alongside Winks. Surely we can squeeze something out of the Spaniard, he did get 15 goals 2 seasons ago with a rubbish Swansea side.