Spring schedules

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by espola, Jan 28, 2013.

1. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    You get an exemption to play foreign teams so get to play an extra game against foreign (Canadian ?) teams. A few schools (Michigan state, Duquesne) playing same clubs. Smart if Canadian teams to recognize the loophole and venture out to play colleges.

Hararea repped this.
  2. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Penn State soccer has been playing Canadian clubs (not the whiskey) in spring games for the last few years, and the Nittany Lions have another one on tap for this spring, i.e., against the Vaughan Soccer Club of Ontario.

3. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame it has not been the whisky...more students would turn out.

Seriously: Anything significant stick out thus far? With ineligibility and injuries in the last couple of years, they have had to resort to supplementing the lineup with players who would not play the following Fall. Has this been a better Spring in that regard?

4. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I only saw these highlights of Penn State's first spring game vs. a team from Iceland:
    All the goal and assists were from players who are back for the Fall. I don't think any guys who are done played. Next game is against the Harrisburg Islanders on March 22.

24Seven repped this.
  5. Hank T

Hank T Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Albuquerque
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lobo's lose their first spring game. Bummer for Phoenix FC and the Lobo's.

Phoenix FC

To the fans and followers of Phoenix FC:

We regret to inform you that after much effort and energy to bring professional soccer to Phoenix, ASM, LLC will no longer be operating a USL PRO franchise.

We sincerely appreciate all the support and enthusiasm of our fans in hopes of making this venture successful.

Sincerely,

Phoenix FC Management

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I don't think I've ever been more distracted by lines on a field - at first they were very disorienting.

7. Hank T

Hank T Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Albuquerque
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... should have written: Lobo's first spring game cancelled.

8. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #83 bhoys, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Yea, those lines are certainly aren't helpful, but then again having a full-field indoor pitch available when the alternative for much of this winter was what you see below -- overall that indoor field is a big positive for the Penn State program.
    upload_2014-3-14_15-20-33.png

Attached Files:

9. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Michigan has two good games in Pontiac this weekend. I can't make these games so if anyone watches let me know how we look!

Real Mobile repped this.
  10. onewhoknows

onewhoknows Member

May 18, 2005
    This should help with Northwestern's spring schedule in the future. Pretty impressive.

http://www.nusports.com/genrel/031414aaa.html

upload_2014-3-17_15-19-46.png

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Looks like it could become the new hub for collegiate beach soccer. :)

12. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
  13. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Pitt played their first spring match against USL Pro Riverhounds. They resisted well. Lost 2-0 with goals at the 61' and 81'.

14. ChelseaFC9

ChelseaFC9 New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Notably not a Spring schedule but saw that NC State had announced their fall schedule and confirmed a split of the ACC into divisions for this coming fall.

15. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    On 3/22/2014 in Pontiac

Michigan 1, Notre Dame 0

16. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    That's good news to me. Where can I find coverage of this match?

17. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    I don't know. I got the score from ND's twitter. Unfortunately they didn't say who scored or provide much other detail.

18. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    The Georgetown University men's soccer team released updates to its 2014 spring schedule on Tuesday. The Blue & Gray will play four more games this spring. Georgetown defeated Temple University, 3-0, in the first game of 2014.

The Hoyas will make the short trip to College Park, Md., to take on the University of Maryland Terrapins on Thursday, April 3 at 8:15 p.m. The Terps were the 2013 national runners up and a late addition to the spring slate.

Wake Forest University will come to Shaw Field on April 5 for a 1 p.m., kickoff. The Demon Deacons were NCAA qualifiers a season ago.

The contest originally scheduled for last weekend at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County will now be played on Tuesday, April 8 in Baltimore at 8:30 p.m. The game was originally moved due to inclement weather. The Retrievers also earned an NCAA Tournament berth a season ago.

Georgetown will finish out the spring at the University of Delaware on April 13 at 1 p.m. The Blue Hens complete GU's tough spring slate with four NCAA Tournament qualifiers remaining.

19. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    On April 5, 2014 at the Michigan Bucks Challenge Cup in Pontiac:

Northestern 0, Oakand 0

Michigan 2, Michigan State 0 : good spring game with Michigan going up 2-0 at half. Colin McAtee and William
    Mellors-Blair scored for the Wolverines.

I also found out TJ VanSlooten scored the goal in the win against Notre Dame a couple of weeks ago.

Michigan finished the spring undefeated and untied. Go Blue!

Real Mobile and bhoys repped this.
  20. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Great to hear that Michigan is having a good spring. I'm really disappointed there isn't really any coverage of these games. UM beats defending national champs ND, then triumphs 2-0 over their in state rivals, MSU! Yes, these are "practice games", but two quality shut out wins ought to be news worthy, at least in Ann Arbor. I'm looking forward to the 2014 season!

21. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Yes I hear you. I suppose with Twitter we get the basic info, but a little more detail would be nice. Anyway it's been good news so I'm happy, and it looks like another good class coming in, so I'm also optimistic.

In defense of UMich Soccer, the announcement of the Real Madrid - Manu U game in the Big House on 8/2 came out this week. Could be a new record crowd for a soccer game on U.S. soil. Things should be hopping in AA that week!

22. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Also the announced crowd at the Michigan-Michigan State spring game last weekend was around 1100, so the game was well promoted by the Bucks and the schools. That type of atmosphere is important to the players and improving the team, and the lack of post game media reports is not as big of a deal (though it would be nice).

23. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This week-end, Pitt played JMU, GMU, and Louisburg in Mason's SpringScramble. The team goes unbeaten in 3 short 45' games with 2 ties and a win. Beating JMU and drawing with GMU and Louisburg.
    Goals came from Romeo Charron, Ryan Myers and ChuChu Onyeukwu.

This comes after a respectable loss 2-0 against USLPRO Riverhounds earlier in March and then (2nd April) a late Murray header salvaged a draw, as Pitt struggled to tie with Wheeling Jesuit.

Next match, they will play @ RMU on Saturday, April 12.

Hararea and fknbuflobo repped this.
  24. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Did the Riverhounds pay the referees ?

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/5842669-74/stadium-bankruptcy-million#axzz2yL9Un4hp

Why kids should never quit college except for the MLS or solid European club with good finances ...

25. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done, Romeo!

OverseasView repped this.