Sports Medicine thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Aug 11, 2014.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In today's concussion news, Davy Arnaud retired (and will go on DCU staff), Brandi Chastain announced she willed her brain to concussion study (at least 6 suspected concussions, plus I always thought she had one of the best headers in soccer when she was on Cyberrays). Cindy Parlow also willed her brain. Briana Scurry says she suffered concussion symptoms and cognitive issues for 3.5 years.

Scary stuff

2. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this today in the book Soccernomics (2009):
    • AC Milan's in-house Lab uses performance statistics to keep players playing longer. By studying a player's jump, they can predict with 70% accuracy the likelihood of injury.
    • Daniele Tognaccini is chief athletics coach at Milan Lab, says playing 60 tough games a year increases injury risk
      • 10% risk of injury during 1 game after 1 week's training
      • playing 2 days later increases risk 30-40%
      • Playing 4-5 games consecutively without proper recovery makes injury risk "incredible" and increases the probability of a lesser performance
    These injury rates were cited as a reason that England doesn't do well in tournaments - because their players are on the major EPL teams and under pressure to perform well all the time. The authors posited that England would do better in WC if English players had less playing time in the EPL (in 2007-2008 season, it was 37%). They also suggested England might benefit if their top players played in a less-intense league. Haha. Kind of the reverse of Klinsmann and USMNT.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    70% accuracy eh. I'm almost there. I can predict the result of a coin flip with 50% accuracy! Working on getting that last 20%.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can prayer help heal Lenny?

5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That question should go in the Sports Religious Thread.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was at O'Connor Hospital when my father was passing away and the doctor told us to use the chapel downstairs and pray.

7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was making a joke, Falvo. Sorry for your loss...

falvo repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

9. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it the praying didn't work?

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No big deal. I appreciate it! Thank you!

11. mthead14

mthead14 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    how do these metrics apply to Barcelona and Real Madrid? By my count Messi for example had 57 Barcelona appearances in 2015

12. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes said they make use of these two companies.

http://spartascience.com/

http://www.catapultsports.com/

mjlee22 repped this.
  13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe the problem is what the Quakes do with the data, e.g.,
    • "Oh, your analysis indicates you are at 20% risk of getting injured if you play today, so your hamstring must be good enough to risk it."
    • "Oh, you're running with a little bit of a limp on your right side, so when it gets to 20% out of spec, we'll send you to a physical therapist."

15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kind of a glass is half empty type person, aren't you?;)

16. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just doesn't seem like these consultants are getting very good results.

17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MIT Sloan Sports Analytics conference is being held in Cambridge this weekend. One of the paper is about predicting injuries in the NBA. Analysis of 500 injuries over 2014 and 2015 seasons. They found that the number of games in the last 14 days and the number of games on consecutive nights in that time were minor factors. This would contradict the Milan Lab I reported earlier. Instead, Hisham Talukder says that:
    • Better indicators were a player’s speed, usage and overall season workload. That helps explain why the highest injury risk right now is someone who plays like a complete maniac: Oklahoma City guard Russell Westbrook.

18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    928159420332228609 is not a valid tweet id

20. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blew out one ACL in 1987 (age 22), the other in '95, with reconstruction of both in '96 that was followed by osteoarthritis diagnosis in '99 for me.

mjlee22 and falvo repped this.
  21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is part of the reason I was so furious with the MLS schedule this year. The congestion was in complete disregard for the fitness of the league's players, all to satisfy FIFA. That's unacceptable. Play the games on a set schedule. If you are missing players due to international duty, you're missing players. Trying to sandwich games in between dates so that teams are playing three games in 10 days is just insane.

22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree totally. Thanks for requoting those stats, I forgot I had posted them!
    ON the upside, MLS is considering going to single-elimination for the playoffs. They should really stop the mid-week games too, but i'm not sure that is part of the plan.

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think single elimination would be the superior format. Heck, they did it for the first round of playoff games this year because they wanted two teams to have the first round off? The scheduling people for the league are among the dumbest people to walk the earth, and it's all "designed" to maximize the amount of the money the league can milk out of fans. Competitiveness and fairness are probably not even words they are familiar with.

24. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. Sometimes The playoffs are more like the film “The Last Man Standing”

I really don’t understand the mid-week games. Nobody goes during regular season, and during the playoffs they are just bad for the players’ health, and their attendance is not that great. It’s also sad to see mid-week games spread to the EPL as well.

25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Once again, you can blame the NFL and Garber's obsession with turning MLS into the soccer equivalent. Things will not improve so long as he is commissioner. He was reared on the methods of pro football, which did catapult that league into dominance at the expense of everyone but the owners. I'm confident that if MLS stays on this path, it will suffer for it hard, and the US may be without a top flight league again.

Not going to happen overnight or anything, but the longer the league has been around, the more hubris and repeating mistakes the other leagues have made ias if they do basically zero research into their own business. It doesn't give me a lot of hope for the future of the league.

don gagliardi and mjlee22 repped this.