Sporting News Piece with anonymous player quotes on JK

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Golazo, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This wasn't the first time lack of match preparation has appeared in an article with regards to team Klinsmann/Vasquez.

Klinsmann's lack of detailed match-preparation left the players baffled. Before a crucial Champions League match away to Barcelona, striker Miroslav Klose was unsure whether he was supposed to pressurize his opponents high up on the pitch or defend deep. Bayern lost 4-0.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/raphael_honigstein/07/30/klinsmann/index.html#ixzz2QZ3V5Q5j

SPA2TACU5 and Adiaga Two repped this.
  2. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Great, now we're going to get a bunch of videos of tactical planning during JK's time at Bayern to prove Klose is wrong.

Adiaga Two, deuteronomy and Mr Martin repped this.
  3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they will include the infamous PowerPoint slides that Hoeness railed about!

4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    [​IMG]

You kids with your computers and powerpoints......

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. Straus had a set of opinions and chose quotes that supported said opinions. All perfectly good journalism. The fact that someone as prominent as Howard has called Straus out for using 'old quotes out of context' just puts the TSN piece under more scrutiny.

There is nothing incorrect in that particular quote “(Klinsmann) didn’t really say how we were going to play. It was a quick turnaround,” one U.S. player recalled. It just left an interesting impression that there was no tactical prep work.

6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Boca have to say anything before he was asked? What did Clint say? Edu? Guzan?

7. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this just speculation?

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "With Klinsmann, we had Powerpoint presentations and we spent thousands of euros on computers so that he could show the players in epic proportions how we wanted to play, with the emphasis on the word 'wanted','' explained Hoeness.

"Heynckes has a flip chart with five marker pens which cost 2.50 each. He draws the opponent's formation on the chart and says a few things about it. We are winning games with Heynckes for 12.50 whereas we spent lots of money with Klinsmann for little success. A coach is not young or old, he is just good or bad.''
    http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/971868/bundesliga:-hoeness-delighted-with-frugal-heynckes?cc=5901

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did not see that quote in Straus' piece, just the Lahm quote. I guess it would have told an opposite story than what Straus wanted to tell.

10. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Lol, Hoeness is such an ass.

The thing here is of course not about the length of Klinsmann's tactical talks, but whether the players a) understand what he's saying and b) have been trained to execute those tactics.

I put great questionmarks over Klinsmann's (Vasquez?) ability to effectively do b.

deuteronomy and Mr Martin repped this.
  11. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, Hoeness is an ass. A very successful one. :D

And those quotes are dripping with sarcasm and distain for JK. I doubt those two exchange Christmas cards.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really not see those quotes as a massive criticism of JK? Or are you just pulling our collective legs?

WrmBrnr repped this.
  13. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Strauss said he spent more time with and quoted Klinsmann more than any player in the article. . .

Klinsmann said it’s all by design.
    “They all want the safety net. They want to always feel comfortable, but if you want to elevate the program to another level, you need to go to a phase of being uncomfortable out there and then deal with that,” he said.
    He doesn’t want players knowing the lineups before game day because he wants them competing hard up until the last minute (and not sharing the information with confidants who might leak it to the press).
    As for unexpected changes in tactics or formation, well, dealing with that is part of being an elite player as well.
    “On that level that we operate," Klinsmann told Sporting News on Sunday, "and maybe I’m a bit different from whoever was there before, you expect players to adjust right away to different tasks on the training field, to different formations, to different ways of solving problems. That goes back basically to leaving their comfort zone. We do that in training sessions, too. And, yeah, it makes them kind of worried.”
    “Now suddenly it’s a higher level. Suddenly I have to adjust in training or suddenly I don’t know if I’m in the starting 11. Or I have to switch (formations) and still I have to solve it on the field. I have to build chemistry with the guy I never see when I come into camp. When all those elements we throw at them now, because if we don’t do it, it’s too late in the World Cup.”

“I understand that first there’s always an uncomfortable feeling with every change you bring to a team environment in any industry you work with,” Klinsmann said Sunday, asking, “If any of the players that you talked to said what he can do to solve the problem. ... If they feel that way, which is fair enough, then they can actually do something about it. If the players were to ask a German-American about his background ...”

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article was nothing but positive. If nothing else it established "an us vs. them" mentality within the team. A rallying cry from Bradley. Behind the scenes it's possible some of the players had a "talk" perhaps to clear the air.

The fight in the national team might be back. But they need to create more scoring opportunities.

15. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Actually, "emphasis on the word 'wanted'" tells the exact story Straus was trying to tell.

16. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    1. Klose is never wrong.

Also, Do we really need to talk about Bayern losing 4-0 and trying to push the idea it's all JK's fault because a striker didn't know how to play?

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the question. We will have the answer by September. ;)

Looks like unlike FC Hollywood, the USSF had no issues spending a few tens of thousand $ on tech gear.

After further review:
    Dolo does look very confused at 0:25 (Vasquez) in the pre-match 1 on 1.
    MB looks confused and angry at 0:27 (Herzog) in the pre-match 1 on 1.

MB and LD are playing teacher's pet by sitting up front at 5:26 in the tactical pre-match review.
    Is MB really interested or trying to keep from falling asleep at 6:03? Mo looks entertained.

http://www.ussoccer.com/media-library/Videos/US-Men/2012/06/120614-BTC-Deal-with-It.aspx

18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

If anybody in the player pool should be a fan of the direction Klinsmann has taken the national team in, it's Graham Zusi.

Foolishness repped this.
  20. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, let's give this a rest. News and analysis this ain't.

Namdynamo, Statman and Friedel'sAccent repped this.