Sporting Legends

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Klein is the only one in this year. Good choice in my opinion.

2. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This whole thing needs to slow its roll.

3. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends how inclusive they/we want it to be. If someone like Alex Zotinca should be a Sporting Legend someday, then one a year from here on out is probably fine. If you want something more exclusive, then 1 every other year, 1 every fifth year, etc. What pace would you like to see?

4. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would like to see anything that suggests there is no pace or planned timing to any of this. That's what I want to see.

5. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How inclusive would you like it to be?

6. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would like to see it be less inclusive. Don't really have the parameters. Just get the feeling like skc are force feeding history and nostalgia that's not really there. Just my opinion.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who elected or nominated hasn't deserved to be in? Who that's been up for it has made it feel less inclusive? The team had 17 years of history to back track on.

I agree that over the first two years I got a little hesitant of how they were going about it, but limiting it to 1 a year if that is fine.

8. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Honestly cannot remember all the nominees. If Vermes is in as a coach, that's premature. If Vermes is in as player, i think that's not something I'd have voted for.

Klein is the 6th or 7th inductee. For a team that's been around for 17 years (with basically a .500 record in that time), that means we are almost averaging .5 of a player every year. Mathematically, it just feels a bit much. Going forward, if we kick out a hall of fame-worthy player at that rate, we're either way above .500 or have too broad of a definition.

I think all the inductees are pretty outstanding, but generally would error on the side of limiting the franchise going forward. Committing to add a certain number per year feels like a mistake.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #59 Buzz Killington, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Vermes is the only one I think you can argue with, but if you combine his playing and coaching it becomes harder.

Here are the 6 that are in at this point, not counting Klein

Preki
    Meola
    Gansler
    Conrad
    Vermes
    Hunt

So three players, 1 coach, 1 player/coach, and the original owner of the team. I don't think that's over doing it, Klein with his stats for the club, it's hard to argue he shouldn't be in.

From here there are only maybe 3 players I'd add in that aren't retired, Garcia, Johnston, and Zavagnin. Just because a team is just over .500 doesn't mean that they don't have hall of famers and the players around them just aren't good enough...

10. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As I said, Vermes is really the only one I can say I wouldn't vote for so far. We will see going forward.

Like most all things this thread especially, it's like, your opinion man.....

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, there certainly needs to be a slowing eventually or else it becomes obsolete.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nominees for this year are up, Johnston, Zavagnin, Wolff, and Newman.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zavagnin gets in this year

Sachsen repped this.
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They aren't being selected for the US soccer hall of fame (there still is one, isn't there?). To me, this is nothing more than making official what you would chant in the stands. Sporting Legend. It's just fun, and as much about the fans as the players.
    On that, there are some others I think should be included.
    Digital. He scored our first goal, was the first player to attract local attention. the crawl was cool. I will always stand and smile and applaud Digital. Also, I stonewalled Dig once in a scrimmage, so I need at least one legend like that.
    Miklos Molnar. A total hoot of a player. Could only score goals. Won us a title. Tiny feet in tinier shoes.
    Lalas. Mostly so he'd come back and be booed. But he was fun, if a bit crap. Maybe a lot crap. He was fun though. His beard in the Guinness trick was a hoot. Maybe say we're giving him a Legend selection then pull it away at the last second...
    Mo. Of course Mo. We need that photo of the blood running down his face plastered everywhere. That is the quintessential image of SKC, even if he was a Wiz/ard. Is there anyone on here that wouldn't chant KC Legend when Mo walked onto the field?

15. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see the reasoning behind Digital, Molnar, and Mo. (Not Lalas though, are you kidding me?) But for me at least, I favor longevity for the club - sustained excellence over a large-ish period of time - more than one or two seasons of excitement. Yes, the 2000 season was awesome. But I don't see any of those guys getting in before someone like Zavagnin.

Of course, I think all the obvious candidates have now been chosen. The next few are going to be interesting.

mschofield repped this.
  16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next ones depend on retirement length before inclusion. Both Nielsen and Arnaud are going in eventually.

17. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of the White Puma, here he is patrolling the sideline at Saturday's OKC @ Tulsa game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    On here? No. But then about half the stadium appeared to have no idea who Kerry Zavagnin was, so...

mschofield repped this.
  19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mschofield repped this.
  20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wow, I forget how much the league has progressed until I see a goal set up at Mile High in the middle of a Broncos painted endzone without a visible end line

21. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    My first MLS game to ever see in person was Marcelo Balboa's Rapids v Wizards in the summer of 1996.
    Yes, the league has progressed.

mschofield repped this.
  22. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Garcia, Gutiérrez, Johnston and Wolff up for the Hall of Fame. Hope Mo gets in this year.

mschofield repped this.
  23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun fact: All four of those guys played in the 2000 MLS Cup. However, two of them were playing for the Fire.

mschofield repped this.
  24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Hall, to date:
    2013Preki, Tony Meola, Bob Gansler
    2014Peter Vermes, Jimmy Conrad, Lamar Hunt
    2015Chris Klein
    2016Kerry Zavagnin

Mo should be in because Mo was incredibly cool.
    Gutierrez should be in because, if I am correct, he was our first local star.
    I know Wolff was with us for a while, but we aren't the club that comes to mind with him, are we? I still think of him as a Fire player who came over, and very much did a job, and the image of him I keep is against Mexico in Columbus ... Of course, I just made a case for Mo, so maybe this is a crap argument. But he'd be tied with Garcia for my third choice on the list.

25. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every year I'm shocked that Mo is rejected again and I wonder if there is some concern by the club that he wouldn't return for recognition.