Sporting KC to be on Fox Sports KC in 2017

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A Christmas Miracle!

"Sporting KC will continue to produce the telecasts — including 30-minute pre-game and post-game shows — but will have access to Fox Sports' on-air production elements."

I do not know what "Fox Sports' on-air production elements" means, but hopefully the overall broadcast will be better that what has been done previously, especially last season. I'd really like for SKC to take a look at the TV production from other MLS clubs. I've said it previously, SKC should go watch a Sounders broadcast production from Root Sports to see how it is done. There are other MLS clubs that use regional Fox broadcasts, so hopefully they can bring something. I'm sure that others here watch MLS Live and it is clear to me that SKC has been the worst. The RSL vs SKC broadcast was so bad last season that i watched the the match from RSL feed.

Assuming that they can get the sound and video correct, here are the two biggest production improvements that I'd like to see:

1. Never miss live action. Not for a replay. Not for a sideline question. No exceptions.
    2. Always keep the match clock on the screen. Not for a replay. Not for a sideline question. No exceptions.

ZooCougar and vividox repped this.
  3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't speak to home broadcasts, but my understanding was most away broadcasts, especially those late in season when they just did the game from a booth in KC they used the home team's feed and camera work. They had no control over the replays, sideline questions, etc.

On that note I'd hope that'd mean a return to the broadcast team traveling. If they're in a booth do I really need to be listening to them watch the same thing on the same screen I am?

4. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to think that the guys running the video board and camera operators have little experience in what the game is about. You see that kind of camera and video direction in other American sports, but it just doesn't work with soccer. They need to get a clue that the action is almost constant and for them to show other stuff going on that has nothing to do with the action on the field is maddening. The need their production crew to sit down and study the feed from the EPL to understand camera shots, replays, pauses for single player close ups, etc.

Luke Campbell repped this.
  5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm indifferent about this move (unless production quality gets worse, which i can't see how that's possible), but with it no longer being an over-the-air channel, that could hurt some people, especially those who've cut the cord.

i sure hope there aren't any overlaps with royals games. can't imagine there are many people who get fox sports plus. i know i'm not one of them.

6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The move itself does seem to be a step in the right direction. 38 The Spot is a local channel where you go to find sit com syndication, and in some sense, having professional sports on there seemed tied-in or forced. FOX Sports seems like a much more fitting place to have the games and hopefully that carries with it some production value.

We really do need to up the production value, though. Not sending the broadcast crew to the game is ridiculous, and that can't keep happening. That probably doesn't have much to do with the station move, but I really hope they are making progress on that front as well this offseason.

7. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, one thousand times. Doing that just screams "minor league".

8. lawnchair

lawnchair Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #8 lawnchair, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Sigh. I'm one who came in to serious Wizards/SKC fandom when they went to broadcast (2010... I've never thought it coincidental that the giant jump in popularity coincided with the switch to OTA), and will go back to "catch an game once in a blue moon at a bar, but not really follow".

Gross numbers... this is probably the right call. More random TV sets in Des Moines, Springfield, or Salina (or St. Louis... for some games) versus losing casual viewers in the KC market. Though how many of that broader market will ever drive to CMP?

Advertising-wise, those of us who don't pay for cable are not a choice market anyway (either poor or terminally cheapskate). I don't feel like I deserve a free TV feed or anything. More than anything, the group you lose with this move is the KCK hispanic market.

Hope the money is good. Hope the production quality improves. Sad I won't be around to see it.

9. Luke Campbell

Luke Campbell Member

May 16, 2013
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yay for (assumed) increase in production value, nay for folks like me who choose to have only OTA TV. Looks I'll be "borrowing" some cable access!

10. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like the next logical step to increase the TV market and gain more exposure

11. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have Google Fiber and found out I had fox sports plus the day after this was announced. Bar in the basement, can host some watch parties in LS MO in the basement if Buzz brings his "wit".

12. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really frustrating. I had an event during the RSL match and had great difficulty finding and then recording the game. Since the Royals were rained out, the game switched channels, but my DVR didn't know, so I had to record the end of what my DVR thought was the Royals' game and then extend that recording by 120 minutes so it didn't cut off after 20 minutes.

At least when it was on the Spot, I knew where it would be on TV and it actually competed with the Royals. Now, Sporting literally has taken a subordinate position to the Royals AND the Royals' post-game program. This doesn't seem like a good way to raise the profile of the broadcast; make it where your audience can't find it on a part-time obscure channel except when it switches to the main channel - but then only sometimes.

Also, I can confirm that "legacy" TWC customers must switch to a new "Spectrum" lineup in order to receive FSMW+. The entire cable package will be changed and once you take a Spectrum package, you cannot revert.

While I'm at it, a big BOOO!! for Google Fiber and Leawood still giving one another the middle finger. Recently I asked Leawood and they said it's Google's choice and a week ago Google says it's still Leawood's fault. I don't care - Google take my money.

13. DemDave

DemDave Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Their Facebook post before the game stated "UPDATE: Tonight's game will air on FOX Sports Kansas City in addition to FOX Sports Kansas City Plus and the FOX Sports Go app." So if you had left your original DVR recording, it should have still caught the game.

If you ever do miss a recording with your DVR, I've noticed they've been replying the game multiple times (like they do with Royals games), and it's always available within a few hours on the Fox Sports Go streaming service.

14. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I know not everyone has it, but it's also available pretty quickly on MLS Live, even if it was initially blacked out.