Sporting KC signs 2nd Designated Player - Jéferson Rodrigues Gonçalves

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Felixx219, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. revsfan444

revsfan444 Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Good for skc

3. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    anybody seen this guy play before? any word if there is an option to buy and make the move permanent or is this a half season thing only?

4. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People that have seen him play see excited about it. I have read multiple comments from people that say he is the real deal.

5. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    if he can be as good as Juninho has been for LAG he'll be a great addition.

6. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Good signing for KC, the only real hole in there attack right now seemed to be a quality AM...you could see it last nite when they were trying to break down the 9men Houston team.

7. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't think MLS makes loan deals that don't have an option to buy.

8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Traditionally they don't, but MLS apparently relaxed the rule last year to allow teams to bring in loan players without a buy option. I'm thinking Simon Dawkins in SJ may not have a buy option, for instance.

9. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We broke Houston down fine. We just couldn't finish.

10. X@V!3R

X@V!3R Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Land of the Lost
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzI5XWBJT7E"]Jeferson Rodrigues Gonçalves Scouting Report[/ame]

11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
  12. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Meh, very few chances were created outside of Kemara's and most were off crosses just loped in. The team lacked creativity.

13. X@V!3R

X@V!3R Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Land of the Lost
    Haha, I'm guessing so ... since I turned it off after about 3 seconds.

In retrospect I should have given fair warning.

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now Teal just needs to get his shit together, and start playing like he gives a damn.

15. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    It seems this fellow was subject to surplus at Vasco but he was talented at his other teams. I am not sure how he did in Avai. I hope he pans out.

16. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    having seen him play in philadelphia, the guy oozes talent and potential... but he seems to drift in and out of games; is it his lack of maturity or his attitude??

he seems like the type of player that needs a 'rocket sent up his arse periodically'- but he's too young for a team to give up on him

maybe his dad, an excellent former professional player for Canada and Maritimo in Portugal, needs to have a talk with him about not missing the opportunities that are coming his way-- soccer people will loose patience with him and then he gets the reputation as a 'might have been' and not worth the risk and effort trying to motivate him

17. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Man KC have really turned their franchise around. From under 10k attendance in a crappy stadium to over 15k attendance with 2 DPs and a nice unbeaten streak.

Makes me hope TFC can finally turn around their franchise one day...

18. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Normally I'd say the odds are pretty slim that the whole management team would fire itself. But TFC's executives seem dumb enough to do it by accident one afternoon after a few martinis.

19. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    He has a fantastic googlenglish wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jéferson_Rodrigues_Gonçalves

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I honestly think that the couple years in the "crappy stadium" actually has helped the team in the long run. They may have had "under 10k attendance", but the stadium held 10,385.

The benefit of playing at CAB is that the folks who were used to getting freebies, sponsor, and subsidized tickets for Arrowhead got weeded out.

In an astonishing brief moment of candor, a previous GM of the Wizards, in an interview, indicated that the team needed to draw 18k to break even at Arrowhead.

Whereas the capacity of LiSP is just over that number.

That doesn't mean that the GM was wrong, I think it shows you that the average amount paid per ticket has gone up significantly.

21. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what's funny? There are now two players in MLS from Brazil with the same last name, but their first names came from great Americans in history...

I mean, come on... Jeferson and Jackson? :D

Only in America...

22. F.C. Lurker

F.C. Lurker New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Brazil. ;)

1 person likes this.
  23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    excellent points. there's something to be said about creating and fostering demand and playing in appropriate-sized venues. MLS isn't the only league around the world building venues that are "smallish" yet appropriate.

yes, ticket prices may have changed/increased.

but operationally and economically, being a secondary tenant in an NFL venue might be (and likely is) different and more challenging than being the primary tenant in a venue built for your team and one that you control (and from which your business receives sponsorship and other dollars).

Operating the game-day business out of LiSP vs out of Arrowhead Stadium (and what it takes or took to "be profitable" or "break even" at each) are likely two very different calculations and equations.

24. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. That's the whole rationale for building one's own stadium.

When you get the money from, say, concessions and parking, you have additional revenue streams. The same is true with additional events (for which you don't have to pay additional rent). Etcetera.

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case, expect the Revs to sign Fillmore any day now.

3 people repped this.