Sporting KC player national team news [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Sep 29, 2011.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    USOC Dates:

06/14; Round 4 (Minnesota at home)
    06/28; Round 5
    07/11; Quarterfinals
    08/09; Semifinals
    09/20; Final

So basically, our first three rounds in the USOC are without our national teamers, good luck to our C team, and we aren't even going to start taking it seriously until the Semifinals.

2. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1477 Formulaic, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Excellent post vividox. It will be interesting to see who is called up for the wcq vs the gold cup. I see us as having a lot of fringe players right now, which means gold cup could be killer for us, paeticularly since we are learning that missing more than maybe 2 starters at a time isn't ending well

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler and Zusi called up for the upcoming friendly and World Cup qualifiers.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I really get the feeling we're going to get killed by the Gold Cup. But I'm guessing we'll have Besler and Zusi during that time. At least Zusi. Well at least for the group stage. If they go like the last couple, teams can make changes for the group stage.

I expect Bruce to pull in some of the non-MLS based players with a lot of non-MNT regular MLS players.

I would expect Roger, Dom, and Benny to all be called in for the "who wants a chance to spend next summer in Russia" sweepstakes. I wouldn't be stunned if Melia or Opara also got called in.

I think we'll keep the "known quantities" Zusi and Besler in Kansas City, but who really knows what Bruce is going to do.

5. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Opara and Benny deserve a look but man I worry about Ike staying healthy.

6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'd pay Bruce $1000 right now to not call up a single SKC player for the rest of the year.

mschofield and AndyMead repped this.
  7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, the potential Gold Cup call ups scare me because of the "potential" guys if Arena decides to give guys that have good MLS seasons (Melia and Opara for example) a try along with him already saying he wants to have a look at Dom this summer.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saad called up too, so 5 players away on national team duty

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    MLS Oldtimer Quiz: Why did that rule get put into place (the actual event, not "because it should've been")

Correct answer wins rep!

12. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Espinoza is having back spasms, so he'll be staying in KC for physical therapy.

13. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Thinkit was that slow defender, Brown? who played for the fire. Got a red and was promptly called into a friendly played in San Jose, i believe.

AndyMead repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yep. The MNT played a friendly against Wales in San Jose on a weekend where 8 of 10 teams were playing. Bruce Arena called in a squad heavy on DC and San Jose players (the two teams that were off). After the red cards (possibly in a mid-week game, memory is fuzzy), both C.J. Brown and Ryan Suarez (!) were added to the squad.

I believe several players got their first (and possibly) only caps in that game.

Player ratings:
    http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/2003/may26.htm

It doesn't look like I've got photos online from the game. I should rectify that. Scott Bales shot that game. I vaguely remember that a very drunk Welsh fan "invaded" the pitch.

mschofield repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If you were wondering how he did at the U-20 WC.........

vividox repped this.
  16. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Bringing the Roger discussion over here. How much does his call up shenanigans hurt his future Honduras call up potential? More specifically, is he going to be around / allowed to play for SKC during Gold Cup?

17. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hopefully it ruins his future callup potential entirely, haha. But really, I'm more concerned if Honduras can actually use fifa law to strike that as a loss for skc against Montreal

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't named to Honduras' provisional roster at all for the Gold Cup, so he won't be leaving.

19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hmm, guess I dreamed seeing that. Alrighty then.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think at 30, a lot of smart players who've been through a couple cycles realize they need to focus on club, and club alone. Int footie is best left to youngsters who's bodies bounce back quickly.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Maybe, I'm guessing the appeal of playing in a third World Cup has some major appeal. If Honduras is eliminated in the Hex, I'd not be surprised to see him retire internationally.

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You may be correct, but these recent "injury" misses look like a stereotype, the player who has decided he'd like to keep his options open, but skip a couple Qs. That player is usually pretty close to the end of his international days.
    On quality and form, he's still one of the best 11 for Honduras. Really glad they left him alone this summer

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All 3 SKC players on US roster based on Besler on the US Soccer instagram account. Official confirmation in a few minutes on Fox.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Looking at the 23, if Besler is on the field, I'd not be shocked to see him with the armband.

25. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, similarly, Zusi.