Sporting KC player national team news [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until it affects them in the stands enough they don't really have a reason to.

2. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep ... and really ... the league is working on becoming "deeper" with the GAM/TAM stuff anyways, so ideally, it helps quality.

And hopefully the Gold Cup will be once every 4 years going forward!

mschofield repped this.
  3. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi showed really well at right back for the USMNT. He didn't get many serious challenges, but what did come his way he handled well.

vividox repped this.
  4. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure hope Benny starts against Jamaica. I thought he showed better than Kljestan.

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Kljestan won't start again, he was released from the team for the birth of his son. Got to think Benny gets the start at AM.

6. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Difficult to say that. Benny played briefly against the Serbian reserves. From everything we hear out of camp, it will take much more for Feilhaber to jump Kljestan on the depth chart.

7. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Jones not able to start against Honduras, if Bruce sticks with a 1 forward lineup, why not have Benny and SK play in front of Bradley in a 3 man midfield. Pulisic and Nagbe on either side with Jozy up top. Yedlin and FJ as outside backs and Brooks and ??? at CB role. It won't be Besler because they're both "left footed CB's". I could see Omar if Cameron isn't healthy.

8. NathanSP

NathanSP Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Bruce might not be such a stickler about not having two "left footed CBs". Part of me wonders if Brooks and Besler with Cameron at CDM isnt the nats best central defense .

Blando13 repped this.
  9. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is only room for one attacking mid in the 4-1-4-1 that Arena played yesterday and the 4-4-2 the he usually favors and it sounds like Kljestan is ahead of Feilhaber. I wish there was a way to play only one of Bradley/Jones to free up one of the midfield positions, but I don't see that happening on a permanent basis anytime soon.

My guess is that Benny will be in the 18 versus Honduras, but he will be a bench player in a similar role to what Bradley had for him. This will be an improvement over the "attacking" midfield options implemented by JK. M. Bradley was awful at the No.10.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    At this stage of his career, I think Benny makes more sense as a super sub than a starter. Bring him in at 60 as the other team starts to tire physically and mentally.

Blando13 repped this.
  11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think Sacha's head is a bit more level than Benny's, too. In a pragmatic side, you do want as much consistency as you can stuff in an XI.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Benny is kinda like the old Royals' pitcher Danny Jackson. When he's on, he's world class.

But when Danny was pitching, the Royals should've started warming up a long reliever at the start of the game - just in case. I don't think that applies to Benny at the club level, but in World Cup Qualifiers, possibly.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    IMO, this is a worst case for SKC. He's off on nats duty, so unavailable, but not playing so not gaining the confidence that can come from representing the country. I guess he's not getting hurt, though that happens as often in training

14. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Totally disagree. Benny was one of the brighter spots on the team, competition be damned. Kljestan at times looked downright bad.

15. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hmm, maybe I just have a man crush on Benny. Well, I do. Maybe it's stronger than normal today.

16. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Klestjan has much smoother one touch stuff than Benny often does. He's made a living off flicks and stuff around the box to free up forwards. Benny usually makes space for himself and finds a runner.

That said, his late pass was beautiful.

17. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm instantly reminded of Kljestan's terrible two touches immediately preceding his yellow card.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sportingkc.com/post/2017/02/02/arena-dwyer-i-wouldve-brought-him-camp

19. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
  20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi captaining the US tonight. Not sure the last time a KC player captained the US. I'm wondering if Jimmy did once, if not him, maybe Meola when he got cap 100.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I could swear Besler wore the armband for one of the February friendlies a few years ago. Haven't found a photo though.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Feilhaber looked good for the most part tonight. He had several passes that he put a little too much on but was definitely able to create chances tonight. The creativity was clearly down a few levels after he left the game.

Zusi didn't look out of place, for the most part, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with him playing RB in a meaningful qualifier unless he starts playing there in KC. Can't afford to give up a goal because he's caught out of position and has to get into a foot race with an opposing team's winger.

kcfooty repped this.
  25. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Besler's situation could be interesting moving forward. Given Arena's desire to have experience in the squad leading into the qualifiers, I think Besler would have been the number one CB in camp if he was healthy.

However, reports indicate that Arena seemed to be impresssed with all four that were in camp. By the time Besler will have another opportunity, Bruce will also have Brooks, Cameron, Gonzalez, Miazga and Ream to consider as well. Besler could have been in a very good position with a strong winter camp but may now have trouble climbing the depth chart instead.