Sporting Kansas City v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday, August 31

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Aug 26, 2019.

?

Result?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2019.
  1. Dynamo win

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I'm sure I have better things to do on Labor Day weekend. Even if I have to make something up.

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Also any Nazis up there in KC?

2. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he played Ramirez. And team followed pretty common protocol of not playing a player in the middle of serious transfer negotiations which would not be his decision. So Arnaud didn't have the option to select Mario. So who exactly is being a dipshit?

DynamoManiac repped this.
  3. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Davy for using the same tactics

Varus repped this.
  4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Because Mauro was subject to a transfer offer from FC Porto, so they held him out.

5. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Look, what difference at this point does it make? With Mauro/Mario on the field we would’ve found a different way to lose.

I’m really hoping they don’t win or tie another game this season... not losing gives Jordan wings to say something like “we went thru a rough patch but we see that we have some good players to execute our strategy... 2020 looks promising” or some similar bullshit

ElNaranja, DynamoManiac, *rey* and 2 others repped this.
  6. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well ... I will always root for the dynamo to win. Every game. Every time. That is just me.

CeltTexan repped this.
  7. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    @DonJuego

And I respect that... deep inside me I wish they would win and make the playoffs... or beat the Galaxy in a meaningful game, like last year. But I’m at the point where if there is no major change during the off-season, I may not watch the MLS at all next season. My attitude and expectations are very poor and to be honest I feel sick watching the Dynamo at this point.

I’m not a fair weather fan... I mean, I’ve gone to at least 10 Astros games every year since 1990, and during 3 back-to-back-to-back 100 game losing seasons. Never had STs to the Dynamo until 2018, but used to go to about 5 games per season at the Rob and the first couple of years at BBVA.

The Dynamo have no players that I like or feel a connection with, they have no plan on how to get out the dark place they’ve put themselves in. I’ve kept spending money on a product that I do not like, just because it’s my home team. I think I’m about to reach my breaking point.

Sorry for the rant.

DonJuego, *rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries. I think this illustrates just how far the Dynamo franchise has fallen - you almost root against them from afar because any success is used as a validation of the current regime's plan and spending levels or supports the excuses made by Jordan ("look at our great start!, our roster was good enough!"). Like short-term success is just going to perpetuate the long-term failure.

What I've noticed is that Arnaud hasn't gotten any competitive spirit out of the players. They look uninspired and unmotivated. Barrett had really limited talent and got them to grind out some results (although I thought he went way too conservative trying to grind out draws when it probably didn't matter).

Is that Davy or do we have a bad player group in terms of mindset?

Dynam0 and *rey* repped this.
  9. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's Arnaud unless Jordan is dictating the lineup. The few interviews that Arnaud has had suggests that he subscribes to Cabrera's tactics and thinks that they were fundamentally sound.

From the Athletic article:

Barrett came in and was methodical. We're going to play a 4-1-4-1, we're going to play guys who hustle all game and we're going to stop the defensive bleeding before we do anything else. Was some of the most boring soccer the team ever played, but it was tactically sound and logical given who he had to work with.

I think Barrett was also misled about what his job was supposed to be, i.e. he was coaching like someone who was going to be here long-term versus an audition. It was only at the end that you saw him start trying to change stuff up and inject the loanees like Keyner Brown/Escalante/Arboleda into the game.

Arnaud realistically I don't know what he should do. Either go ultra-defensive like Barrett and sell the FO/fanbase on a slow transition or try and shake things up and hope he catches lightning in a bottle down the stretch to get the gig and then try and establish something long-term.

I'd confidently say what he shouldn't be doing is trotting out the same teams as Cabrera with some minor tweaks and hope things will suddenly go his way.

Realistically it probably doesn't matter because I just don't see this team giving Arnaud the job long-term. He's a placeholder/sacrificial lamb like Barrett.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  10. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    @Westside Cosmo
    I think Davy is just another card Jordan is playing to keep his job. He will throw him under the bus at the end of the season.

Westside Cosmo and *rey* repped this.
  11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree this looks like the deal.

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #37 juvechelsea, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    my assumption, based on how arnaud initially talked and then ran out the team, is he and jordan had a talk day 1 and jordan convinced him we shouldn't change how we play. that this is what we stand for. this is between the lines of their quotes from the firing.

maybe jordan doesn't have to worry about a job. but committing to anything like what got the last coach fired is career suicide. our string of Ls will end your MLS career at its first stop. you will be radioactive, even if you're following orders. if it's you versus a coach that won anywhere else you will lose.

thing is he had max power at the point of promotion. "you need a coach, here are my terms." otherwise quit and join the boss and live to coach another day. no resume stain.

on barrett, his glitch was once he stabilized the team and got some 1s, he was so conservative he wouldn't play to win, even the last minutes. a bunch of 101010101 binary code is not getting you hired full time much more than straight 0000000000s like arnaud. which is why barrett coaches kids now.

that said, i still respect barrett more than arnaud because he put a plan into action and executed it somewhat. it's just we don't want to watch endless ties, we deserved some risk.

i wouldn't be surprised if they are jordan's fall guy but the game there is you have to man up and talk like a head coach to the media, and toss the GM under the bus first. if arnaud said to the media that when he talked with jordan, he suggested changes, and was ordered to see the season out playing in an ineffective fashion, wouldn't that boomerang back on jordan?

but you have to have the nuts to make your play. we have meek time servers who kiss up.

what is jordan going to do if you run out the team in a smarter formation with better chosen players? fire you on the spot? and tell the media what? "he's coaching the team like he wants?" a few wins would at least keep your career going. if you are fired for trying to play your style then none of this will count against you.

13. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    So then why was Mario on the bench then?

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case of injury. Team short on strikers.