Sporting Kansas City in the Media

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by hipityhop, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Dempsey or Martings for Seattle in the CCL. FWIW

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No Besler or Feilhaber for us this weekend. It looked like Feilhaber spent the last ten minutes trying to get a cheap yellow card for dissent.

Actually, not a bad play. Burn the suspension in a game you were likely to sit out (or at least not start) anyway.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blando13 repped this.
  4. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    lawsuit against Ivy Funds:

Saket Kapor; Peter Brockett; Hieu Phan

v.

Ivy Investment Management Company; Waddell & Reed Investment Management Company; Henry J. Herrmann; Michael L. Avery; Joseph Harroz Jr.; Joseph W. Kauten; Jarold W. Boettcher; James D. Gressett; Glendon E. Johnson Jr.; Eleanor B. Schwartz; Michael G. Smith; Edward M. Tighe; David P. Gardner; James M. Concannon; John A. Dillingham; Robert L. Hechler; Albert W. Herman; Frank J. Ross Jr.

2/18/2016 2:16 cv 2106 James

(Kansas City) Shareholder derivative action for bad faith. Defendant trustees of the Ivy Investment and Waddell & Reed funds, approved purchases by one portfolio manager of the funds of $925 million of private securities in a potentially criminal company in violation of terms of the prospectuses for the funds.

5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like they say in this business, it's not if you get sued, it's when.

6. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Its alleged that the defendants sank about 1B in large cap securities in a boxing promotional startup.

7. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If only our press would ask the politicians these kinds of tough questions and not let them off the hook without an actual answer...

KCFutbol repped this.
  11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wish he would've said something like, "when the circumstances are exactly the same, then yes, they should absolutely get equal (maybe even more in some instances) to what the men get." that answers her question and avoids making him look like he's protecting a boys' club or a selfish interest. most of the media out there don't know (and frankly, don't bother to want to know) the differences in the circumstances. they just hear that women are getting paid less for "doing the same work," and if the male players don't agree with everything the women are complaining about, then it looks like those players are being sexist.

he did not come out of that interview in a favorable light at all, at least not from my eyes.

12. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    From a legal standpoint, there is a simple fix. All the players, male or female, make the same base salary, and same bonuses for wins. In addition, each team will get to share in revenues under the same formula. Some years the men's team will earn more if they bring in more revenue, and some years the women will earn more, like the last couple of years. As long as the formula is the same and therefore each player, male or female, has the same opportunity, you don't have a discrimination issue. The Federation will end up paying a big settlement to settle the past unequal pay problem. I wish someone had coached Zusi and the rest of the US men, on how to respond better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZooCougar repped this.
  13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not as if he shouldn't have anticipated the questions asked. He didn't come off as totally sincere.

14. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #1364 vividox, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    This issue is about way more than gender equality, it's also about the entertainment business and supply and demand. In years that the USWNT doesn't win the Women's World Cup, they make a fraction of what the men's team makes. Where does the money come from to pay them an equal wage? You'd basically have to subsidize the men's game to do it.

That being said, women's wages AREN'T currently reflecting the amount of money they are bringing in. Especially last year when they won the World Cup. If wages were based solely on performance, the women would have made more than the men last year. I am all for performance / revenue-based equality, and in that sense, the women are getting totally shafted.

But this is way more complicated than simple gender equality, and it isn't fair to make it solely about gender equality.

15. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really a tough interview. The questions were exactly what should have been expected and anticipated. He should have known that he couldn't dance around a question like that. But it was obvious Zusi hadn't thought through the implications when he said they deserved more money and not equal money in his first response.

Yup. The double x chromosome team has been kicking ass for years and while they get a lot of coverage and accolades, the money has not matched their achievement.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Enough about the U.S. Rugby 7s.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't want to start a new thread, but Dwyer has had off-season surgery.

18. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Players wore new kits at the commercial shoot last night at the stadium. No cameras were allowed but jersey was our standard light blue with a white collar and two white stripes on the shoulders, new Ivy Funds lettering. Nice but nothing earthshaking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My friends who were there were pretty unenthused about the jerseys. Did they get even plainer? Because that would be very disappointing. I miss the 2013 home kits.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me all our primaries since the rebranding have been kind of meh. Not bad just not great. The secondaries and thirds have been my favorite each time.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is actually quite interesting:
    Especially this Vermes quote on ZusiRB
    “He’s in our plans,” Vermes said of Zusi’s future position with Sporting KC. “That’s why he’s here. We’ll figure out over the course of the season where his skills will lend themselves best for our team.”

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wasn't able to care enough to watch the Super Bowl... wasn't there supposed to be an SKC ad with a primary kit reveal? Or did I make that entirely up?

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No commercial this year for the Super Bowl. Commercial and new jersey (in commercial, not in person) will debut at the Q&A at NOP Thursday.

24. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Okay. An underwhelming release for, what I hear, is a relatively underwhelming jersey. Man, do I miss those 13/14 primaries.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The primary has always been underwhelming to the secondaries in my opinion. The state line was the best and it wasn't that great