Sporting Kansas City hires BBC announcer, Callum Williams to do play-by-play and weekly show

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Felixx219, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Tom845

Tom845 Member

Jan 25, 2011
    New Windsor, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the Red Bulls would do something like this - not necessarily a Brit, but someone. I always feel a little dumber after listening to Shep Messing. :D

3. PoorService

PoorService New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    up north they just announced the broadcast team for the national TV games for TFC & Vancouver and the play by play guy is also an ex BBC'r (although he's been working in Canada for the past 3 years for TFC regional games)

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    OK, maybe I'm blind. Probably. But where's the stuff about a weekly show?

5. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Because Shep is ********ing terrible.

6. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Here's the announcement from TSN. What I found interesting is that TSN are also going to show 25 more MLS games this year in addition to the 24 games featuring the Whitecaps and TFC.

7. PoorService

PoorService New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    yep but those are going to be simulcasts of the ESPN game of the week (which is fine by me).

If TSN will also step up and do some pre-game stuff and maybe produce a weekly recap show it'll be a very nice start. You certainly have to admit that they have the most influence here and have the best HD technology.

8. savier

savier Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    we (portland) just announced robbie earle as one of our announcers.

heard he will not be given any free tickets :D

9. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    2 people repped this.
  10. PoorService

PoorService New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    neg-repped :rolleyes:

11. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shep Messing kinda sounds like that announcer from Celebrity Deathmatch

12. Prune

Prune New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Good hire SKC. I really like him as a pbp guy

13. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And you heard him where?

14. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Isn't this the 21-year-old with no real PBP experience that Kenn was complaining about last week?

<checks>

Yup.

1 person likes this.
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No such luck in Los Angeles. We're stuck with another year of Jim Watson doing the worst play by play imaginable.

And if that wasn't enough, we get Mark Rogodino as our analyst.

Should help attendance, as more people go to the game to avoid listening to their pbp.

ETA : I don't expect Callum Williams to be any good. a 21 year old being handed the job in this way is pretty crazy. Kenn is right to blog about it the way he does.

I think he'll still be way better then Jim Watson, however.

16. Prune

Prune New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    He filled in on the Sheffield Wednesday broadcast last fall when we played against Brentford or was it Plymouth.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not seeing what exactly this guy brings to the table, except for an English accent.

Similarly, I personally I don't see that Adrian Healey is superior to JP Dellacamera. They're both competent play-by-play men, though not spectacular. However, while Dellacamera has been doing soccer play-by-play for longer than Healey, he lacks that accent, so...

And this is not a case of my wanting American announcers only. I'd love it if Ian Darke were a regular play-by-play man for MLS matches, since he's good. But their accents don't keep Steve McManaman and Efan Ekoku from being blithering idiots, Martin Tyler from being in that Pat Summerall "didn't you used to be good" zone for play-by-play, or Adrian Healey from being unspectacular.

This just strikes me as a case of folks in this country thinking more highly of anything said with a English accent.

18. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Have you heard the guy work? Kind of ridiculous to assume that he was hired simply because of his accent. Why not hear how he calls the game before passing judgment?

I am not saying he will be great but considering we had our Public Relations guy last season who was not very good, I think this will be a huge upgrade.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong. I watched a few Wizards broadcasts last year and it's not like that guy doing the games was exactly irreplaceable. But two things comes to mind:

1. We've got plenty of people who are reasonably competent at play-by-play in this country who are available. I'm not sure where the need exists to import one from the UK.

2. That being said, I'd understand importing a play-by-play man from across the Atlantic if it were one of the big names -- Ian Darke, for example, if he weren't already otherwise committed. But as Kenn points out, SporKC is importing a 21-year-old kid who might be a soccer play-by-play prodigy, but if he is, it seems to have escaped the notice of the broadcasters in his own country.

20. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And "reasonably competent" hasn't done a thing to improve ratings.

1 person likes this.
  21. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ya, Luke Wileman, former radio voice (at different times) of Sheffield United and Leeds United.

He followed his heart to Canada to marry a Canadian girl but as he didn't have a work permit, he interned at a Toronto sports radio station to keep his chops up.

Eventually he joined TFC and then started calling TFC matches for Gol TV.

... and now he is the voice of soccer on TSN. It's a great story of somebody working their way up with tenacity and talent.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your latest mistake is to think that it makes a difference.

23. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice, I thought you were in Canada -- I didn't the Beeb broadcast domestic football overseas.

24. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And your latest mistake is you know next to nothing about television and why changes are made.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but you're going to have to show your work here.