Sporting CP Head Coach

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Oct 31, 2018.

1. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    #26 SCP21, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Read the above post.

So sign someone who is a future has-been and tie him to an expensive long term contract?

I think itll be Van der Gaag. He has lots of ties to Portugal. Not a great manager but better than Slutsky for sure.

2. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not understanding the hate towards Slutsky and love with Van Der Gaag. Think Slutsky is more experienced.

3. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Peseiro is plenty experienced. Still sucks.

I ddont think theres any love or hate towards either, both are pretty underwhelming. Van der gaags resume just looks better to me imo. Either way, Slutskys agent confirmed its not him.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Just because both those coaches currently coach in the Netherlands doesn't mean anything. Varandas could have simply met the coach in Amsterdam.

5. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    #30 fdasilva, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Record and A Bola both certain that Marcel Keizer will be our next coach. The 49 year old Dutch coach is currently with Al Jazira and has coached Ajax in the past.

He's known to play positive attacking football but I'm not sure what his track record is. He seems to like playing academy products but its well known we don't have any big stars in the making (although surprises do happen). Apparently he left Ajax not because of results but because of divergences with the board.

If true, this is a risky move for Varandas. It's his first major decision as president and if it fails it could condition his term. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting Franky Vercauteren vibes circa 2012 all over again. It seems this choice is more for a long-term project of rebuilding our roots, which is our academy and using it, similar to Ajax.

6. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Didnt Varandas say the coach was currently managing in the netherlands though?

Eitherway, interesring choice. Looks like Ajax is the only real club hes managed and he stayed there less than a year. Hed have to take a major pay cut to join us too, we cant afford that oil money.

If Varandas long term plan is to play youth, hes got to but some major work in to the academy. Pretty much all of our academy players are ending up in the 2nd div right now.

7. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I was thinking about Vercauteren too. Signing a coach with no proven track of success is total BS. I bet you SCP won't end the season with him as a coach.

8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Here's another coincidence: when Vercauteren was signed he also came from Al Jazira (where Keizer currently is).

trebaruna repped this.
  9. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if it's actually Vercauteren again? Lol.

10. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Let's hope "A Bola" has it wrong, because that Dutch coach sounds no better than Vercauteren or Mihailovic. I had never heard of him before today so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but if he were to enjoy any success with Sporting, I'd be very surprised.

11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It's clear it's a coaching choice for a long-term project rather than a short term. Varandas wants the academy to be rejuvenated as the academy is the club's staple, and I guess he feels that Keizer, having had a big hand in Ajax's academy, could be the man for his project. He was fired not because of results but because of divergences with the board.

It's definitely a huge risk, he's never won a title before. At least with Peseiro, Varandas had a scapegoat because it wasn't his coach. With Keizer, a complete unknown, it'll either go really well (I've read he plays attacking, positive football and is a demanding coach on the players, against most teams where we are favourites it could work) or really badly and another election might come sooner than we think.

I doubt we will have any official presentation before Thursday's game vs. Arsenal.

12. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    Rumor out of Holland is Keizer's current team is blocking his move to SCP ....

We will see I guess

13. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yeah, they say that... but he did get knocked out of the Champs League play offs and then he got knocked out of the Europa League play offs by... Rosenborg...

14. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It was a tough time. If you remember they had a young player (Nouri) who had a heart attack and was in a coma, the players apparently were dejected. Also they didn't have the quality they have now.

Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Al Jazira won 2-0 today with Keizer still in command.

16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Keizer confirmed he received a verbal invitation from SCP, but no formal offer has been made yet.

17. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I can't see this guy being a long term solution for SCP. I really hope Jardim comes next season, but I read this morning that Real Madrid might have some interest in him.

18. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Would be a massive step back for Jardim.

Funny how Varandas lied already. He said everything was sorted out and just needed to work it out with the club. Srill hoping its not this guy too.

19. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Also this solidarity from managers saying that Peseiro was doing an excellent job is hilarious. Lost to a 2nd div team son. He lasted four months here. Where was the solidarity when he was fired from porto after four months?

heavy1981 repped this.
  20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yeah the funniest was Villas Boas. Where's he been the last 2 years?

21. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Can't stand Villas Boas. He's always come across as a little ******** who lucked out by getting the best ever squad in the history of this league. Embarrassingly shit the bed at every club he's been at since.

22. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Reports say Keizer rescinded today with his club Al Jazira, and on his way to Lisbon to sign with us. Reportedly a 2 year deal + 1 year optional. We pay 500K to Al Jazira to rescind his contract. Could be presented on Friday.

natenate101 repped this.
  23. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  24. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    OFFICIAL: Sporting CP confirm the hiring of Marcel Keizer as Head Coach on a 2.5 year deal. The coach's contract begins Monday, November 12th, so Tiago Fernandes will still coach the team on Sunday at home vs. Chaves.

---

A Sporting SAD informou o mercado sobre o novo treinador para a sua equipa de futebol sénior masculina.

A SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL – FUTEBOL, SAD (“Sporting SAD” ou “Sociedade”), vem, nos termos e para efeitos do cumprimento da obrigação de informação que decorre do disposto no artigo 248º-A do Código dos Valores Mobiliários, informar que chegou a acordo com Marcel Keizer para a celebração de um contrato de trabalho desportivo como treinador da sua equipa principal sénior de futebol, válido de 12 de Novembro de 2018 até ao dia 30 de Junho de 2021.

Lisboa, 8 de Novembro de 2018
    O Representante das Relações com o Mercado

https://www.sporting.pt/pt/noticias...al/2018-11-08/informacao-sobre-novo-treinador

25. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    The miracle didn't happen, the Dutch has indeed been appointed as head coach. Time will tell but I can't see this move being successful