Spokane/Eastern Washington Supporters

Discussion in 'Emerald City Supporters' started by Mateofelipe, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, us from North Idaho will be unable to attend at Waddell's on Sunday. I personally will be busy up until about 12:30, so I will be DVR'ing the game and starting it at about 1 p.m.

I would love to be up at Waddell's watching the game, though. I've been there before and it's a cool place. After the Sounders advance, we'll have to hook up for the conference final... and then I'll be in Seattle for the cup...(wishful thinking that the Sounders will be there too).

Someday we'll unite forces and takeover a bar!

2. coys26

coys26 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey all. Even though you might not be ECS per se I would encourage you all to register on weareecs.com and look for 509 Prime on there!

The sad thing is, to the person who wanted a carpool, I went back for the game and would have loved someone to go with...but I never check these boards :(

Basically, you might not be a member of ECS, and that's cool, but so far it's the best place to actually get in contact with us all in Spokane, and especially a good place to post if you're looking for carpools :) So yea. I wish I checked these boards more often, no one posts in this thread in like a month so I ignore it and what do you know, a flurry of activity. But I'm always on the 509 Prime board on the ECS board. Along with a bunch of the other guys who are part of our Waddell's group. Or look us up on Facebook...we have a group on there.

Although the North Idahoans (love that word) won't be able to make it to Waddell's on Sunday, the Cheney guy should!

3. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's too bad. Oh well. :)

By the way, if you're planning to go next Thursday (after we beat the Dynamo and Chivas knocks off the Galaxy), let me know. :D I will also check that ECS board if that scenario does in fact play itself out.

There's a 50-50 chance I will have to work Sunday during the game, but if I don't I am definitely going to make the trip up to Waddell's.

4. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be there Sunday.

5. coys26

coys26 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome, you'll have to find me and introduce yourself. I think I'll be with the guy selling t-shirts. (You should also buy a 509 Prime t-shirt, lol. $7)

6. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. I'll be wearing a long-sleeve white Sounders t-shirt.

7. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I was able to be at Waddell's today...

But this is one more reason the Sounders have to advance today... so the North Idahoans can come to Waddell's for the Conference Final!

8. coys26

coys26 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post :p

9. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously the result wasn't what we wanted, but it was awesome to be surrounded by other Sounders fans today. Great atmosphere.

10. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to all who came out! It sounds like it went well! :)

11. Couverite

Couverite Guest

Hello all:
    This usual would go to the ticket exchange but I don't want to exchange tickets, I want to GIVE away my ticket to the final.

While it would be nice to have a weekend trip to Seattle, my school is actually keeping me busy and broke enough that I just can't do it.

So, do any of the dry siders need a ticket?

Send me a PM!

12. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Waddell's Truly Soccer Friendly?

I've been frequenting Waddell's more often since I found out that they were soccer friendly and that the ECS were watching games there. I love the place and the food is great but despite the nice soccer display in the corner I had an experience there that makes me question how soccer friendly they really are. Let me relate:

Last December a few friends and I went there for beers after a Cougar basketball game at the Arena downtown. We were talking soccer and Sounders and the bartenders, a younger college age guy and a middlish aged woman who used to work at Red Robin in the Valley, over heard us. They immediately asked us if we were with the group that came in to watch the Sounders regularely. We said that we had not... yet... but that we watch the games at a bowling alley bar in Post Falls. We said that we were looking forward to next season to come in and join the group.

Well they immediately started complaining how they hated working on Sounders game days because they had to deal with obnoxious, demanding, cheapskate Sounders fan group members who wanted to take over the whole bar, even when they had others in the place who couldn't care less about soccer or the Sounders. And after all that, they don't tip much at all.

Honestly, they didn't say one good thing about them. We tried to explain to them how passionate soccer fans are in general and sometimes get a little riled up, especially after a few libations. We talked with them for a good twenty minutes about it with them and in the end they said that they will obviously continue to serve them, but that they have complained to the owner(s) and they were going to keep an eye on them.

We told them that we would be there next season hopefully and of course they said they would welcome us and the group.

Maybe some of you already know about this or have spoken with someone about it. If not, maybe someone who has good repoir with the owners/bartenders should intervene before next season to ensure we don't lose a soccer friendly bar!!!

13. stevezie1984

stevezie1984 New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These complaints have been heard. Most of the group are Waddell's regulars and we do have great communication with one of the owners. Obviously, some of the group doesn't treat the pub with the respect they deserve, but at the same point the Sounders crowd had to have brought some great business for the pub. The pub sponsors our indoor soccer team, and offers drink specials to the Sounders fans. I routinely over tip at the pub and encourage everyone who attends the pub to do the same to make sure we get to continue to enjoy what the pub offers.

That college age bartender (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is not soccer friendly and tends to treat anyone asking about soccer poorly.

14. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from the obvious foot-in-mouth commenting (why would they continue to rant AFTER you said you wanted to come watch soccer there) why would anyone treat any customer differently in a service industry job? That bartender should do himself a favor and quit if they don't get that their livelihood is based on tips.

15. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny thing is, he started trashing soccer and saying how he can't understand why people would want to watch it on TV because it is so boring and slow. So we were explaining why we enjoy it and we started talking about other sports like baseball and he started trashing baseball as well, to the chagrin of some of the other patrons at the bar.

Then they turned the game over to the Gonzaga game and I, not being a Zag fan(understatement), started making some snarky comments about the Zags. He immediately chimed in and started trashing Gonzaga. So, honestly, I think he pretty much trashes everything when given the opportunity. That's his MO.

At the end, though, he started name dropping all of these guys who used to play for the Shadow and some other guys who currently play for the Spiders like he thought we would think he was cool. Very odd...

16. stevezie1984

stevezie1984 New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. stevezie1984

stevezie1984 New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off Matt/Matteo are you still around? Havn't seen you in forever.

Now to the good stuff. We had a meeting with Waddell's ownership. They are excited to host us again next year and show all the Sounders games they can. They are considering adding another TV for us to limit conflicts over who gets what sport on in the pub. We showed him Band's post and he was visibly upset with his staff. He said it was unacceptable and that he would take care of it.

So it's official that Waddell's is the headquarters of the SSFC in Spokane, and Spokane's headquarters for the World Cup this summer.

Any questions feel free to ask, if you want to help promote 509 Prime visit the ECS website, or pm me here.

18. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is great news! Nice work, Stevezie. Us North Idahoans will be joining you on some of the gamedays...

19. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the stars have aligned. The CBA is signed, relations are good at Waddell's and the time for our second MLS season starts Thursday!

Is everything set for the game? How many do you think will be at Waddell's on Thursday night? Our group in Post Falls will only be a few, as several are out of town. If it continues to dwindle, I may join you guys.

20. stevezie1984

stevezie1984 New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping for around ten. I know quite a few of the regulars are going to the opener. There could be more and there could be less. It's up in the air at this point. We'd love to have you Band. Your first beer is on me when you show up. I'm the guy with the beard.

21. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shameless blog pimping of my entry on the Spokane Spiders. Lets get some support together for these guys and their sister arachnids, the Black Widows.

22. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spokane Spiders vs. Kitsap Pumas at the Joe Saturday night, May 8th at 7 p.m. 1st league game of the season.

I am definitely going to try to be there with a few of my old Shadow "Ultra" buddies, but I still am not positive.

At least we can drink beer at Albi again... WOO HOO, although they did have cheap beer at the Greyhound Park.

It used to be a ball going out to Joe Albi on warm summer afternoons or evenings, tipping a few back and cheering on the Shadow, then heading to Stadium Pizza after the game...

Good times and good memories.

23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Spiders are playing at Albi this season? Good news to get the team closer to the city instead of out at the Greyhound park... Has the city done any upgrades, or is it still a POS?

24. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Albi has been upgraded over the last 5 years or so. The bathrooms have been upgraded a bit, the concessions and grassy area in the south is pretty new and pretty nice.

It actually is quite comfortable and nice for what is used there. When the Shadow would get big crowds (2,000 to 3,500) it felt pretty good and everyone seemed to have a good time. They only allow seating on the West side, which is kind of a bummer.

The problem is the turf. They replaced the old concrete astro turf with Field Turf three years ago (part of the fiasco/reason why the Shadow are now defunct) and though this is a vast upgrade from the old turf, I don't think they will remove the throwball lines for the Spiders like they did for the Shadow. I could be wrong and I hope I am, but it will be like watching a New England game in September which SUCKS.

If we can ever get the MLS Sounders over for a friendly like we used to with the A-League Sounders, you can come check it out. It would be a great time!

25. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to Spiders game last night at Albi. Spiders played well for 70 minutes and actually had more scoring opportunities in the first half. But they ran out of gas and gave up a goal off a corner. Two more late goals by Pumas made it seem worse than it really was.

Spiders goalie made a nice save on a penalty kick with about ten minutes to go which energized the crowd of about 500 or so and the team. I thought we might get an equalizer as Spokane through everyone forward. But they got burned a couple of minutes late on the counter attack. A nicely worked third goal with about a minute to go demoralized the team.

Was a good time though and besides about ten minutes of some wind and rain the weather wasn't too bad. A bit chilly but fine. There may have been more at the game had it been warm and sunny and not dark, threatening clouds.

Kistsap had a handful of fans there who brought a little Tifo to the procedings.

All in all a good time and I will be returning...