SPFL Thread 2014/15

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Jul 1, 2014.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thought I'd open a thread for general comments regarding the SPFL.

I'll kick it off with a story from The Sun (I know, I know) stating that Sporting Lisbon have made an offer of £3m for Dundee Utd's Ryan Gauld.

I'm torn with this one. Kind of hope he could have stayed in the league for 1 more season but, if he moves to Portugal and gets regular games than I'm sure both he and the Scotland national team will benefit in the long run.

On another note Fulham have apparently offered Leeds Utd £10m for Ross McCormack! :eek:

2. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Wait wait 10mill? Really? Why?

Hibs certainly have their work cut out. I think it'll be a couple years before they get promoted, and I still don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

4. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I know. Anytime I see any highlights of the Championship I always think McCormack looks pretty decent but nowhere near £10m decent. He struggles to get a regular game for Scotland and we can't afford to keep proper £10m ability players out of our strongest 11.

The main consensus of opinion is the Championship in Scotland is going to be a whole lot of fun this year and will be far more entertaining than the Premiership. Hard to argue against really.

5. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I reallllllly hope to get to Scotland at some point this season.

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Ryan Gauld is now officially a Sporting Lisbon player.

Cost of £3m for Sporting being mentioned. 6yr deal.

Good luck to the lad. Hope he can excel in a foreign environment. Can only be good for the national team going forward if he does.

7. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  8. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
  9. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm not betting on it...

10. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I still can't believe that one of the worst ever Morton sides managed to beat Celtic last year. Five of those involved that day didn't last the season at Morton, and only 5 are still at the club (2 of those were the unused subs).

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Me either.

I have a great deal of admiration for the way Neil Lennon conducted himself during his time as Celtic manager but the performance of his teams in cup competitions leaves a lot to be desired.

12. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Dundee Utd have signed 26yr old Polish CB Jaroslaw Fojut.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28298738

Be interesting to see if Jackie can push on with them this season and challenge for 2nd spot. Last season they could play some sparkling football on any given day but struggled with consistency and hit a bad patch where they really struggled to pick up results for a while.

13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    One of my old friends is the manager of Selkirk, who've just announced they signed Garry O'Connor. Who'd have thought 10 years ago that he'd be playing in the Lowland League?

14. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Still got a good touch, but can't run anymore (he might not need to at that level though).

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Is it simply a fitness issue, or is it injury related? I'm not sure of the years each was there, but my friend played for Hibs youth, so they likely knew each other going back a long ways. I met Garry at least once, but those days I was always so wasted I'd have a hard time telling you where or what was going on. As I recall, he held it together better than Riordan, but it wasn't because he was partying less.

16. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    He was very much overweight in his time with us. There was also some injury-related issues, but more than anything else he was simply unfit. I thought he did ok in his first few games, not involved all that much but would make a handful of important contributions (and had a couple of goals disallowed for offside - he had a problem staying onside). When Rowan Vine was brought into the team, one of the laziest players I've ever seen, he really started to struggle. I think the thing was that he needed everyone else to do his running for him, and when that didn't happen he couldn't get near the ball. He picked up an injury soon after that and didn't really get back into the team.

Our chairman had a real go at him in the paper, which I thought was a bit unfair -http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...nor-hopeless-and-unfit-morton-chief-1-3363802

YankHibee repped this.
  17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, first weekend is in the books and some notable things (IMO):

Any thoughts (and I am sure there were not many) at Ibrox that this league was gonna be as easy as League 1 and there would be another undefeated league season have been put to rest with Hearts winning 1-2 at Ibrox.

Aberdeen's resurgance as a club took a bit of a gubbing as they lost heavily at home to their old "new firm" rivals DUFC...in front of a large crowd at Pittodrie.

Much talk in the pre-season about how the crowds would be bigger in the Championship than the Premiership this season....week one voted "yes".....albeit a weekend with Rangers at home and Celtic idle, it produced average gates in the Prem of 6,718 and in the Championship of 11,485 clearly skewed by the Ibrox crowed but there was a decent gate at Easter Road as well. The median in the two divisions was 4,620 and 1,642 respectively.

frasermc repped this.
  18. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Very interested to see if Jackie McNamara can continue the resurgence in Dundee Utd that he was on the way to last season, especially with players such as Gauld, Robertson and Gunning leaving this summer. They did flounder for a while midway through. I wonder if they can achieve just that little bit more consistency this season whilst still playing good football.

19. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    bit of an FYI for tv coverage in Canada.

Last season SNWL showed some premiership games live and when they were not live on tv there were many that were live online to subscribers. If you were a Rangers supporter, you could pick up the odd match here and there on GOLTV Canada.

This season there seems to be a consolidation of that with SNWL and yesterday they should the Rangers match on TV on a tape delayed basis (I presume it was live online).....next weekend's Edinburgh Derby (the first in the 2nd tier in I don't know how long) is being shown live online to SNWL subscribers.

20. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For long time followers of the SPFL, how surprising is it that Queens is hanging with the 3 "SPL quality" teams in the Championship? I figured going into the season that those 3 would run away from the other 7 teams but Hearts is the only team really running away, though Rangers are starting to stretch out. Meanwhile Hibs is actually behind Queens and only 4 points clear of Raith.

22. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Both the premiership and championship levels in the SPFL are closer than I would have expected at this point in the season. It is good news.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this answers my question somewhat.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30194952

frasermc repped this.
  24. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland