Spector Wonderland - The West Ham Revelation

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sam Hamwich, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    it all comes down to michael bradley and the us national team even in unrelated threads in unrelated forums.

the man is clearly showing an aptitude for putting the ball in the back of the net. hopefully grant gives him some sort attacking brief perhaps in 451.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Another good goal from Spector. Hope there is a league goal coming eventually. Any news on German interest or is it more likely for Spector to see his contract run out in May and then perhaps leave? I honestly can't see WH offering him a new contract unless he continues to play better and better and better.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    last word was specs wanted to stay. so hopefully as i mentioned he gets an attacking role in league play; it's not as though the hammers have been the barcelona of brittania.

4. AngryMobRun

AngryMobRun Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston/Dallas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    keep it up Johnny!

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The bad news is that Spector has played 5 of 22 league matches, and only 3 as a central midfielder. He's still largely irrelevant for West Ham.

The good news is that the first leg of the Carling Cup semi-final against Birmingham is on Tuesday, which is perhaps another opportunity for Spector.

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I know whenever a Yank becomes available the first place we all think of is Everton. But pienaar is leaving, arteta's half-life has expired, the Fro guys is always hurt, and their aussie is getting up there in years.

I would think that Everton could use a utility man who has a nose for goal, can defend and can add weight to the midfield.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't he a converted forward? How many forwards converted to defense have moved back to forward and succeeded?

8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Next week we will be reading, "Spector makes spectacular saves in place of injured Green".

9. tom12

tom12 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    BR, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think this could be a pretty good idea considering that Everton have literally no money to spend and Spector has only 6 months left on his contract. He would definitely be a good utility guy for them they could use some depth all across the back line as well as in central midfield where they often play with 3.

10. Yanks Abroad

Yanks Abroad Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Yes, he was a forward in his youth.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    the attacking 'glimpses' we have seen: are they just that, these inconsistent moments he can strewn across 3 matches or can he not only continue to attack with efficiency and help keep a clean sheet.

The problem I think most managers will have is basically handing the attack over to Spector at the central mid position. It would be a mistake to consider him a holding mid or even a dmid, his sense of defending and positioning, especially for a former defender is not great.

I would certainly take a chance on him. If he can notch 6 goals in say 10 appearances, well worth the cash.

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Spector starts again in the Carling Cup today, his position is completely up in the air due to Avram Grant's confusing lineup selection.

13. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector's career arc to date is one you are not likely to see repeated for a while. Its like a bad movie thriller where twists come out of nowhere and make no sense.

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector continues to be West Hams cup warrior, 2 assists and great presence in the middle of the park again today. It boggles the mind how Kovac is still starting ahead of him.

15. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector was great today, got the assist on both goals, made some excellent defensive plays and after WH went down to 10 men because of Obinna's stupidity, he was shifted out wide to the right, which is where he made the match winning assist from.

Truly amazing turnaround for this guy. He is clearly the player of the tournament, so strange.

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Well said. Why can't he seem to muster this kind of game during the actual season?

Grant will go to him this next prem match as a starter but will he show well or wallflower it like last time?

so strange.

17. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think Spector will get more starts in the PL now that Grant has decided to go with three CM's and one striker up top. I like the Noble-Parker-Spector threesome, works well i think. Cant believe hes gone from being an out of favor career defender to a pretty effective #10 in no time.

18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Spector as a CAM?!

19. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. A different CAM. He's less flashy than say a Diskerud but he has a little more brawn.

20. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy Spector is playing well, but we don't need any more CMs. I wonder if he can play in the back?

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Spector is an enigma. I'm still curious what caused him to play utterly horrible for nearly all 2010 and losing out his place in the WC only to somehow regain a starting role 2months ago. Did he find a new gf or something?

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I still hold that Spector should leave but WH now have a great chance of making the final and perhaps he could start. Very tantalizing option I guess, plus maybe he wants to regain his role for the club and not leave a flop. Though I would love to see him playing in Germany.

23. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now can we start talking about him as a possible RM since he played there for West Ham? ;)

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He injured his hip and hasn't had the same lateral movement since he came back.

It's not unusual for defenders to also be good mids. Marquez comes to mind. Gianluca Zambrotta in the '06 WC.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    You ever heard of this Freddy Adu guy?