Spector Wonderland - The West Ham Revelation

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sam Hamwich, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is hard to say Spector was the more offensive CM against Man City. When paired with Parker (who leads WHU in goals) it is VERY hard to say Spector is the more offensive minded CM.

Yes, he does get forward some, and he and Parker switched well, but Parker is the more polished offensive player. The two goals the other night are getting people off on the wrong track. As Spector himself said after the ManU game, his partner for that game was the only CM on the roster more defensive minded than he is. Most of the time, Spector will be the more defensive minded CM out there for WHU (or at best, one of two two-way CM's).

He was in no way an attacking mid in any sense of the word this week-end (without this degenerating into that sort of discussion). Nor the more attack-minded of the CM pair, by his own admission, even.

He projects a three-lung type CM/DM who works his butt off, is good positionally, and can make some runs into the box.

Agree completely that WHU was outmanned and overmatched in CM vs. City.

2. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sounds like three guys (holden, bradley, jones) that are ahead of him in the usa depth chart at center mid. still kinda funny to think of spector as a center mid but he's done well so far, make bald bob's decisions harder.

3. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham and West Ham are currently battling on two fronts. That being that Spurs are currently pursuing both Scott Parker and Stephen Sessegnon. Parker and Sessegnon of PSG are both rated in the 8-12 Million range. Avram Grant has been given somewhere around £10 million for this transfer window. Sess is Benin international being pursued by teams both in the premier league and out.

With Cole on his way out, Carew possibly on his way in and Parker who is probably going to try and force a transfer I'd say that there is a chance that West Ham will be without an attacking midfielder per se. Spector could have the opportunity to play the advanced role. But there is a lot of talk and I doubt much movement. Regardless, West Ham need to find the back of the net if they are going to avoid relegation.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    And just as quickly, the Hammers sign Steve Sidwell on loan.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Spector should head out if you ask me. I wonder if the German interest in him has grown or not. They were tracking him as a fullback and he's now shown good performances in the mid-field, should make him even more so attractive for some clubs.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if Sidwell does come in thats a good pickup for them, bad news for Spector but good news for the Hammers. With Sidwell coming in, i wonder if they sell Parker now? Theyll have Hitz coming back from injury too.

Im on the fence. I think hes finally finding his niche there despite the new arrival. Then again, Cologne look to bring in Jovanovic from Liverpool who is a damn good player who hasnt been given a chance up there thats surely going to get goals for them. Bring Spector into the midfield with Petit itd help alot.

Im still thinking stick it out with west ham right now though

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  8. jreadusaf

jreadusaf Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Tübingen, Germany
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Jonathan Spector and I want him to do well, but he's just an average utility player. Every now and then he'll give you a performance like he did at The Confederations Cup and against Man U, but he's there more as a back up than a starter.

9. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    West Ham have specifically stated in the past (I think around the time the new owners came in) that they won't be doing any business with Spurs because they are a local rival. Spurs always does a lot of talking, must of it is bs.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He's found his niche as a center-mid who probably works best paired with a more holding player. Hopefully he transfers into a situation that caters to this.

11. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree with this. I like the guy and wish him the best, but I find it hard to believe that he's BPL caliber. I'd even be surprised to see him make it in the Bundesliga. I think he would be a better fit in a lesser league like the Championship.

West Ham is the worst team I have seen this season in the BPL. They have maybe 2-3 guys who look like they could contribute to a top 8 team in the league. I don't know what their money situation is like, but they need a massive overhaul.

12. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector is a guy who can be a squad player for teams better than the current West Ham side, but at the same time he isn't even starting quality for the same crappy West Ham side. He's ok at four different positions, but great at none. Maybe he can continue to work on his newest role and be able to run with it. Defense seemed to have hit a dead end for him.

He's still only 24, so even if it takes another year, maybe he can reach a point where he can get more playing time somewhere as a CM.

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Spector should leave West Ham and go to a club where he can start consistently. I think Spector's play would be good for Germany or Italy. West Ham is a sinking ship, and with the acquisition of Sidwell, I dont see Spector starting anymore.

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im starting to agree as well. whats bad for west ham is good for spector. If West Ham go down, Hitz, Parker, and Sidwell are gone. the one thing that gets him playing time is if he waits it out the second half of the year and they are relegated. Then its likely he and Noble will be running the show in the middle of the park next season.

I really thought West Ham had enough umph to stay up initially, but i just dont see where the goals are coming from. I think they are down. As such, Spector will see much coveted playing time if he sticks around and whoever the next coach in succession sees the obvious success in the position change; theyll stick him there with Noble, and he wont have nearly the competition. Relegation is a vantage for Spector and in the likely event they go down, it is worthwhile for him to stick around. With the exodus, Spector will be signed on for cheap for sure i think.

and its nothing more than a hunch but i think they could go straight back up if the league below remains as weak as it does now.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He should jumpship and head to Cologne. They are after him to start immediately right? WH will be fighting relegation until the last match of the season and quite possibly if they stay up, there will be tons of players being pushed out. Why not avoid all that and leave on his terms with recent success in a new position?

16. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cologne stink and may well get relegated themselves. It isn't the most attractive move, even if his chances of starting would improve slightly, there is certainly guarantee that he would start from day one.

17. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cologne are battling relegation as well so might not be the best situation to jump into, so if he feels comfortable where he is ...

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good for him, that was the better move. Cologne are much more likely to go down in the BL than West Ham are to go down in the EPL for my money. West Ham at least show signs of functioning. Cologne, not so much

19. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    i Agree Avram Grant is a good coach and and it would only benefit Spector

20. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector does not dress for today's game against Wolves

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Spector scored again today. Anyone have highlights?

23. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    after watching both of these goals, I am kind of tempted to think of Spec's now as a forward.

He gives his man the return ball top of the box, then makes space, then he is very aware, stabs the reflection, controls and shoots in one motion. No one else was quick enough.

Second goal, Specs is making late run and takes two men with him opening up the center of the box for Pickone.

he seems very adept making runs from the middle of the pitch, he seems sophisticated in the attack and pretty clinical in hte box.

At this point, leave Baby Bradley where he is if you must and take Altiodre out for Specs and see what happens.