Spector Wonderland - The West Ham Revelation

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sam Hamwich, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harkes6

harkes6 Member

Apr 24, 2007
    san francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i get the feeling that he'd stay in or around london if he could. with the expected exodus at west ham, there will be room for him somewhere. he has been released and who knows what'll turn up. i think if all things were equal (wage, playing time, etc) he'd stay at west ham. hopefully that happens. he's a good player and, if nothing else, always works hard, which is more than you can say about a lot of the current squad.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kovac has left for FC Basel ... sorry for FC Basel ... so that opens up some room for Specs in the midfield should he be inclined to stay.

3. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Barring a dramatic volte-face Spector won't be at West Ham next season. A new contract couldn't be agreed so he's been released by the club.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good news. whats the middle looking like now? Nolan, Noble, Collison the primary breadwinners here? (Im assuming Parker is for sure leaving and Hitz most likely, but if the Hammers could keep a Nolan-Hitz midfield in the league below it would be fantastic for them)

5. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hitz has left the building.

6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think someone in Europe will take a chance on him before he comes back to mls. His performances at the latter end of the season really helped him out.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He's never played in MLS.

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think someone in Europe will take a chance on him before he comes back to the US and plays in the mls for the first time. His performances at the latter end of the season really helped him out.

I edited it to make it a correct statement.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    OK ... he does have a Euro passport, so unless MLS is willing to overpay him, he'll find a much better gig over there.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't see any possible way of Spector coming to MLS. He's still young and has PL experience and with a Euro passport, he's worth a look at many clubs, albeit small but still in the top leagues.

11. westhamerica

westhamerica Member

Apr 26, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just passing on some information regarding Specs and the MLS that was passed on in good faith.

Fat Sam is to sit down with him this week, according to some folks and David Gold's twitter account.

12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Fat Sam's a fan of the theater is he?

13. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont know if theres anything to it but:
    I'd imagine if that were true Leeds would be looking at him as a midfielder.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Leeds lost several players so far, didn't they?

And some are being tracked by the EPL/Ligue 1 clubs?

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Leeds want him to fulfil their American right back quota if they can't get Lichaj?

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    obviously if they get him as a midfielder all is well. They have been bleeding midfielders this offseason. If he does stay in the championship i want him to stay with the Hammers though.

17. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robert Snodgrass had been linked to a number of Premiership clubs, Leeds turned back a bid of 3.5m from Norwich, and another for 5m iirc, and have set the price tag at 8m. Two years left on his contract but papers said last week he might be close to a contract extension.

Leeds POTY Max Gradel has been linked to HSV/PSG/Fulham/WHU/others. but Grayson said he's received no offers and doesn't intend to sell him in spite of having a year left in his contract. One of the biggest signings this summer would be extending Max, who got his first Ivory Coast cap this summer and IMO is on the cusp of stardom.

Schmeichel sold to Leicester, Rachubka joins as #2 with one of David Stockdale (a local "lad" and Fulham chasing other keepers,) Iain Turner (Howards backup at Everton,) Lonergran (PNE,) or Jerzy Dudek (leaving Real Madrid to play games) coming in as the #1.

This is where it becomes more relevant to Spector.

Bradley Johnson has joined Paul Lambert's project at Norwich City.

Neil Kilkenny was able to get a few extra thousands pounds a week more then Leeds thought he was worth from Bristol City.

There are two spots in midfield, one will (allegedly) be filled by Jonathan Greening from Fulham, who supposedly is coming back to his Yorkshire roots on a 3 year deal.

Torsten Frings and Lee Bowyer were linked with moves but signed elsewhere.

Other midfielders Leeds are linked with are David Jones from Wolves and Alan Smith (who I highly doubt will dare to return to Leeds) and so I'd imagine Spector would be looked at as a midfielder who can provide cover at RB.

Leeds need to sign a LB (starter) and possibly a RB (cover) as well.

Not to get too of topic but I'd suspect Leeds will be on the phone with Aston Villa regarding Lichaj's availability. Lichaj has said he would come back to Leeds if he's not in the first team at Villa and Leeds have said they would love to have him back for the season.

Spector would make a lot of sense for Leeds to be interested in him:
    1) he's free - very important for Ken Bates, Leeds always focus on the free agent market.
    2) has a lot of experience - something Grayson said he is targeting this summer.
    3) can play multiple positions of need.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You forgot Becchio, who seems to be wanted by a few newly promoted EPL clubs (I know, he's a forward and all)

19. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put no stock in those rumors, Becchio just signed a contract extension through to 2014 in December, so the club won't sell him.

Not to mention he also has a young family and supposedly loves the City and feels at home there, so I'm not sure he would even be interested in uprooting his family to the likes of Swansea in the first place.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Sure hope Spector can snag a spot on a top division side. Has the interest from Germany dried up?

21. westhamerica

westhamerica Member

Apr 26, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can now confirm that Specs has turned down the option to stay and will be taking his talents elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he going to the Miami Heat?

;)

23. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did BBC have an hour long special?

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the English equivalent of South Beach?Brighton?

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Beach.