Spector to Hibernian

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Kool Herc, Aug 1, 2011.

1. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. Whitbread and Derby finished just outside the top 6.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #427 Suyuntuy, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Key word: playing.

Whitbread barely plays for Derby. Matter of fact, this year he must have played a total of 130 minutes, tops. Same reason why I didn't mention Gooch --Charlton ended in the upper-half too, but Gooch is not playing regularly for them, matter of fact he's not playing at all.

3. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong again. He played 670 minutes this year for them and was consistently starting for at least 5 games in a row earlier in the season. In fact he started 8 games this year and was subbed in to another.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    You got that wrong. This year (2015) he's only appeared in three games:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=35631

In one he came at the 78', in another he left injured after 27'. He's only played one full game.

5. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are talking about this year then yea. But I'm looking at this season. After all the games that were in 2014 count just as much as the games in 2015 to the table. I would say it would be an injustice to say that specs in the only yank that finished in the top half. Zak defiantly contributed to Derbys relative success. Just look at their managers comments about him early in the season.

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Derby's relative success? They were in the top 6 since September - They were also top and five points clear of third with 13 to play..... They finished 13 points back of Bournemouth.

Relative success are not the words I would choose.

7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Fwiw, I read that to mean Whitbread missed 85% of his team's season.

Placid Casual repped this.
  8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is that if I am Chicago, I am on the phone right now...

neems, deuteronomy and msilverstein47 repped this.
  10. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Action Photos

Birmingham City defensive handyman Jonathan Spector has transfer interest from multiple clubs back home in the United States, MLSsoccer.com has learned, but currently looks more likely to accept a sweetened extension offer to remain at St. Andrews.

A source close to the situation told MLSsoccer.com that the Brums are pushing hard to keep the American, who has yet to receive a stateside offer. The Birmingham outfit, fresh off a Championship season that ended in 10th place, have even sweetened their original extension proposal.

While the Illinois native has worked a variety of back line and midfield positions jumping directly from the Bradenton Academy to Manchester United in 2003, the last 15 matches of the recently-concluded Birmingham season came in central defense. The source indicated to MLSsoccer.com that the club are hoping to move forward with Spector as a permanent member of the stable at the heart of of defense.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...or-weighing-new-birmingham-city-deal-well-mls

deuteronomy, Hararea and tomásbernal repped this.
  11. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector isn't joining the wave of American coming to the MLS and signed a 2 year deal with Birmingham.

neems, ShortyMac, DeCoverley and 2 others repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    His mom is born & bred in Germany, his dad's family lives in the UK. Jon has a German passport. Guy is probably more at home in Europe than here.

Winoman repped this.
  13. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There goes Columbus' potential DP signing. Dammit.

:coffee:

USA All DAY repped this.
  14. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    "But if I sign with MLS they will take me out of the Yanks Abroad forum". Says Spector to his agent.

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you really hoping for Jon Spector as a DP? Though, it seems like he might have been the ideal type for this rumored "super-max DP"--$750,000 wage+transfer fee (would have been a free transfer).

16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I was joking.

17. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I totally forgot about him. Seems years ago since he was a regular for the Nats

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It was. His last real regular run (in competitive matches) was when he started all 5 games at the 2009 Confederations Cup. His last cap was in February 2012.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A lifetime ago. So close to having a shot at a WC chance. Why didnt he get the nod over Bornstein?

21. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector captained Birmingham in their friendly today.

Hararea, FC Tallavana, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    May be because Bradley had an idea that Bornstein will have a very good WC? Which he had of course. So tired of this Bornstein bashing bullshit.

deuteronomy, superdave and (TxT) repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He also had an idea he would have a good Gold Cup 2011 and which he did not.

I was not bashing him. Was just mentioning for a time it seemed like Spector would be a legit starter for the NT especially after his 09 performances.

24. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    He was pretty bad in the send-off series.

Was pretty close to starting a World Cup quarterfinal though. If the US had pulled off the Ghana Rof16 game, Dolo was due to be suspended due to yellow accumulation.

Hararea and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Spector appears to have gone 90 at CB in a 3-2 pre-season loss to Leicester today.

Personally, I'll be glad if he plays consistently in central defense this season. During most of his club career, he has been used as an outside back, and he's just not that good there.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.