Spartacus Vengeance (on Starz)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Alberto, Jan 20, 2012.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Fair enough. And I guess being thumped in the head is a good indication that he is alive.

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! That was some episode last night. Just amazing.

3. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of good things in ep5! According to some of the cast, their favorite episodes are 9/10. Can't wait to see them.

I'm actually starting to enjoy Glaber's character a bit more now that he's gone evil(er).

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Why did Gannicus ever agree to be the executioner?

5. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thinking back, I believe he was in a place where he just didn't care anymore and needed some money. I don't know how much he knew about who exactly he'd be fighting.

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    It's just he didn't look surprised at all when he came out to the arena, and when answering Spartcaus question, gave him some cliche response.

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another really good episode. I must say that both Glaber and Asher have really grown as characters to watch. In particular Asher has really grown as a resourceful and terrific villain.

I love the scene with the Roman Centurion standing watch over the Egyptian, who was at the bottom of the well. Loved the rope being thrown in and the rope going taunt as someone was climbing out.

The scene in the previous episode with the burning and the collapse of the gladiatorial arena was fantastic.

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy the show, but really is it so hard to get the Roman military costumes correct?? The guy guarding the Syrian was wearing armor that wouldn't be introduced for at least another 70 years or so (btw he wasn't a centurion, centurion is a rank and they have a special plume on their helmet. Think Lucius Vorenus at the beginning of the show Rome). They should just borrow the costumers from Rome (the show) and they'd be set period wise.

I know it's just me nitpicking, bute c'mon. At least I'm not carrying on how everyone has to have an English accent. ;)

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a well known fact that Caesar is responsible for Roman's speaking with English accents since he invaded Briton twice during the Gallic Wars ;).

Also, disregard the time line difference between the Servile and Gallic War. That could make your head explode.

10. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    At this point, any show/movie where the legionaries actually throw the pilum makes me happy.

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    1. Wasn't Crixus pierced multiple times last episode? He appeared perfectly healthy.

2. Where does Gannicus go from here?

12. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to the next ep. One thing I heard was that there would be a surprise char. dying off this season. Not sure who that will be though.

13. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about point 1, but for Gannicus, I think with what we saw in the preview the look on his face at the crucifications and Glabers statement to arrest and crucify Gannicus if he leaves Capua that he will be joining S soon.

14. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Does it really matter??

I mean as long as the guy wasn't wearing a picklehaube, I'm happy.

15. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well we now have his answer in no uncertain terms. Another excellent episode with something I had never seen before, when Spartacus cut off the front half of the German and his brains dropped off. That's quite a sharp sword. ;)

16. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What drives me crazy in Roman films is that the legionnaires all end up fighting like Erol Flynn and not like Romans. That probably was what I liked about Rome.

17. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we do. I liked the preview for next week, so S will face off with Glaber to return his wife?

That was quite a strike by S to take his face off, loved how they showed his brain coming out as he fell.

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I wish they showed Gannicus fight that tattoo-faced assasin.

19. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would have been good. I liked the fight they showed with him v S the previous week.

I am looking forward to the egyptian fighting against the Gladiators. Looks like he had some bloody blades in the previews for the next ep.

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same here,,,,,from the result it probably wasn't much of a fight ;)

21. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Yes, that was easily the most realistic depiction I've ever seen. The type of fighting done in movies like, for example, Gladiator (which was far from the worst offender I've seen) suggests that after the initial charge legionaries fought randomly and haphazardly with whichever enemy was around.......which was exactly not what the legions were meant not to do.

22. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave this season another chance and I'm glad I did. Just caught up last night.

A few comments:

>Can someone tell me if Lucrecia has an explicit endgame in mind? Is it simply the downfall of Glaber and Ilythia? Or is she just trying to survive by any means necessary?

>That's twice her plots backfired-- trusting Asher with the vial secret, which resulted in the blackmail rape; and now Gannicus, which resulted in lots of itty bitty pieces of Roman soldiers everywhere. She's kind of flailing about.

>I was both annoyed and relieved at the latest Navia story: annoyed the character had to go through that again after what she's been though; relieved the Crixus / German dude beef may be finally at an end. It was a great story line but should have ended at the Arena rescue.

> Anyone else surprised Asher was so handsome under that beard? He always looked like a giant turd. I'm sure his character was part of that.

> Anyone else bust up laughing at the epic face slice? Hilariously awesome. Apparently Hattori Hanzo is the exclusive provider of all slave swords.

>Who's cutting Spartacus' hair? And with what?

23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    [​IMG]

24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Where does Ilythia go from here?

25. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty daytime TV- / Telenovela- worthy piece of triangulation there, and I mean that in a good way:

Politician under the gun to bring Outlaw to justice.
    Politician hates his double-crossing Wife but he thinks she's bearing his child.
    Wife is possibly bearing the child of Outlaw being chased by Politician.
    Politician assumes Wife is dead by hand of Outlaw so sleeping with politically expedient Girlfriend.
    Girlfriend discovers Politician has killed her beloved Brother, in order to catch Outlaw.

Kind of surprised they're able to pull off this sort of melodramatic plotline, but I'm quite enjoying it.

I also think the Spartacus / Mira storyline has become excellent. I like how they've played her as always unsure of her status with Spartacus, and how it boiled over this week. Plus I find her crazy attractive.