Spain vs. Holland - June 13, 2014 - Salvador [R]

Discussion in 'Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands' started by Furnaccio, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not that they'll ever live down that initial beating.

2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    and play the Brazil 12? and win?

3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    West Germany in 1954 got over their initial beating

All that really matters in the group stage is to get out of the group, its a whole new ball game in the knockout stage

Pichi repped this.
  4. RobinVanRobben

May 1, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Two Torrero victories, one with 5 goals and a Oranje loss (not the craziest thing to think) and who knows who plays Brazil. But if it happens to be Oranje, than, well, no issue.

5. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    If one was to watch the first half again one would not think the Dutch would trash spain, that's why football is the greatest sport and also why I never win any money gambling on it

jerrito repped this.
  6. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Xavi/Alonso are too old.
    Torres/Villa either old and past their prime.
    Casillylas should retire.
    Ramos has always had horrible games for Real Madrid, saw this coming years ago, when he is bad he is abysmal.
    Not use to playing with Costa, Costa not use to the style of play.

The only who is still world class is Iniesta.
    Spain is finished, they have NO hope of winning this WC.

Christina99 repped this.
  7. js16

js16 Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Spain can perfectly get out of the group but that would mean playing with brazil which is hopeless since the host is always beniftiated.

8. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sure it is possible. But Oranje play Australia next (currently losing 2-1 against Chile), win that and all you need is a draw against Chile to finish first. Chile vs Spain, is now maybe the key match.

Personal Oranje 2 Aus 1, Oranje 2 Chile 2, Oranje/Chile go through.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Anything can happen in the knockout rounds and frankly I was underwhelmed by Brazil's performance yesterday. That said, I am just enjoying today's victory and am grateful the Oranje are back, even if they are back in blue.

Ruud11 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  10. RobinVanRobben

May 1, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is hard to say who I would rather meet in the future. Would a repeat against Spain, or a Brazil match be preferable (sorry, Chile perhaps)? And with that choice, who would be more likely to knock out the one Holland wants to avoid. It may be more likely Spain would beat Brazil.

11. RobinVanRobben

May 1, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Underwhelmed by Brazil and confused by Spain hahaha. I think Brazil will rebound far better than Spain. If rebounding is necessary for Brazil.

12. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Spain don't have the legs or the home support to rebound. Del Boy-esta won't do et want Spain need, a clear out Xavi/Alonso/Casillas/Torres/Villa (is retiring).

Brazil are playing at home, have not lost at home in a competitive match since 1975, with the 12th man (home support) and the vital 13th man the ref. Brazil can run Spain ragged if Flip-flop-pao changes a few things.

13. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicest goal of the cup so far, no question

14. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch Mexico win the group and then lose to Spain or Chile

15. js16

js16 Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The first netherlands goal came out of nowhere. Something happened to the netherlands team on the dressing room.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    A dodgy PK and some incredibly poor goalkeeping sunk Croatia. And Spain have won the biggest tournaments in the world back to back to back, not to mention they went through qualifying undefeated. Ignore today's match, it was an anomaly. To suggest they'd have no chance against Brazil is foolish.

17. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I just hope the Dutch don't run out of steam too early, like Euro 2008

18. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I think what happened to Spain is what tends to happen to US Super Bowl champs. They got fat and lazy. Just took a while longer to catch up with them. The Dutch are easily the most impressive team so far, but that doesn't mean much, we've only played 4 matches. Anyone wanting to knock out the home team 14 (squad+crowd+ref+weather) will need a LOT of whatever the Dutch had for a snack at halftime.

19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Casillas makes me proud
    :cool:

20. Slotback

Slotback Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Absolutely staggered by how horrible Spain was in the second half.

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What do you guys think happened in the second half that led to this historic thrashing. I feel the freedom given to Blind was key.

22. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Dutch were pressing in the first half but not as aggressive compared to the 2nd half. Maybe they did it on purpose. Maybe Van Gaal knew that the old tired legs of Spain would give out in the 2nd half and maybe that's why the Dutch saved their energy. Blind's long pass was a thing of beauty. High pressure+tired legs+speed=possible blowout. I think Spain got a bit arrogant too. Nobody thought this Dutch team was any good. Why worry about a guy called Blind? After they scored the PK they played as if they had already won. They looked a bit stunned when Van Persie scored the first one. They started the 2nd half ok, then came the 2nd Dutch goal. They got punched in the mouth and didn't know how to react. I think the 3rd goal is what killed them for good. They haven't been humbled this bad in years.

Asalieri, Christina99 and Pipiolo repped this.
  23. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  24. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Right, LOL @ this being exactly like the Croatia v Brazil one. The one against Casillas was much worse. Christ, some people have no principles.

condor11 repped this.
  25. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    #300 johnbarley2, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    Don't count Spain out. Thought they bossed thing in the 1st half. The created about 4 very good chances. RVP's goal was against the run of play. 2nd half was another story.

Then again, Spanish midfielders don't have the legs anymore...we saw this all season with both Barca and RM. Will it be even worse in WC tournament format?

Warning to Brazil and Argentina who are carrying laughable keepers as well. It's very funny that 3 of the 4 favorites have atrocious keepers despite of each having very good options. Sacred cows and hubris.