Spain - Turkey (R)

Discussion in 'Group D - Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Croatia' started by nirvaanfc, Jun 17, 2016.

1. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://footballfutbolcalciosoccer.blogspot.com/2016/06/euro-2016-preview-group-d-spain-czech.html

Everyone knows how talented the Spanish squad and hopefully they can give us a performance worthy of their undoubted class. Although, I am not as optimistic given their track record of success at these tournaments aren't usually down to high-scoring games (obvious exception being Euro 2012 final).

Turkey are such an intriguing proposition, so much talent in midfield (i.e. Turan, Sahin, Malli, Calhanoglu, Mor) you can only hope they can get their act in order and give the Spanish a real test.

Perhaps the one shortcoming of a 24 team tournament with the 4 best 3rd placed finishers is a game like this which should see a desperate Turkey will now probably be reduced to Turkey being content to play for a draw and look to win their final game.

2. keremistanbul

keremistanbul Member

Fenerbahçe
    Turkey
    Sep 6, 2015
    İstanbul
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Gonna be a very tough game for us. We did really bad agains Croatia. We cannot lose. It seems there is no way to go next stage with 3 points(assuming we will beat Czech Rep.)

Our midfield was terrible against Croatia. I hope Turan and Calhanoglu will show their potential.

Volkan Babacan
    Gokhan Gonul-Topal-Balta-CanerErkin
    SelcukInan-Ozyakup
    Volkan Sen-Calhanoglu-Turan
    CenkTosun

This would be the best starting 11

3. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Turkey, like Ukraine and Belgium are kind of wasting their talent. They have a lot of talent but for some reason, most likely because of poor coaching or just players that don't match, it doesn't show. There doesn't seem any strategy or team synergy. Turan, doesn't seem to be the man that make the midfield flow well, Calhanoglu was quite meh as well with aimless long distances shots and freekicks well off target. They will face one hell of a challenge against Spain. Spain's midfield also doesn't really flow well as it should but still does the job. I doubt Turkey's defense can hold the pressure, Spain will be more relentless than Croatia on the offense.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I feel like Turkey is best when they play with a little desperation in their game. When they try to play a calm and tactical style they seem to struggle. Especially against Croatia who is such an intelligent passing team that style was no match.

Hopefully the pressure today creates a more passionate performance against Spain. Turkey's best performances in 2002 and 2008 involved a little chaos and being bold in attack. That little craziness in their game can throw opponents off.

5. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turkey's jersey is magnificent.

6. PeanutFlush

PeanutFlush Member

Jul 8, 2009
    NoVa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play acting from Spain, pretending to get a hand to the face when it was really to the chest.

7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what Busquets does. Nuthin' new.

8. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The forwards score.

2-0 Spain.

yawn

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    And we have the first goleada of the tournament ... Two hours ago I was imagining Croatia challenging Spain for winning the group. How quickly things change in football ...

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    huh - were you talking about me?

[​IMG]

Jamooky, nirvaanfc and Boloni86 repped this.
  11. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well that Turkish performance was probably the worst of the tournament. Spain played well but Turkey just were so poor I feel the result was more a result of this. Topal's assist on the second goal summed up their day.

The booing of Arda seemed harsh, even if his performance was abysmal - in truth, which Turkish player left the game with credit?

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turkey seemed to have gone cold turkey...