Spain 2008-?: Where do they rank amongst the greats?

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by KyleP, Jul 11, 2010.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Correction: it was the Bildzeitung, also from Bavaria, who gave Cruijff a five out of five mark in the final.

I also noticed some quite arrogant remarks of referee Jack Taylor in the same issue.

The issue notes some ratings of kicker for German players but not for the Dutch ones.

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks for your info you sent. I can read some Spanish.

Yes, the 1970s and 1980s is also a favorite era for me. I'm younger but I feel the game was in general more technical and also less spoiled by the select ruling of a few elite clubs which has as effect that in the past the tasks and demands for the 'stars' were more extensive. Current playstation-teams bore me a bit although I like to see Xavi and David Silva at work.

3. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Another part of that report has him stating that it is not true that they lost to East Germany in order to avoid the war path of Holland, Brazil and Argentina in the second phase – since that was one accusation that was thrown at them during the tournament.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, I've also read this. See the previous page:
    Similarly, Cruijff has often denied an easier route would had been a better scenario. Because, in his view, nations as Holland and Denmark can give something extra against the big ones and have traditionally huge difficulties against the smaller ones.
    On the other hand, he also admitted the win against Brazil while not being 100% fit maybe aggravated his over-confidence.

Many details were not right in his view, he mentions the hotel, the swimming-pool story; the draw was "the least relevant" one.
    He was quite complimentary for Rensenbrink as well I see, he mentions his thigh-injury he suffered against Brazil as "an often underrated negative factor."

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I read the piece you send me. Yes, some quite provocative statements.

As far as I know, the only 'negative' things Cruijff has said about Beckenbauer is that Beckenbauer was lucky to be born in Germany; some top-defenders like Passarella, Krol, Scirea and Blanc (really! :p) were as good as him; and the Bundesliga was a perfect league for him. Before the match against Brazil he talked about how the lobby-machine wants to make of Beckenbauer the player of the tournament - the source for this is the chapter about his NT-career in his official biography.

This aside, he has always praised him. Especially for his leadership. It is well-known Cruijff has a weakness for 'leader-types' on the pitch. In a book that deals with leadership in football he goes even so far to say that Beckenbauer was at a few crucial moments a better leader than him. He also praises his leadership as director: "he doesn't get distracted from the core-issues, the essential things, that is difficult and an indicator of leadership."

However, when he was asked with which player he had wanted to play with during his career, he said Gerd Müller. He never played with him in a team. He played one time though with Beckenbauer I remember now, in a shirt of the Cosmos I believe.

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    This reminds me of Cruijff's fact on taking PK for the team. Once in interview, being asked why he did not take PK by himself but letting others do, Cruijff said, "Why me? PK is so easy, no? " LOL I like his selfconfidence and arrogance ...

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That is a quote of Pelé actually. He added: it is unrelated to football (I have a book about the history of penalty kicks, very fascinating)

Where did you read this?

Funnily, he took only one official PK in his whole career for Ajax. I guess you know which one it is.

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Pele said: "A penalty is a cowardly way to score a goal"

He might meant the same thing but in totally different context, as Pele did take a lot pK himself