Southern burials: Seashells on graves?

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Bonnie Lass, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    This seemed like the best choice for forums. Apologies if it ain't.

What is the significance of placing seashells on graves? Specifically, seashells embedded within the concrete of a grave marker, from the late 1800s to the early 1900s, primarily in the South.

I've come across some ideas and nice articles about it being something slaves did, as the ocean carried them here and the shells will carry them home. Which would be the perfect answer if these were only black or slave graves. But I've seen the seashells in white cemeteries as well.

I'm not saying slave tradition couldn't possibly influence white burial practices, but given the time period and location in the deep South, I think it's something more. Of course, it could just be a cheap decoration for graves.

Has anyone heard anything or know of a possible answer?

Thanks. I know it's very random, very specific question, but I'm hoping someone heard something in a class in college or knows because maybe of something heard in church or in family conversation.

2. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area

Not claiming to be an expert on this, but I had always heard two explanations for the sea shells: 1) They helped keep the spirits down in the grave, this purpose was also helped along by hanging colorful bottles upside-down from trees to "capture" the rising spirits. 2) They are symbolic of the "watery-grave after-life".

That these shells would appear on a white grave would be odd though not impossible. A possible logical explanation, though, would be: Why wouldn't a slave put shells on a white grave to keep down THOSE evil spirits.

3. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Fighting the heat and gnats, I just went out to the cemetery I was talking about with the shells. I know of others in surrounding counties, but those are about 30 miles out.

Anyway, I found three definite graves with shells. They seem to be some of the oldest in the graveyard. Directly beside them were graves from the 1860s-1870s. I took photos. Creepy, I know. However, in the past 15 years I've been going out there, the older cement graves have quickly deteriorated, so I can always claim historical preservation.

But I will say this much: Beyond the cemetery, in the woods, is a slave cemetary. There are no markers, not even the sign that was there 12 years ago, proclaiming its existance. (There's even rumored to be indian burial grounds beyond the slave plots.) So, perhaps the graves with shells were influenced by the slave burials ... But this particular cemetary is heavy with confederate burials, so again, not entirely sure.

Anyway, I'll post photos tomorrow of the graves in question.

4. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    If you find out the answer to that question, you can then investigate why women always like to decorate bathrooms with seashells.

5. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I'm guessing to keep the evil spirits (men) out?

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what pastels are for.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    [​IMG]

Seriously, this is a good thread topic, red.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, that's a pop-culture reference I don't get.

I have to admit, the seashell thing is new to me. Of course, I grew up in Nebraska and my family is from Kansas.

And couldn't it be possible that some whites quietly sought to utilize juju powers?

9. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    I looked for a handyman picture as a different way of saying "fixed your post" and with the Febreeze reference, the above was just too good to pass up.

I'm still interested in the significance of the seashells, though.

10. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I would seriously doubt that, thought of course anything is possible. Whites in the south made a very serious effort to separate slaves from their "savage" culture. Banning African songs, drums, etc. For whites to embrace any of these cultural things, particularly at death, would seem a little odd to me.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there's what people did and said openly, and then there's what the did in the middle of the night, in and out the back door, when nobody was watching.

I have no evidence to back that up; it just strikes me that generation after generation of living in close proximity might have contributed to some clandestine cross-cultural exchange of folk traditions. Just guessing.

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    That would be potpourri.

See, I would like to accept that theory, but the time period is all wrong. If it were the 1920s and on, it would be different. But the graves I saw were all done about the 1850s-1870s. And that's an educated guess, based on the graves beside them.

Yes, I agree. If not just for them trying to convert anything that breathed into god-fearing Christians, but also because (and pardon if this offends anyone) but for a white to take on slaves' traditions, would have lowered themselves in the eyes of other whites, and possibly even thought of as a 'lover/sympathizer' of slaves. I mean, really. This is South Georgia and that cemetery is chock full of confederate soldier graves.

And it did, believe me. You can tell who's old south and who's new south by their feelings on voodoo/hoodoo ... Those whose families have been around for generations, both black and white, all have a healthy respect of both religions. They may not believe it works, they may be Christian or Catholic, but they've heard enough tales to keep them from dismissing it.

And IMHO, old south families on both sides have incredibly similar traditions today, at least in the poor, rural south, and share more in common than their urban or northern brethren. But again, the time period is wrong. There was way too much going on, even before the war.

Sorry. Off topic. I have photos, I downloaded them to my desk at work, but I've not had a chance to post them online yet. I'll do that at work Tuesday.

Sorry.

13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to post this question on the Wikipedia reference desk.

14. Katie!

Katie! New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    From this page ...

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  16. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ Useless fact per that post, the article talks about the Gullah culture. Their most famous member currently is Clarence Thomas.

As a purely "sit back and think about it" analysis with no evidence, you're probably correct. Different groups throughout history have always "borrowed" what they like from each other. A good example of that today is California and the Southwest and how Chicano culture is becoming in some cases adopted by the whites (like soccer for example ;) ).

17. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    So my kids weren't really hearing the ocean this past week when listening to sea shells - they were hearing ghosts? That'll freak them out, alright.

18. jhhaz

jhhaz New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    The seashells laid around the head of a grave or placed on the headstone here in south Georgia are a sign of a pilgrimage or visit to the grave site. I try to collect conch shells at the coast to place on graves when I go to visit. It's just a tradition started in my family because our common ancestor jumped off a ship, swam a mile to shore in coastal Georgia, and lived a life. Never a citizen. Banished from England for poaching some guys rabbit. 1820. We came from the sea so the shells are symbolic.