Southampton vs Liverpool FC - EPL - April 5 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Apr 2, 2019.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    if the ref gives a yellow for time wasting, he should hand the ball to the oppo for a FK or in this case a throw.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    good game from Naby. hopefully he'll relax a bit more now and we'll see him blossom. great goal from him.

LiverpoolFanatic and EruditeHobo repped this.
  3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was good and bad to be fair - but the goal was, obviously, huge.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh, my heart.

I was cringing a bit when Hendo and Milner came on but knew it had to be better than what was out there. Boy did they make a difference. Great eye from Klopp. Horses for courses and all that.

Like everyone else said, what a roller coaster. I was thinking this would be the 2nd time in a row I would be headed to Liverpool on the back of a huge disappointment but we pulled it out! :D

B.A. and newterp repped this.
  5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on a conference call getting yelled at by the senior partner I work with (more about that douche later) - and on mute - oh how I air punched like mad!!

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't really count as an assist, does it?

Either way Hendo was immense. Good bounce back after the worst match he's played in years, probably. Love seeing him play well.

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a fantastic rule change.

B.A. repped this.
  8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you going for Porto and Chelsea??

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    why wouldn't it? his pass led directly to a goal. (unlike ice hockey, there are no "rules" that I'm aware of that determine what is/isn't an assist. I think the concept of assists in footie are purely a creation of tv comms and the "new" stat sites like OptaJoe.)

he brought passion to the team's performance today - exactly what we needed since to that point it was flat and pretty damn pedestrian.

overall, it burns me how much criticism he gets. I think a lot of it is because he's following in Stevie G's footsteps and nobody IMO will ever be as influential to LFC performances as Stevie G was. Hendo does exactly what Klopp wants him to do in the deep role and - ironically - does it with the discipline Stevie was criticized for not showing at times. however for most of his career Hendo's been a box-to-box player who has scored a lot of very good goals driving forward like tonight.

for the goal his drive into the box, beyond our forwards, is what we miss with Ox being out. Gini does it from time to time but not with the same gung-ho energy Ox and Hendo show. I think Naby can do it but he's settling in so slowly we ain't seen much of it as yet. from Hendo's post-game comments, it seems like he and Klopp agreed that he would look to do that when he came on. let's hope we see more of it now!

kopiteinkc, usscouse and Navieko repped this.
  10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm going for Liverpool ;)

Yeah, I'll be at the Porto and Chelsea games, aka the Mou Combo. Say a prayer to your deity that my tickets arrive and are legit.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    • Liverpool have beaten Southampton in four successive league games for the first time in the club's history.
    • Liverpool have won seven of their last eight Premier League games when conceding the opening goal (L1), including tasting victory on each of the last five.
    • Liverpool became the seventh club in English top-flight history to concede 5,000 goals after Everton, Manchester City, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland and Arsenal.
    • Liverpool's Jordan Henderson is the first Premier League substitute to score a goal, assist a goal and receive a yellow card since Graziano Pelle did so against Crystal Palace in May 2016.
    • Naby Keita's goal for Liverpool was his first Premier League goal of the season from his 23rd shot in the competition. He is the third player from Guinea to score in the league after Kamil Zayatte and Titi Camara.

jeffcoop repped this.
  12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You bastard.

A CL tie, that is one of my very few remaining Liverpool matches I haven't gotten to yet. Good luck with the tickets!

burning247 repped this.
  13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it definitely seems I'm wrong, and I did grow up with American ideas about what an assist means... but when you pass the ball to someone inside your half and they dribble 75 yards and put it in the side netting through 2 defenders, the "assist" meaning seems to lose a lot of value. I've never thought of that as an assist, there are so many better ways to accout for that action statistically -- but it doesn't really matter, everyone credits that as an assist and is giving Hendo the credit, so good for him.

I'm sure OPTA or someone has a better way of categorizing that action... I assume so at least? Maybe I'm wrong there too.

14. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a friend and colleague who went to England this week with his two sons for their spring break. All three are football fans and Reds supporters, and they had tickets for last Sunday at Anfield and today at Southampton. I’m trying to convince him that he needs to stay in England until mid-May. To hell with his job and his kids’ schooling. Priorities, man.

el-capitano, kopiteinkc and burning247 repped this.
  15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One of the rare occasions when a midfielder broke through the defensive line, and we score. Imagine that ...

usscouse and CB-West repped this.
  16. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jeffcoop and newterp repped this.
  17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Klopp from he Telegraph livefeed page.

I’m more interested in that he made a tactical change because a few players gave jaded performances rather than the so-called mind games.

18. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So - wasn’t able to catch this game - had to settle for the highlights...
    Didn’t like that we gave up the early first goal - but pleased that we bounced back...
    And our midfielder scored TWO GOALS and Mo finally got his 50th for our Reds...

Hoping that is the sign of things to come...more goals from our middies, Mo opening the gate...Mane likes to score in CL games

Three goals...just keep scoring!

speker repped this.
  19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that’s 3 games on the bounce where we have won the game in the last 10 mins. Great ********ing heart!

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whew! Watched the replays above again - Salah just gets that shot off in time.

One more touch and he is getting dispossessed.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    get someone to hide his passport!!

jeffcoop repped this.
  22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I hear you about the "immediacy" of Hendo's pass .... using hockey standards, any pass to a guy who then scores is an assist. I assume it will be applied here also but who knows.

I wonder how long it will take for the game to codify what an assist actually is. not so long ago I did a double take hearing someone use the term related to a footie goal and had a WTF reaction to it. at this point it seems to be used all the time .... even on UK-based comms / broadcasts.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  23. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    When Henderson and Milner we’re preparing to come on, John Gibbons tweeted, “he’s bringing on the grownups.” That’s exactly what it was. There was nothing tactical about it. We just needed experience and cool heads to get out of there with 3 points.

LiverpoolFanatic, kopiteinkc and newterp repped this.
  24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henderson’s header was a really good almost a 15 yarder and it was not a clearance - it was intended to get to Mo. I agree that Mo had it all to do - but he isn’t on his merry way but for the Mane challenge and that Henderson header.

25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Klopp said so too - he needed “physical and verbal aggression”.