PBP: Southampton Vs. Chelsea 27th Feb 2016

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Naughtius Maximus, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I blame the french

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  2. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Holy crap that's a lot of poor touches and passes in succession.

Yahtzee repped this.
  3. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now's not the time to be making stupid mistakes, Mikel and Costa.

4. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    2 more mins. Hold on

5. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    THATS THE FIGHT THAT MADE ME LOVE THIS TEAM. It's been missing for a while.

yasik19 and hudson hooligan repped this.
  6. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    way to dig it out.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Love this result purely from fighting stand point. Way to go lads.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    She's called 'the little woman' ironically, dude :( Not that she's big... but she's vicious... y'know :eek:

:D

Nah, I couldn't get the game streaming anyway so went out for my walk and listened on the radio.

We sounded like we were playing well so I'll have to watch it on MOTD tonight.

9. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wonder where this leaves Rahman. Was it tactical? Or is his chance passed now?

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    He made one mistake, I wouldn't crucify him just yet.

This result is perfect for the lads before PSG.

Blueallthru repped this.
  11. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yep, whens the last time we saw these guys just have to dig deep like that and fight from behind to get a big 3 points? Pleased with this.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    We didn't play all that well, but then again, Soton packed the box completely, something PSG won't do. Still, we need to play better; too many mediocre touches. Fabregas had a very uneven game, Hazard's afraid to take players on.

Result, however, was great. Rahman showing what happens when you're a young defender without enough experience.

13. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What a difference from the home game against this lot, I think the home game was just about the worst performance I have seen from a Chelsea team for 20 years. Today, without being at our absolute best, I think a win was a deserved result, we bossed most of the game and completely bossed the second half, we still don't look completely 'polished' but small steps are being made. Hiddink has made such a difference giving him the job at the end of the season wouldn't be the worst option in the world (still only 1 league defeat suffered under his command, incredible stat when you think about it particularly when you consider the mess he took on this time around).

14. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We are 11th. Getting close to the top 10.

15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Guus had some criticism for Noodles.

Games like this where we look bad but win, I'll take it.

16. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fabregas made an equally bad cross-field pass in our own half that resulted in a turnover and Soton chance. No one talks about it because they didn't score. But it was really bad. We've done that a lot this season with turnovers.

I can't blame Rahman on that play. There were 3 Chelsea players there and he was in a bad spot. In fact, as someone previously mentioned, Courtois was way to slow to come out for a ball that was in his 18 well before the player arrived. Bad job on him reacting. Just an overall breakdown - which is what a goal is. There are no such things as good goals to let up. There's always a mistake.

If he gets sidelined for this it would be stupid. I know Costa is the goalscorer, but how many more times do we have to see him dribble blindly into a gaggle of defenders with all the dexterity of a newborn giraffe?

17. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't have a problem with it. It shouldn't however result in him being benched.

We won, looked good, missed chances, showed character, beat a team above us. It was a good match and one we should be happy about.

18. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    fabregas also had a sqaure ball played back to the CBs (they were standing about a yard apart from eachother), and neither of them stepped forward into the space to receive it, and a soton player came in and got it easily. so while fabregas played a couple of bad passes, a few of them weren't necessarily his fault that they weren't completed. he was kind of up and down yesterday. some of his passes and movement were brilliant. also had most tackles on the day. all in all, he's looked a different player under hiddink.

Blueallthru repped this.
  19. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    [​IMG]

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I remember that. It looked like a brief moment of indecision with each of them standing there thinking, 'Oh, HE'LL get this...'. Neither of them did.

I think with two guys used to playing alongside each other that doesn't happen.

A CB pairing is like that. Individually they don't have to be that great, (although it helps, obviously;)), but working as a pairing... THAT'S important.