News: south carolina brings back "silent soccer" in september

Discussion in 'Referee' started by drummer68, Jul 6, 2017.

1. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Totally agree. I just hope things don't go from "no rules" to "too many rules" in an over reaction. I personally like "Silent Saturday". I don't think it should expand to "Silent September" (much less an entire season).

2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If it is good enough for a Saturday, why isn't it good for September? Or for the season?

It is either a good idea/practice or it is not. If it is a good idea, do it; if it isn't, then don't.

3. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Because it will hopefully show "Joe's dad" (the troublemaker) his antics don't matter. Or it might give "Joe" the courage to tell his dad he liked it better when he didn't yell. Can you explain why it's better to punish all parents based on the actions of a few?

And no, I don't think 99% of what I yell has any affect on my child (or others). That doesn't mean I'm going to stop though.

I want to point out, during our Silent Saturdays, coaches aren't allowed to say anything to players on the field either. They can give instructions to the players on the bench, but that's it. I'm sure coaches would go for that for an entire season.

4. Oski123

Oski123 New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    When I coached rec, I would try to do at least one quiet sideline game each season. One thing that really struck me in the most recent game (U10B) was that I would identify an issue (where I would typically have yelled something out -- for example, to have the defense push up, have an attacking player move out into space along the touch line, etc.), and usually just a few seconds later the players would identify the same issue and made the same correction I had in mind. Having a quiet sideline also allowed for good discussion with the substitutes.

As an added bonus, by keeping our parents and coaches quiet, we could clearly hear the other team's parents and coaches getting increasingly frustrated with the progress of the game.

IASocFan repped this.
  5. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Our local middle school had 8th graders who wanted to divide their homerooms into teams and play a soccer match at the end of the year. So our league provided referees and goals, and they played the game during the last school period on a friday in May, and all the students got to come watch and have pizza and soda (99% of the students were chatting and not paying attention to the game).

I took off early from work to referee. This middle school had a bunch of club players, and the play was very high quality (co-ed teams). The kids had made their own jerseys, and the PE coach helped get everything set up and was there to deal with any injuries or problems, but didn't do any "coaching" during the game. At half time, the other refs and I were marveling at how much fun it was. For us and the kids. There wasn't a single parent there.

Based on how that game went, I would be in favor of telling parents to not even bother showing up. No one will miss them.

dadman repped this.
  6. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Today was another tournament for me. I was walking across a baseball diamond to get to my first game, and I was startled by a parent screaming obscenities at a referee who did not call a penalty late in a 5-0 game for the winning team. The game was stopped, parent left, but only by about 100 yards. Police were called. Alcohol suspected. 9 AM kickoff. U9 boys. It's insane.

My last game of 5 today (previously mentioned that I purposefully do the u littles at tournaments). Coach is Mr. Polite. But, he has now complained politely about 4 calls that he hasn't gotten in the first half, and when he politely complains that I didn't give him a handling call, I walk over at the next stoppage and tell him that it was the last time he mentions a call to me for the rest of the game. He then tells me that he has every right to argue calls. And I tell him, no, you don't have any right whatsoever. Again, U9 boys. His team won 6-2.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  7. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    "The Laws of the Game allow you to be in the technical area to provide tactical advice to your team, and to behave in a responsible manner. If you can't do those things, you can't remain in the technical area. Understood? Thanks, coach!" And back out of there while he's trying to figure out what you just told him.

And then toss him for irresponsible behavior if it persists. Seriously. The sooner he learns, the better.