South American Player of the Year

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Breitner'sWig, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I've noticed there is a notable player who I couldn't mention even once: Falcao. He was very near in the race in 1979, 1982 and 1983 but was displaced ever by Zico.

2. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Another player who I couldn't mention even once was Omar Sívori. His best years were from 1957 to 1961 but, again, collided with glorious years of Alfredo Di Stéfano, Pelé and Garrincha.

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Apart from your own observation what did you read or see to validate this judgement? Was this view a often expressed one?

I'm also curious about why Gerson is seen as the best in 1967 (and not another year for example)

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    very good remark Peru ...
    Both Falcao/Sivori were clearly under rated .... for some reasons

5. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    For footballers who I've seen play in detail I rely on my own observation, I don't need another source to base my own view.

What years and why do you think he should be better considered than others in those?

6. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Greetings Peru!

I was wondering, was it common for Serie A games to be televised back in Lima in the 80s? How were you able to observe these players?

Over here in the States, we only used to get one game per week, which was usually the most interesting matchup or the top teams. Later in the day, we did receive a program which was called 90 minuto which covered all the goals and highlights of the day.

7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Did you watch Junior play, I thought you said you are in your 20s?

8. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    At least Guerin Sportivo had Maradona as the best:
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/italpoy.html

If what you saw convinces you that Junior was superior, nobody should push you to change your mind and modify your list. But gee, Maradona in his highest rated season in Serie A outdone by Junior... I have trouble dealing with that kind of nonsense :p

9. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Shocking

10. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Not sure about Garrincha. I really dont see what other year one could give him.
    Totaly agree with your point on Pelé.

11. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Would you say Pelé was more than Di Stéfano already in 1959?
    Regarding the 40s.. Leónidas seemed to have had a very prolific 1940 season in both the Carioca (Flamengo was runner up but Leónidas was top scorer with 30 goals in 24 games) and the Rio Sao Paulo Tournament (13 goals in 8 games of the first roung holding the in the top position until tournament was cancelled), did you consider him for the top spot too?
    In 1942 Pedernera was the catalizer for La Máquina when moved from the wing to the center of the attacking line, plus he score a bunch of goals. Hard to pick between him and Moreno, I guess. Wouldnt Pedernera be a good candidate for 1943 too?

Besides Junior for 1985, what surprised me the most was Gerson in 1967 instead of Pedro Rocha, champion with Penarol that season and Copa America winner with Uruguay as Player of the Tournament...

msioux75 repped this.
  12. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Excellent job, by the way. Even if I dont personally agree with every choice.

13. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Gerson was possibly also better as Pelé and basically every other Brazilian player in 1968.

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Pipolo never watched the KING playing so forgive him ... besides that, he sometimes did give a shocking comment LOL

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    May be? I would say maybe not
    Gerson had a great season with bota won taca Brazil that year/ however Pele led Santos to win Brazil champs serieA (Botafogo exit early)
    Gerson also shone bright in Brazil shirt that year while Pele was still in his RETIREMENT (since after WC66 incidence)

16. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I didn't watch them by television broadcasts mates, actually I was born in 1987 (I'm 25). What I did is to collect and watch videos with the most of each season of the most of the major leagues for 10 years (now I do it as semiprofessional because I work doing historical analysis for some magazines). During this time I tried to review all recorded matches of each league (also extensive sport analysis of each time) paying particular attention to some of the most prominent players in history, one of them is Diego Maradona. But Júnior was also a special case because after seeing him play in a game against AC Milan in the 1984/85 season struck me because I remembered him as wing-back, not as midfielder. For a while I followed him and even wrote an article in Spanish about his spell in Torino.

P.D.: Most of the videos I remember were from the RAI video library.

Pipiolo repped this.
  17. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Of course, it's maybe a taste matter. For that year I struggled to decide between them.

18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Why had Gerson a higher level in 1967 as in 1968?

Btw, I do not believe it that people have watched every match of him.

19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Did you travel to Italy for watching the videos?

Why do you think that Gerson was the best in 1967 and Pelé in 1968? What accounts for the 'swap'? Did Pelé increase his level?

20. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I'd be lying if I tell you I remember every analysis I made at that time. I can remember that the initial explosion of Pelé gives me the impression that suddenly catapulted him as the best player in the world at his 17-19 years old between 1958 and 1959, even over Di Stéfano, Kopa and Didí.

For 1940 I think the competition was between Moreno and Leonidas (actually I chose Leonidas as 2nd and Moreno as 3rd to my main article behind the European Bican) and for 1943 I think Zizinho and Antonio Sastre were better candidates than Adolfo Pedernera very narrowly.

For 1967 I think Gérson had a great performance in the Campeonato Carioca but it would be fair to consider also to Pedro Rocha.

21. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    But, why? I'm not sure.

22. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    No, I've exchanged audiovisual material with some collectors, colleagues and friends from different sites through internet.

23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Are you also giving your reasoning?

Why; because I don't think Gerson had a lower level in 1968 and I do believe that Pelé was in the same (physical) state as in 1967. Gerson his teams in 1968 had successes as well (you mentioned the Carioca; he won that in 1968 as well).
    I base this on newspaper sources and also the statistics; he was both in 1967 and 1968 among the best scorers of his team, in some events even the main scorer despite playing as midfielder. This is an excellent blog for finding stats:
    http://mundobotafogo.blogspot.com

Although stats are never the final word (in comparing players); if the same player keeps on playing in the same position/role and scores at the same rate, that is a major sign for his form.

I also triangulated this with some matches I saw - mostly national team games - although that isn't much of course.
    Already during the 1966WC Gerson was widely seen as the 2nd best Brazilian player, after Pelé.

Now your turn to clarify why you think Gerson had a lower level in 1968 and/or Pelé reached a higher level.

Who was the best in a year is something subjective but I think Gerson had a similar level in both years, same for Pelé (the level did not increase/decrease to another category of performance). Gerson was in a 'steady state'.

24. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    It will be hard to answer because I don't remember the details of my original analysis but one of the reasons I've in mind was the tremendous exposure of Pelé that year, even facing to Beckenbauer and Eusébio.

25. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    If you want and can, it would be good to find that analysis back.

Of course Pelé had great exposure but was this any different in 1967?