Sonofapitch - Are you OK?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by FUAEG, Jun 30, 2008.

1. The Wee Man

The Wee Man New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    San Jose
    Alan, Thank God it worked out the way it did. Betty and I send our best wishes. We could not believe it even after seeing the plane and your pilot on the news.

I would love to buy you a pint in celebration at half time at the beer stand on the west side at the next game. Hail Hail Pal and take care.

2. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Glad to hear you and your pilot are okay SOP - next time you guys try a landing like that let's hope it's just in a simulator! I wish you both a speedy recovery.

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so are you going back up again tomorrow?

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what's said when a horse throws its rider... get back up and mount again! :)

Which I know Alan will. I said it's an occupational hazard, and there's the remote chance of it happening every time he goes to work, just like every time an athlete risks injury by stepping onto the field of battle, but I'm sure there's nothing he likes more than being able to do his job and everything that goes with it.

5. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    WTF..?

What an experience!..Glad you could walk away from that unharmed.

Things like this makes one appreciate life more they say, I hope they are right.

6. supafrye

supafrye New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    San Jose
    SoaP, dude you survived a plane crash! Glad you weren't seriously hurt, and hope that your pilot recovers quickly. His skills kept you both in the land of the vertical. Make sure to buy him a tall frosty one now-and-again.

7. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    LMAO! Clearly, you forgot your parachute! (So did I. Gravel never felt so soft.)

8. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    As you now know from days having past...no. Despite media reports that I was "unharmed," I did suffer those typical aches and bruises like you'd get if you were in a rear-ender car accident. ('Course, the media also reported that I was 37 and I'm really 46 years old. They even took my info off my driver's license! Someone is pretty bad at math.) I'm off for the remainder of the week in order to heal and regain some flexibility...very stiff right now.

As for returning to the skies, that depends upon the outcome of the FAA inspections of our other aircraft and what changes happen in the maintenance area. My initial feeling is that I will no longer be flying...my choice. My company is being very understanding (I'm their first crash survivor...uncharted waters for us all) and they are exploring options to accomodate my wish to continue working on-the-air but from a studio on the ground...or maybe doing reports while driving the Bay Area freeways. We'll see.

Hey! The Quakes need a new PA announcer guy, don't they? I could offer to do that. How high is the booth? ;):D

9. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear you read you survived, but sad to find out your career is changing.

You could probably be a valuable consultant to Cal-Trans now with all your years of highway observations.

Good luck to you.

10. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hell, Alan, that's more dangerous than flying.
    ;)

11. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    For my money, they are, Schwalker. I find that I'm suddenly more patient with people than before and less quick to judge. Guess I figure I'm lucky to be here and shouldn't spend this second chance casting stones.

You'd think I'd have learned that by now, too, wouldn't ya?!? :D

12. Corralitos Sam

Corralitos Sam New Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Sono,

As they say, "any landing you can walk away from is a good one."

I hope that you and your pilot are well.

13. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, I first saw that and thought. There's no way he's younger than me! :)
    Glad you're okay, my friend.