Sonny Guadarrama & Edgar Castillo 8/29/07 Santos v Chivas (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by garbaggio, Aug 30, 2007.

1. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Link is to MedioTiempo's article (in Spanish).

Sonny Guadarrama made his first appearance of the year and Edgar Castillo went 90 again as Santos continued it's hot start with it's 5th win in as many games, winning 2-1 against Chivas de Guadalajara. Guadarrama subbed on with 22 minutes left.

Game summary:

http://www.mediotiempo.com/fmf/primera/apertura_2007/ficha.php?id_partido=17901

For what it's worth, Medio Tiempo lists both Guadarrama and Castillo as US-born naturalized Mexicans (click on their names in the box score). Don't know if that means that they actually have Mexican passports or just that they don't count as foreigners for roster purposes. Castillo was definitely capped in last week's Colombia - Mexico friendly at DSG Park in Colorado.

Edgar Castillo dribbles into Guadalajara's area:

[​IMG]

2. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Being a Santos fan I can tell you that Castillo's call-up was well deserved. Although I think for Mexico he played as a winger his position is at LB. He's impressed me in every game. He isn't shy about going forward, dribbling, or going at defenders (I think he was a forward in school).

They were both born in the US (Las Cruces and El Paso), but because their parents were born in Mexico that makes them automatic citizens (according to the Mexican Constitution).

Sonny just played but didn't show too much but he hasn't seen many minutes. Like I said, Castillo has been vidal this season. He made a really nice one touch cross to Benitez (really good young Ecuadorian player), who juked a little laid off to Vuoso (Argentinian, nickname the Bull) who tapped in. He's worth the watch, their games are on almost every weekend here in the states.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It appears that another American citizen, Padilla, did not play for Chivas in this one. He's usually a sub, but not this time.