Sonia!

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by bennocelt, Mar 15, 2006.

1. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    see that the commonwealth games are on.......cheering on the Norfolk islands myself...hope they bring a few medals home...

Does anyone have an opinion on Sonia running for Australia.......I think its a bit greedy myself....she is over the hill....and why doesnt she let some young Ozzie girl take her place
    anyway...i never really did like her

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    She got the place on merit.

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hopefully she'll flop as usual...

4. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    How many World championship and European Championship (indoor and out), Olympic, and World Cross Country medals have you got Fr. Ted??? Sonia has won 8!! Picking up gold in all but the Olympics!!

How about former (not sure if she still holds the 2000m record as it is so rarely run) World records and Irish records???

If some of our footballers could be as much of a "flop" as her on the international stage we'd going to Germany

5. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    well come to think of it she has only got the silver olympic medal.....no cross country medals.....a european gold...and (im not sure) but a world silver.....
    but who cares...its running for chriss sakes...........for me she just rabbits on too much...i always preferred that romanian one....she ran like she was going to drop
    and the way she was whinging on about not getting the irish grant for the last olympics....jaysus
    i think ireland should forget about the olympics anyway...a load of
    bolli x...sure isnt winning in Cheltenham more than enough for the nation

6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    World/European Championships is to the Olympics as the League Cup is to the Champions League. Noone really cares that much if someone won the World Championships. The Olympics is the big one. People dont even bother cheating for the Worlds or Euros.

She's like Eamonn Coughlin. He won the World Championships when he gave that look when passing the Soviet guy. World Record holder in the indoor. But they both failed on several occasions in the big one.

7. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    She won the world cross country short race and long race in the same year and took a team silver- the first person to do so in 1998 (she also won 2 European golds that year) and won a world championship in 1995!

Thats ridiculous to say that the World Championships is as good as a league cup.... It is the best bar to an athletes position in the years in between Olympics and unlike indoor championships or something like the Commonwealth games- every top athlete in the world is at them!! Its maybe the equivalent of a European cup to the World Cup in terms of importance.

The only event she ever "flopped" in was the 1996 Olympics where tho the fastest runner in the world for the 2 previous years at 1500, 3000 and 5000 she got ill and was shit!! 1992 Oympics she was an unexpected 4th- beaten b 3 Chinese who were all later banned AFAIK, 2000 Olympics she was a surprising 2nd and 2004 she was happy just to be there....

8. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    no way
    are you sure you are not confusing her with the excellent Catriona Mckiernan...in the cross country
    i can only ever remember her never beating Gzabo or...for that matter Matulo

9. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Positive Caitriona has 3 silvers never won gold. As for Szabo Sonia hammered her in Europeans in 1998 on her way to gold- and continually beat her early in her career!!!
    No idea who Matulo is- Mutola races 1500 and 800, but by the time she came on the scene Sonia AFAIK had moved up from 1500 to 5000

10. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    hm mm
    looks like you might be right about the cross country...looked it up quickly on the net....very strange cause i dont remember it at all...must have passed the whole country by......
    but strangely i can always remember Mckiernan's races...........maybe people prefer hard luck stories...?....

11. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    well i guess my memory is a bit selective!...but im sure she did run against mutola in the 1500...before she moved up

by the way...can you remember the skinny Swede that ran against her?

12. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Yeah I could be worng bout Mutola, tho no race springs to mind.... As for the Swede nope?

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Or maybe just you?

14. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    She's after pulling out injured by the way!!!
    Now she's setting her sights on running in Europeans for us!!
    I do have to admit that I hope some young runners start coming through soon- Sonia doesn't look like she's gonna stop anytime soon and at 36 Id hate for all people to remember her by was shit performances at the end of her career

15. Gringocholo

Gringocholo New Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Dublin
    Ha ha ha Sonia:D :D :D