Sonia Bompastor returns to Olympique Lyonnais

Discussion in 'Washington Freedom' started by StarCityFan, Sep 28, 2010.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a loss for the Freedom.

3. Germantown fan

Germantown fan New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Given the World Cup the return to OL makes sense, but very disappointing for the Freedom. Anyone know the contract status with OL, and whether it could allow a return to the Freedom (or at least WPS) post-WWC?

4. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    Wow, losing Bompastor and Gabarra in the same day. Will the Freedom ever be the same again?

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw, for folks using google translate, I believe the " J'ai tourné la page de cet épisode malheureux" to which Bompastor refers is the ugly situation that developed w/ OL when she & Abily left NOT her time w/ the Freedom. There were hard feelings w/ OL.

6. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still pretty. Bummed about bomp. She was consistently fun to watch play.

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sonia gave an interview on OL tv and said her wage were $100 000 per season at the Freedom. I think they were well deserved.

8. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the Freedom don't exist anymore no I don't think they'll be the same.

9. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've GOT to be kidding!!?!! If her salary was even CLOSE to that then THAT is why 5 teams have already folded and WPS was on its deathbed in the offseason!!

That is horribly irresponsible paying her SO much for a league that hasn't even played a game yet!

If WPS wanted the league to survive they should've had all players making between $12K to $30K and just ONE designated player per team making about $50K. Then I bet most all teams would still be around today.

Don't think $12K is too little since until just recently the lowest rung MLS players were making about $12K.

Of course WPS players would get help with room and board and free health care.

10. blunt66

blunt66 New Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Her salary was not $100,000 US per season with the Freedom. She made $100,000 over two seasons but not per season. There were some players in the league making over $100,000 but only a handful and you can easily guess who they were.

This season I can bet there are at least 2-3 players making over $100,000 with magicJack because their owner wanted to buy the best. If owners want to pay players that amount or agree with their agents to pay that amount, then no one can be complaining, as long as those owners are the ones sticking around season after season.

Jim Gabarra is one of the smartest coaches in terms of getting the most bang for his buck. The Freedom did not fold because players were paid too much, it was because they couldn't put people in the stands and management did a crap job of finding investors and sponsors. They were the only team to not have a major sponsor or a jersey sponsor and they refused to change their thinking (i.e. going after the big fish as opposed to filling their tank with a lot of little fish to equal the same amount in sponsorship).

This season will be a crap shoot with no salary cap. I just hope all the teams, big budgets or not, can do what they need to do the keep this league around.

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But isn't the main reason Bompastor left is because she wanted to be close to the French WNT to prepare for the Women's World Cup this year?

12. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the primary reason. Another major reason was that OL got a new coach that she really liked.

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes he is a very likeable chap, I spoke with him recently as I did scouting report for him about Arsenal.
    Sonia was fantastic yesterday snapping and shouting at everyone organising the team. We can see that she has become a lot stronger after those 2 seasons in the WPS, same thing with Camille Abily.

14. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abily left too? For the same reason I take it? To prepare for the World Cup.

15. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thanks for posting this! I'm glad that being in the WPS has helped their game. Hopefully other foreign players will follow suit and come over. :)

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    A player like Louisa Necib who have definitely gained by playing for the Freedom when she was drafted. Shame she turned down the chance. The game intensity and physical pressure is so high in the USA, it helps turning the French girls who are technically proficient into total athletes.