Songs for England

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Maxheadroom, Dec 16, 2009.

1. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How about England fans to USA fans

You thought South Africa
    Was in South America
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

To the West Ham Paulo Di Canio tune[​IMG]

2. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong thread. Please go back to your England boards.

3. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Depends on the definition of "perfected." The Scots would give you a run for your money! They deep-fry pretty much anything that is soft, and does not move.

The USA has never won the World Cup. Deal with it.

Thats pretty good. Like that. You may be on to something there.

4. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England didn't deserve a World Cup win. Your winning goal never crossed the line. You're not better than Argentina.

5. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but what was the final score? 4-2? Which means if we, in hindsight, erase the goal that never was, that still leaves England 3-2 to the good.

So we still won.

And I never said we are better than Argentina.

If I had, I would have said "...and England is better than Argentina!" But I didnt.

6. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The 2nd German goal shouldnt have stood so a pretty irrelvant point.

A) Charlton was fouled and a German free kick was given.

B) Blatant Handball as the cross comes in

7. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you score that 4th goal when the Germans sent everyone forward?

IMO, that 4th goal was most similar to a hockey open net goal- it would not have happened if the game was tied 2-2.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    "Over There" is my favorite choice for the entire WC period (not only England), but it won't catch on because it will be drowned out by the ubiquitous "Go USA" chant anyhow. The really obvious and easy target would be the stuff about how Mrs Bridge is going down... (And I'd bet if it caught on, it'd even get a chuckle on your side of the aisle.)

Unfortunately, the gap in chants and fan culture is greater than the gap between the players. Pretty much the only one that everybody knows that we can sustain in a big stadium with full voice is "Go USA" which I'm really, really tired of.

The USSF made a decent TV promo at the beginning of the final qualifying round out of "Over There," which I thought was a pretty cool move. (More points for concept than execution, though.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCqZsFM7Sg8&feature=PlayList&p=747797A3E9E105E4&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=10"]YouTube- USA soccer over there[/ame]

9. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the end of the day the record books say that England won 4-2. Its a bit like Maradona's "hand of God" goal. We all saw what he did. We all know it should not have been, but it still stands in perpetuity. As much as we English like to hold it against him. It allowed Argentina to go on and win the cup.

Therefore, the US beat England in 1950. England won the whole party in 66. Both have something to wave in the others face.

10. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Well in my estimation, 66 is not valid because England won it when USA was not involved in the competition. If we had been, you can bet your bottom pound sterling that we would have beaten you again. You still have not defeated USA in a WC, no? Looks like America still have bragging rights!

:)

11. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I work on the simple ground of direct familial ties. My dad was alive to see England win, but born after the US win. Therefore the US win is of no relevance given that it is more than 2 generations removed from today.

12. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    From what I gather - USA fans dont really chant

You hear the odd USA USA like in wrestling or something however thats about it.

England will out sing you in every pub, in the stadium and after our easy victory as you well know. Our songs have been sung over generations of out glorious past. Infact most of our songs are older than the USA itself

It's our culture, pubs, fights, singing and football. Its what we do

Enjoy

13. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ENOUGH with the trolling. All future trolls will be booked.

14. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I didn't know that I was trolling, stating facts surely?

Sorry anyway

15. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dont bank on it being as easy as some in the English media would have you believe. England should win, and probably will. Does not mean its a dead cert.

Also, dont bank on the English fans easily drowning out the US fans. Plenty of them are going. And whilst the current repertoire of songs seems quite limited, does not mean one of them wont come up with a little gem on this forum to use. Football culture is growing in the US, and I expect the bag of songs to grow with it as well.

As long as the US fans can come up with something creative, should be OK. "Over there" seems to be a bit of a winner. Many have suggested singing about Wayne Bridges girl. Problem with that is that whilst it has proven annoying, she was his ex at the time, and they weren't married.

Could always come up with something about the US cavalry of the old "Wild West" days. One of the US' iconic images!

Over to the rest of you!

16. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About our different cultures and "our songs"

Something that I was fortunate enough to be part of was the winter Olympics in park City Utah.

bars, and busses filled with people from different countries and cultures were a defining image of the whole event. cars were banned from park city and everyone had to park miles away and buss to many events and the town.

this lead to crowds packed into busses standing room only with people usually a little drunk from all over. national pride is everywhere and many a song were sung.

what I learnt about my country is out songs kick everyone elses butt.... bare with me.

we may not have a 100 year old clever football chant, but we dominate world culture, and what was telling on those busses in Utah were that being American is sometimes not about being clever, its about being a little loud and obnoxious in a uniquely American way....

some of the songs that were sang that just crushed any other while on this little trip.....

believe it or not..... baby got back.. by sir Mix a lot

trust me, everyone knows enough of the words to get a very unique and catchy and clearly American song going. and with good voice. and trust me the players would know it was support for them.

I know this sounds crazy but i saw it, heard it and sang it. too funny actually.

other popular songs were "pour some sugar on me" that a big breasted canadian girl was inspired to do a strip tease to on the bus pole.... yeah it was interesting

these are "our songs"

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Technically, that's an English song. ;)

(The English didn't only give us the Stones, the Kinks, and Radiohead. They're also responsible for Def Leppard.)

As to the rest of the story... drunken party, Canadian girl, nudity... nothing shocking here...

18. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The typical English false sense of superiority is getting a bit old. You've won 1 World Cup and for some reason, you think you're God's gift to soccer. This is why it is so entertaining to watch England lose- because the inordinate amount of b*tching that goes on after you fall is hilarious. You'll blame the referee, the ball, your own players, the other team's players, or anything you can ever think of- but its never just a matter of England simply not being good enough. Not all England fans are like this, but a vast number of them are.

Bottom Line- Its entertaining to watch you lose at what you refer to as your "culture". Pubs- cool, you drink. Fights- great, you're thugs. You just think everything you do is better than everything anyone else does.

19. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Don't get wound up by him man he doesn't represent us, he's just trolling for a reaction.

Nearly every post is pure trolling and he's been warned about it today already.

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Ditto.

The overall English presence on our boards (taken as a sum total) has been appropriate, and in some cases, quite insightful. We're usually pretty good at spotting and ignoring our own trolls, and the same should apply to the English ones.

21. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

You'd be wrong.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3i8fx5AG1M&"]YouTube- USA anthem, game against Argentina[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIZL-FeD2E"]YouTube- USA fans singing against Cuba[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS2oK0J17Zs"]YouTube- USA Soccer Chants: Jaromir Jagr is a Girl[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eXG0lEgDl8"]YouTube- Times Square after Giants' Game - Soccer Chant[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxKtCrU05vs"]YouTube- USA soccer fans[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbHNVPUd0Dw"]YouTube- US soccer fans at Giants Stadium 6/8/08[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENj6ahOC83s"]YouTube- US Soccer fans clash with Mexican fans outside crew Stadium[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7VZY3XMDG0"]YouTube- USA Soccer Chants: Uh-ohhhh[/ame]

22. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little more recent (go to the page if it's not playing):

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsogood/4654747883/"]USA Supporters After Turkey Match on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

23. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 English Red Coats would be awesome!

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After following this thread for 28 pages, and that the moment of reckoning is nearly upon us, I have come to the following conclusion:

"Over There" and "God Bless America" are our best options, no matter where you're watching the game from.

I'll wake up the whole damn neighborhood here if I have to. :p

25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought the national anthem's second verse was the most poetic.

On the shore dimly seen, thro’ the mists of the deep,
    Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,
    What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep,
    As it fitfully blows half conceals, half discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,
    In full glory reflected, now shines in the stream;
    ‘Tis the Star-Spangled Banner, Oh long may it wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.