Songs For England Game

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by korey, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about the tune of " campeones campeones ole ole ole '' and we could just put in '' we own your champions we own your champions ole ole ole ''

Chase

2. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Two problems:
    1. The words don't fit at all.
    2. Most English fans hate Man United.
    3. You don't own them, the Glazers do.

3. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    One problem:

Two ≠3.

4. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    What? You don't think Malcolm Glazer has a Bigsoccer account :)

5. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    two solutions ( or three )
    1. if you say '' we own '' as one syllable, it works
    2. They are still the champions of the premier league
    3. The Glazers are American , and have pissed off the Man U fans in the past, so this is just rubbing it in.

6. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You think anyone other than United fans care? The rest of us are waiting for the inevitable car crash.

7. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    You go right ahead and sing that. In fact, I know of a couple of a decent bars in New Cross and Peckham where the locals will be glad to critique your vocal arrangements.

I'm a big US fan. But the team ripe for parody is us. Whether it's Arena making noise about coaching in the Premiership, pundits wondering if Kasey Keller was the best keeper in the world, Donovan predicting that Eddie Johnson would be the leading scorer at WC 2006, or the players telling Onyewu that he would be nuts to sign a contract with Middlesborough before the conclusion of the WC, the scene often bespeaks mindless hype and naivete. Throw in fans who read from song sheets, consider the 90 minutes a pretext for sneering inside jokes and just try too hard, and, well, the picture gets worse.

Show up to the game wearing a denim jacket, a faded t-shirt, khaki pants and some Ray-Bans. Leave the star-spangled bandanas at home. Cheer but don't carry on. And don't forget to watch the game.

8. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Hysterical.

Let's hope it's true.

9. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    One thing I can say with certainty.
    The Brits get very worked up when informed that their queen is a lesbian.

I've tried to work that into song, but the closest I come up with is:

He's gay. He's bent. His @ss is up for rent. Ol' Prince Charles, Ol' Prince Charles.

10. This actually works to the tune of Luna Mezzo Mare (aka "Oh Ma-Ma") made famous in those old cartoons where the white bouncing ball guided the viewer in a sing-along ... you know karaoke before it was cool. Listen for the chorus ... ignore most of the rest of the song:

F*** your tea, we threw it in the sea!
    F*** your tea, we threw it in the sea!
    Scones are dry, and cold should one's beer be!
    Now you'll see the Lions bested by the Yankee team!

History of the tune: http://www.bobshannon.com/stories/lazymaryback.html

Try the sample of it on iTunes, song title Luna Mezzo Mare artist Dean Martin. Download it, it's only a buck if you want to hear the chorus right. It is your grandfather's music, so be prepared for silliness.

11. Alternate lyrics:

F*** your tea! We threw it in the sea!
    Wonderful upgrades in dentistry!
    Now you'll see the Lions beaten by the Yankee team!

Have some fun with the 3rd line.

12. One more before bedtime ...

One-to-nil, like 19 and 50!
    Again you'll see the Yankees beating up the Limey team!

13. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    None of the Man U fans over here care about the Americans anymore. Now if we can go after Liverpool.... They really hate Hicks and Co.

14. phil106977

phil106977 New Member

May 11, 2006
    Colchester
    Just checked, link doesn't work as you have to be a member. Basically not very complimentary songs though!!

15. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, after a good day out at Nevada Smith's with some Empire Supporter's Club people, I would have to say that singing songs about such topics like Englishmen running away from Dunkirk in a fishing boat wasn't well-received by the English fans (most were apparently WH Utd).

Or songs about England not ruling the waves anymore. I figured that they would shrug songs like that off, but noooooooo...some of you English are quite the sensitive type.

16. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Considering most people in England have some family directly linked to Dunkirk, I'm not surprised. My mates grandad lost a leg on the beach thanks to a bomb. His boat (A small fishing craft) got sunk, and the next boat also got bombed, where the lower half of the other leg was blown off, along with his hand. Still, his squad managed to get him back home. Died last year. Nice guy. Given Britain entered the war woefully under-prepared (at the time), Dunkirk was seen as a 'victorious defeat.' Basically, saving a load of people from some pretty horrific conditions in German camps, and the vast majority of course, much later, where happy to be involved in the D-Day landings. Dunkirk is something we dont joke about, much. If we do, its within our cultural bounds. With your lot banging on about it, then the 'joke' is outside those bounds, and not such a good thing...

You havent watched "Last night of the proms" have you? Its a song for being ridiculously pompous. But has no bearing on 'real life.'

17. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Wow, you USA fans really are quality aren't you?

18. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not like our fans.

10 German bombers and No Surrender is real class... :rolleyes: