Songs for 2012 at PPL Park

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by chapka, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to do something where we get the whole section moving around. Something along the Timbers Army Tetris routine or even the "We Jump For Philadelphia".

And what's the big deal about wrapping your arm around a stranger's shoulder for a minute? Seriously guys, the outlying sections really need to pick up our game. I know we are young but we need to be more open to these kind of routines. I mean wouldn't it be cool to have the whole RE looking something like this?

2. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here is my suggestion, why don't me choreograph "Four Leaf Clover?" We still hold up our scarves but if possible we rotate and bounce. We would need the campos to lead but it would make the song more fun and less hymn like. In fact maybe we could just do the movement during the second go round of the song. Making the 20:10 minute of the match both a tradition and a celebration. Also I think having the scarves move around while singing would make a great visual display. PS, you some of you have wouldn't have to go through the hardship of putting your hands on your sweaty neighbor, god forbid:rolleyes:

3. sccaflagger74

sccaflagger74 Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Media, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I remember why I don't post here anymore.

4. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a big fan of a lot of the stuff we do in TRE, but I gotta say the Jump for Philadelphia thing is pretty cool. It's not some kind of extended chant, just a way to get people moving, and by some miracle from on high we actually got a good rhythm going. Why the fuss over the words or its repetitiveness or close physical contact with your neighbor (which can be optional anyway)? The best time to do JFP would be following goals, maybe post-Doop?

Two suggestions: I think some of our chants need to come up an octave: "We Love Ya", "Just Can't Get Enough", etc. Hitting those really low notes during some of our chants feels and sounds awkward (plus it doesn't project as powerfully).

Second: When we sing our version of When the Saints, why are we forcing Blue and Gold in there at the beginning when we could just say "The U"? Then we could stick to the original lyrics. So, "Oh when the U (Oh when the U), comes marching in (comes marching in), oh when the U comes marching in..."
    As of right now we say "The Blue and Gold" and completely cut out the "Oh when the". N'ah mean?

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you just did ...

:cautious::confused::eek:

6. schanbacher321

Jun 27, 2007
    I think part of the problem is that the river end is just a shitty shaped area for this kind of organized singing. When 139 starts songs/chants they just get ignored by the center and the center starts a song/chant overtop. When this happens, the over-organization of it kinda starts to bug people almost like us being organized and looking cool is more important than having fun. Especially when there is a guy walking across the front of the section screaming every song but slightly off beat because of how we only hear the echo of the center bouncing from the other side of the stadium. This is just annoying.

7. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're reading a bit too much into the situation. I don't think the chants started in the outer areas are intentionally ignored by the center, they're just not heard, that's all. I'm in 136 and I can remember more than one instance when a chant started by us was picked up by the center. Granted, we're a bit closer than 139, but you catch my drift. It only happens though when a lot of people get involved. If you have 7 people chanting something do you think it's gonna be heard and picked up by the center? Of course not.

With regards to your criticism of the design of TRE, I gotta say that it's starting to get tiresome (not calling you out individually. the argument has been made a whole bunch of times when this topic comes up). Supporters groups in South America, for example, have to deal with giant bowl designs that make TRE look intimate, yet they're still able to get everyone on the same page and it sounds great on TV and live. There really isn't THAT much space between 137 and 139. Ultimately it boils down to participation. If everyone were chanting and there weren't any dead pockets of silence then songs and chants would spread and there would be very little lag, if any at all. Just listen to the drum is all I gotta say, not the dude running across the front of the section.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The for the USOC against SKC..........................AC/DC's Have a Drink on Me..............the first few verses just for Peter Vermes :thumbsup:

Anyone thought of doing the Poznan? TRE would look pretty cool doing that.

9. schanbacher321

Jun 27, 2007
    I'm not saying they are intentionally ignoring the chants, just that their chants drown out the others a lot with their drums and kinda kills the fun of it sometimes by seeming over-organized. The truth is, the outer sections hear the echo...that's just how psychics works, so it throws it all off, then we get dirty looks. Because the people in the middle start the chant, the first we hear it is the echo. It isn't really a criticism of the TRE, just an observation of why this is happening.

10. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone else noticed that time (seconds) displayed on the scoreboard clock is 'sticky'? I mean some 'seconds' on there last longer than a second, and then the next few will flash by quickly or skip seconds entirely.
    That seems to screw up our start point for 4LC.

11. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed. But assumed I was seeing things.

12. broadsthooligans

broadsthooligans New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Two suggestions,
    First somebody suggested using songs by local bands as a basis for chants. I thought of the chorus from The Bloodhound Gang's Fire, Water, Burn.

The U, The U, The U is on fire x3
    We don't need no water let the ************************ burn
    Burn ************************, burn

Another idea I had that will probably get a bunch of hate from the punk-heavy crowd here, but came up on the ride home after the SKC USOC loss. Inspired by SKC and Call Me Maybe. I won't post a video for this one though.

He just fouled him
    and this is crazy,
    but here's his number,
    now card him, maybe

13. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chorus is lifted from a New York MC. Does that still count?

14. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a chant for tomorrow night's game for Steven Ireland.

Where's your grandma
    Where's your grandma
    Where's your grandma Steven I
    Is she dying or is she sleeping
    Or was it just a f**king lie

15. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Complaints about the profanity aside, I think this is a great idea.

16. timnumbertwo

timnumbertwo Guest

So assuming there is going big clamp down on the remaining folks hanging on to YSA and some sort of email will be sent out to the SOBs because of Don Garber's article about YSA...I was trying to think of a clever way to replace said stupid chant.

When the away goalkeeper goes to place the ball down on the pitch we should all call for silence by quickly going "Shhhh, Shhhhh, Shhhhhhh...." this will most likely quiet most/all of the river end and most of PPL if we all do it. When the goalkeeper starts toward the ball we all just start yelling/screaming to produce a wall of noise. If timed right, it should be fairly annoying and exceptionally loud...should be enough to startle the keeper.

17. etsjay

etsjay Member

Oct 31, 2011
    PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad idea. I also like changing the words to "YOUR SOCKS HAVE HOLES", said in the same cadence.

18. schanbacher321

Jun 27, 2007
    I think we should take the moral high ground...and just yell PENIS! at the top of our lungs in unison right before he kicks the ball. That'll throw him off!

19. steeleye5

steeleye5 Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire, Water Burn could also work for Adu. Whenever he decides to catch fire.

also made a tweek to your card him maybe chant

anyway, going through the thread now so maybe i haven't gotten to it yet, but has anyone figured out a chant for Hoppenot?

20. broadsthooligans

broadsthooligans New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We could always bring the Shots chant for Hoppenot with Hop where Seitz used to go

21. soccerman90

soccerman90 Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still support using "Oooooooooooh... CHEESESTEAKS!" for the goal kick chant

urchin repped this.
  22. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my suggestion for a chant for Soumare.

23. etsjay

etsjay Member

Oct 31, 2011
    PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if this had much traction anyway, but I would definitely come down as strongly opposed to using that chorus for any of our chants.
    I don't know if that song draws the connection in anyone else's mind, but to me that song (first released I think in '84) will always be associated with memories of the 1985 bombing of the MOVE house in West Philly. I know the song wasn't written about those events, but back then the song was definitely used in references to the fire. Even now when I hear that song the images that come to mind are not a music video or crowd enjoying a concert. When I hear that song I see the TV news footage of that fire burning out of control.
    Regardless of how you may feel about MOVE, I think everyone can agree that the result that day was tragic and it left a negative mark on Philadelphia history.
    I'm not bashing the idea, just pointing out one reason why it may be too sensitive of a reference for some people.

broadsthooligans repped this.
  25. Join or Die

Join or Die Member

May 31, 2009
    Local 138
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We need to turn "The blue and gold" in this now (The choreography)