Son Heung-min @ Tottenham Hotspur FC 2018-2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by ChaDuRi671, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    this VAR thing....

this time works out for TH n PK earned n scored by HK 1-0

2. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    wow, Chelsea really smart to try and hold to Hudson-Odoi. kid looks fantastic.

forcing Eriksen to stay so deep on that flank, helping out Rose...

3. sogyeokdong

sogyeokdong Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sonny out at 78'. Invisible today but after the first goal in the first half, Poch has been playing everyone back to hold out for a win rather than be put at the mercy of Chelsea's counter.

4. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sonny off for Lamela.

Spurs have barely seen the ball at their ft in the 2nd H. great team defending tho in their final third to snuff everything out by Chelsea.

5. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    a diff kind of W for Spurs today. Chelsea threw everything at them. Hazard was pulling ALL the strings today but they couldn't break Spurs (and lacked the finisher to do so).

phenomenal defending from Spurs. backline was excellent but MF helped out so much. Eriksen MOM and Trippier for once, was not a defensive liablity.

literally one chance for Spurs today and it was good enough for 1 - 0. VAR def got it right.

last match for Sonny vs ManUre on SUN before he jets.

seolseol repped this.
  6. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Chelsea hit the post and the bar. Unlucky to not score.

7. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    good pt. and that explains it! did not know. i thot he had a year left. obviously not in their plans, good to get £ for him before departure on free.

8. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If they want to be a serious contender for anything they needs these kinds of W's against top oppo. Blowing 5+ past lower mid-level teams isn't going to win a title.

Too bad Son didn't score though. Sort of strange to hear he didn't lol.

Kanuck and nmssis repped this.
  9. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yeah hear ya. he's been that good during his purple patch. he looked tired in the 2nd half. and tbf, never got service today.

yep, i think any long suffering Spurs supporter would say the teams of even a few yrs ago would have bottled it today (Juventus last season CL) or at least given up a late equalizer. these tight clean sheets are what have been missing in their past. they basically "Italia'ed" Chelsea in the 2nd H. to play team D like they did w/o Dembele, Wanyama, Dier or Toby on the pitch is really, really impressive. Gazza was solid too, even if he almost got handcuffed on the over hit cross. FB's were both really good and Dele and Eriksen really sat deep and helped to put out fires. it was only ever going to be something on the counter for Kane and Sonny today if they were to bag one in the 2nd H.

10. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Looks like he did pose somewhat of a threat, at least early on.

seolseol repped this.
  11. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    they did ok defensively, but not great. That 2nd half was all chelsea and Tottenham is lucky they didn’t concede.

It’s more like Chelsea had an awful day more than Tottenham did well.

12. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Several players playing CF atm (even Hazard now) but... Sonny keeping good company.

Squawka: RANKED: The top 10 wide forwards in the Premier League right now (JAN 2018)

1. Mo Salah (Liverpool)

2. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (The Arse)

3. Raheem Sterling (Man City)

4. Eden Hazard (Chelsea)

5. Son Heung-min (Tottenham)

- What an impact Son Heung-min is having on Tottenham at the moment. The South Korean has eight goals and five assists in the Premier League this season, all of which have come since the start of October.

Playing both as a wide forward and centre-forward at times, Son has proven himself to be vital to Mauricio Pochettino in arguably his best season at Spurs to date.

Tottenham are really going to miss him when he leaves for the Asian Cup.

Key stat: Only Harry Kane (14) has scored more Premier League goals for Tottenham than Son Heung-min (eight) this season.

6. Marcus Rashford (Man United)

7. Anthony Martial (Man United)

8. Richarlison (Everton)

9. Sadio Mane (Liverpool)

10. Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace)

13. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  14. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Sons of Thunder and jessypjs repped this.
  15. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    JoeKamel and nmssis repped this.
  16. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nah son, Cradle 2 the Grave 2

nmssis repped this.
  17. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

yeah, Rush Hour 5...North London Style :laugh:

18. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Continuing with the terribad movie theme... Romeo must die

19. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    this pretty well says all ya need to know about his form since his brace vs West Ham. he sits atop - 7 mins. ahead of Kun Aguero.

Angel Bear, datschge, jessypjs and 6 others repped this.
  20. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

can we call him "world class" now?

Kanuck repped this.
  21. TigersOfAsia2

TigersOfAsia2 Member

Toronto Maple Leafs
    South Korea
    May 12, 2017
    What makes a player "world class" anyways?

There's a very short list of players in the world with similar career numbers as Son. He's been remarkably consistent on a season by season basis and he's finally getting the recognition/exposure he deserves thanks to the English hype machine.

IMO, this is his breakout season where he really starts to establish himself.
    By the start of next season, I don't think Sonny keeps his tag as that underappreciated/underrated player anymore.

Sons of Thunder, nmssis and Kanuck repped this.
  22. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That term is different in every position, but I wouldnt call him word class yet, as much as I would like to. As an attacker, i feel like you need to not only score goals, but also be able to create, dribble, position oneself, and the ability to single handly impact matches. Son is a little too inconsistent and has trouble making an impact in difficult matches when there are hardly any space.

23. TigersOfAsia2

TigersOfAsia2 Member

Toronto Maple Leafs
    South Korea
    May 12, 2017
    Yeah I hear you. Thats always been the knock on him on these boards. Hazard for example is a guy with similar numbers as Son but has so much more influence on games even when he doesn't score with his ability to dictate pace and drive play forward when his team needs him to.

But I think we can all agree that this season, Son has made considerable improvements in those aspects of his game.
    I would honestly say he's on the cusp on becoming world class. His ability to shoot and finish as a winger is very unique. He's the kind of player I would expect to age very gracefully as he eventually makes that transition from the wings to a striker.

Kanuck repped this.
  24. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    World Class is such a loose term, and everyone has their own criteria as to what World Class is.

Son is a top 5 winger in the Premier League this year, a top 3 league in the world. You can make the argument that he would be a top 15 winger in the world. We would need to make a comprehensive list to fully determine that. But would you say a top 15 winger should be classified as a World Class?

Me personally, no. I believe World Class should be a small exclusive club. Maybe Top 50 in all positions should be classified as World Class. Does Son crack that list? I very much doubt it. But like TigersofAsia said, he's on the cusp of becoming World Class.

Kanuck repped this.
  25. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    He's one tier below world class.