Son Heung-min @ Tottenham Hotspur FC 2017-2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Gayageum, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think the forum typically associates number 9 to goalscoring. And currently, Son is the best on the KNT in finishing. So it's not illogical to put one and two together and think that it might work. Frankly, having Son play number 9 in some of the friendlies leading up to the WC might not be the worst thing in terms of tactical flexibility. While having a number 9 creates more space for everyone else to operate, winger Son will still likely be double marked by their DM and backs. Opposing fullbacks will likely be way more cautious when pushing up as its well-known that Son needs space to run and utilize his pace.

Overall, I think Son as a number 9 striker wouldn't be the best idea. His first touch isn't that great and his holdup play and ability to soak up pressure for others isn't the best. When I think of Son as a 9, he'd have to play rather like Kun Aguero instead of someone like Lukaku or Kane. If the KNT truly has no one else to play striker, Son as a 9 wouldn't be eyebleedingly awful.

2. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    We're going to need to play a 4-4-1-1 of some sorts. SHM will need to be roaming in a free role behind one of HHC/LKH/SHJ up top.

If we place him up top by himself in a 4-5-1, then imo he will be marked out of the match and we won't have a true scoring threat unless KJC is playing a role similar to what we see Dele Ali play yesterday and the scoring burden is placed on KJC instead.

12th Player repped this.
  3. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    :thumbsup: 1-1 behind whoever has a hot foot would be the best way to use him - for pure scoring. and exactly my thoughts from prev, i think we'd all agree if he's left up top alone, he'll be marked out. i mean can you imagine against Germany? the lad wouldn't see the light of day. we'd be completely reliant on 2ndary scoring barring a mistake by the Germans letting Sonny get free.

4. Ceezy

Ceezy Member

Jun 10, 2014
    STY worried about SHM burnout. LOL, don't we often have the opposite problem?

The Hyphen repped this.
  5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's the holdup play thats the biggest concern and we saw what a difference it made in last WC, just having somebody to occupy defenders even if kinda useless like KSW.

6. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Watch STY play Son 180 minutes just to try to win meaningless friendlies

Sons of Thunder, chook90, msc43 and 2 others repped this.
  7. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Typical STY.

chook90 and Kanuck repped this.
  8. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Not to defend STY, but I think any KNT manager would have done the same XD

9. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'd like to see Son get about 120-140 minutes in the next friendlies to try different formations. Son in the 9 spot and different formations like an aggressive diamond 4-4-2 or would be pretty interesting to see in matches that are frankly meaningless.

batumchange2 repped this.
  10. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    It's not meaningless actually.. We only have 5 matches left bf WC.

11. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It depends on what gets accomplished in a match. Frankly, I don't care if soo plays every March and Korea loses if we are trying different lineups and formations. If we are doing the same type of tactics and play, it's not even worty it for soo to play an entire 90 given that he usually gets subbed...

However, I can't recall the manger of the knt at the time who called up son, ki, and several other players from Europe and didn't even play them. That's the kind of stuff that makes you facepalm and say they're definitely meaningless .

12. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Results dont matter at all. We need to use these matches wisely to test everything. But, the thing is, the team should have been already "ready" for WC.... Fking KFA..

13. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is fking unbelievable.

Sons of Thunder, chook90, Kanuck and 4 others repped this.
  14. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    thanks for posting that. just to be clear for peeps who may not know. the Sky fantasy rankings on the left are for this past weekend's PL fixtures. considering Sonny's monster game away at Dean Court not surprising he led the week.

rankings on the right are accumulated pts for the season. 16th on the season is really impressive in what is really, his first regular season starting. Absolute class players in the top 20. with Spurs relying on Sonny to lead the attack going forward, cracking the Top 15 and getting close to the Top 10 would be phenomenal.

15. GoonerDoz

GoonerDoz Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Sydney - Bangkok
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sonny has been on fire of late, was so good to see the Spurs fans singing his song....about time!

Kanuck repped this.
  16. GoonerDoz

GoonerDoz Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Sydney - Bangkok
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Good to see Ki high up in the Power Rankings too ;)

chook90, melonbarmonster and nmssis repped this.
  17. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yeah, absolutely mate. he wouldn't be as isolated, but in reality we don't have the horses to play that shape, so moot...

18. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    good catch, did not see that

GoonerDoz repped this.
  19. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    4-4-2 with Son as one of top two has been the best so far. We should just stick with it. STY isnt good enough to come up with better strategies anyway.

20. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I agree. We looked good in a simple 4-4-2, and Son was highly efficient. I also think LKH or HCH playing the other forward position will benefit either one of those guys as well.

And hate to say it but a lot of our players do not have the football IQ to play a more complex formation.

21. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    let alone our coach. :(

toohyper repped this.
  22. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    sorry my BAD...

straight from Sky Sports: The Power Rankings methodology reflects a player's performance over the last five match days by awarding points to players for 32 different stats.

so it's indicative of who has been hot over the last month or so of fixtures. makes sense that Sonny would be pushing Silva and Ki in there too. Aurier at #6 otoh, i'm scratching my head over.

melonbarmonster repped this.
  23. Gayageum

Gayageum Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Indeed. I'm too lazy to calculate the average per minute to see what the total accumulation would look like per 90 minutes for each of the players on the list, but I wouldn't be surprised if Son shoots up even higher if the scores were distributed by per minute statistics.

Kanuck repped this.
  24. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yeah good pt. i saw reference to that somewhere a while back. i think he's been consistently very good return for mins played for Spurs. numbers helped by the fact that unlike in Bundesliga, @spurs, for the most part, the moment he gets cold - Poch has usually benched him. this season everything changed for him breaking into the starting XI.

25. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Latest week count the most, and player get loads for goals and assist.
    It's not so much overall performance, Aurier both scored and gave an assist last game.

Kanuck repped this.